Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 20, 2005, 08:02 PM
    The fence
    Should the United States build a fence along our southern border with Mexico?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2005, 08:10 PM
    Fence
    Two, and some level of security between them.
    In the military areas such as nuke missile base, they have automatic guns that shot anything that moves within an area.

That should must certainly slow them down abit.

We actually lecture other nations about the security of their borders.

And then of course make it a serious crime to be in the country illegal.
    Now police will not even detain an illegal, since Immigration don't want them
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Nov 20, 2005, 08:42 PM
    I really do believe they should, living out here in California it's outrageous seeing some of this stuff that goes on out here, and I would suspect it's just as bad in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. I think it needs to happen because no longer is this country needing immigrants.This country has changed from what is was in the early 1900's when around 8, 500,000 immigrated to the U.S. from 1900-1910, we don't have that many positions to fill anymore yet they keep coming. And when the world population rises, it seems likely that more and more will come. Just because there is more people doesn't mean there is more land. However, a fence is a very primitive way of keeping them out, I hope that America and Mexico could work together so that Mexicans will want to stay in their country and have pride in where they come from. I believe that is the best way to prevent immigration.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 20, 2005, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Should the United States build a fence along our southern border with Mexico?
    My brother lives in Las Vegas and would definitely agree with this,that's why he's moving to Oregon. This however, would not be necessary if the Mexican politicians were not so darned currupt and start caring about it's people, instead of keeping them all poor. But then again, maybe Canada should put up a fence too now... don't get me started... :mad:
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 20, 2005, 08:57 PM
    Or, once that fence is up, let them in and make them get good paying jobs to pay taxes, and also put on a uniform instead of letting them take the money back home and using them as cheap labor- there's a double standard here and it should be stopped. Even though illegally in the US, they put up with abuse, minimum wages - kind of makes you think of what it's like in their country...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2005, 05:55 AM
    Fence
    Hi,
    Very good question.
    The problem is that those who patrol the borders can't get enough money from the Federal Gov't. We need more patrols, more people, better equipment, and it all costs money; Federal money. The money isn't there, cause it's being spent in every other country in the World!
    The US is trying too hard to protect other countries' borders and we here at home are left out in the cold. Until this is curtailed somewhat, nothing will change.
    Many doctors here in my own local area are from other countries. They keep up their Visas, are not US citizens, and don't pay US taxes, but drive Mercedes and live in "mansions".
    Many things will have to change before anyone is going to build double fences around any part of the US. The fencing we already have leaves a lot to be desired, with many finding ways to get over it. Money is the key to protecting our borders, and it falling way, way behind, along with money for Social Security, Medicare, and prescription help for our Seniors.
    Unless those spending money in Congress wake up and smell the roses, the spending will not stop, much less to control our Mexican borders.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 21, 2005, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Very good question.
    The problem is that those who patrol the borders can't get enough money from the Federal Gov't. We need more patrols, more people, better equipment, and it all costs money; Federal money. The money isn't there, cause it's being spent in every other country in the World!
    The US is trying too hard to protect other countries' borders and we here at home are left out in the cold. Until this is curtailed somewhat, nothing will change.
    Many doctors here in my own local area are from other countries. They keep up their Visas, are not US citizens, and don't pay US taxes, but drive Mercedes and live in "mansions".
    Many things will have to change before anyone is going to build double fences around any part of the US. The fencing we already have leaves a lot to be desired, with many finding ways to get over it. Money is the key to protecting our borders, and it falling way, way behind, along with money for Social Security, Medicare, and prescription help for our Seniors.
    Unless those spending money in Congress wake up and smell the roses, the spending will not stop, much less to control our Mexican borders.
    I'm not sure this is applicable to all, as when you have a car, you need a license, and when owning property, you have to be 'registered' somehow, and therefore probably need a social security card to work too, so I think they do pay taxes. The ones that are illegally in the US don't pay taxes, that's the majority of the 'low paid' workers. If the physicians from other countries are allowed to practice in the US they also have to go through tests and accreditations to get their license to practice medicine in the US, unless they do this in basements and illegally working - then they would not make their lifestyles so obvious.. Just a thought...
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Nov 21, 2005, 04:13 PM
    NO FENCE. We nedd a cement wall 15 ft high with barbedwire, it should be about 12 feet wide so two vehicles could pass by on it, and we should have border patrol constently patroling the wall with sniper rifles. (Just because they have sniper rifles doesn't mean I think they should shoot everybody, purily intimidation.) *back to rational thought* yes, something needs to go up.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 21, 2005, 04:35 PM
    This is a distraught and depressing issue.. Maybe a time-machine should be constructed and used by the American Native Indians to biuld those cement walls to prevent immigrants from moving in to seek freedom of persecution and striving for a better future. Why the heck can't the currupt politicians be gotten rid of so that the world could concentrate on true brotherhood and peace. Are there any votes for a new planet? This one is going to hell and I really don't want to be around. I feel sorry for the future generations and leaders.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif Can we really in all good conscience let this go on?
    Expert

Nov 21, 2005, 04:44 PM
    Comment on Chery's post
    I feel you!!
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Nov 21, 2005, 05:22 PM
    Economy/Terrorism
    I will admit that having illegals can help the economy by taking the low-end jobs, however, we are losing so much money because somehow they find ways of getting benefits. A fence, or wall, or what not would not be necessary if we reformed our welfare program etc, so that these people couldn't use them. However, aside from the economics discussion, I feel the fence should go up due to the war on terror. It won't be long until (or maybe it's already happening) we are being attacked on the main land because it's so easy for people to cross the border. It's a liablility issue. I agree, that illegals are just trying to make a living and imporve their living situation, they don't really affect me at all, but with the latter issue of terrorism, I have to conclude that something must go up.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Nov 21, 2005, 07:25 PM
    I think we have to remember that some people out there just don't want peace, and there will always be corruption on this planet, there can and never will be a utopia, as easy as it is to do something good it is even easier to do something harmful and you cannot have one with out the other. It sort of ying yang. But we can improve it, I think that instead of improving this country for them, we should improve their country for them, because we are running out of room, and it will create problems if not already being a nuissance, so a wall yes, but maybe one that can open both ways.
    Expert

Nov 23, 2005, 10:58 PM
    TheFence
    As a baptized american the thought of a fence along the southern border of the U.S. sort of offends me,it goes against everything american that I grew up believing in.Even in today's world of fanatical terrorist just the thought of a fence just boggles my mind.Its a real shame that some of these ivy league politicions can't at least solve some of the problems facing us now,such as homeland security and illegal immigation.We've already got ordinary citizens patroling the border along with the border patrol and still they come.If mexicans can get through so can terrorist.What a world! Well the chinese built a wall I guess we can at least build a fence.I can go along with it but my heart just ain't in it. :confused:
    Metallic Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jun 25, 2007, 11:09 AM
    I'm not sure what I would say whether we should or shouldn't but think about what America is supposed to stand for. The people and freedom and welcoming anyone and everyone. The whole philosophy is hell because it's going to kill us in the end we'll just welcome terrorists because we didn't know they were. I mean it's a load of bull and a double standard live one way or live the other. On the other hand I do understand a little how mexicans coming into America without going through the right channels to get here could be a problem. The way the government is it could take a year or two to get through the right channels eh? I don't blame them and I don't believe we should do something like that but I do believe they should go through the right channels it's just the government isn't doing their part. And about terrorism, like 9/11 so clearly stated, if you're a terrorist you're a little smarter than just rushing in to America illegally... you would most likely get here become a citizen work your way up and then make a move... Although China wouldn't really have to do that most anyone else would.
    Gsxr13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jun 28, 2009, 10:34 PM

If you can't go over or around it... go under it. A fence will not fix anything. It will just make the coyotes more money from having to charge more to cross people just wanting to work and make some money.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsxr13 View Post
    If you can't go over or around it...go under it. A fence will not fix anything. It will just make the coyotes more money from having to charge more to cross people just wanting to work and make some money.
    Install turrets? :p

If they want to come over and make money then they should do it legally.

EDIT - Whoops I just realised how old this question is, sorry!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    If they want to come over and make money then they should do it legally.
    Hello s:

It's still a viable question, and you're still wrong. In order for your answer to be correct, there would have to be a viable legal way to get in... There isn't.. It takes about $5,000 and about 5 years... That's not going to work for a hungry family with a husband who just wants to feed his family.

excon
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 09:18 AM

It's a double edged sword, while the immigrants coming to America do work the low level jobs, during this economy it would be needed. But that's not my main concern, my main problem is immigrants getting tax breaks when they come here and committing crimes with the only punishment, being sent back only to return again. Forget the fence, build a wall.

Hire some wall defense personnel to guard the wall, it won't eliminate the problem, but certainly slow them down.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    But that's not my main concern, my main problem is immigrants getting tax breaks when they come here and committing crimes with the only punishment, being sent back only to return again.
    Hello Rome:

You're wrong on a couple of counts. I don't know what tax breaks they get. As a matter of fact, they have taxes deducted, but can't file a return to get the overpayment back, like you can. So, they PAY taxes. If there's a benefit or two they get, they're paying for 'em, just like you and me.

The other thing is the criminals... They don't get off... What do you think kind of prison system we're running here. We, for SURE, ain't no softees. No Siree. We make them do TIME, and THEN we deport them. I don't know if they come back or not.

excon
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 09:28 AM

The tax breaks I am talking about are the ones that they are allowed 7 years without paying taxes, to establish residency here. A lot of the immigrants get them. This is from NJ, but they also get money to get started as well.(worked for the department that gave out these checks, didn't stay long because I got too angry)

And personally, I feel out legal system is a joke and completely imbalanced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fence Repair [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a wood fence with 4x4 posts.Some are leaning.Is there an easy way to straighten them out without removing them? Soil is normal--light clay and earth Thanks!

Fence Repair [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a wood fence with 4x4 posts.Some are leaning.Is there an easy way to straighten them out without removing them? Soil is normal--light clay and earth Thanks!

Installing wooden fence [ 8 Answers ]

I want to hire someone to install a new wooden fence. Like to pay him for the job but curious as to how many hours would it require one person to put in 120 feet of fencing. Includes 15 posts and required 2X4's and 6 inch boards. Posts to be installed with concrete. Two gates. Rough estimate is...

Wood fence [ 1 Answers ]

I want to build a fence 8 ft tall and I am requested by the city engineered wind load calculations for 90 miles per hour, sustained for 3 seconds. How do I calculate this? Thanks for any help

Leaning Block Fence [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for advice on how to straighten a leaning block fence. The problem looks something like this (sorry for the poor graphic): ----------| | -----------| | Fence leaning to left, away from yard -----------| | ------------| | ------------| | -------------| | -------------| ...

View more questions Search