Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ckbrownla Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2019, 12:19 PM
    My boss has a Quorum Duchess fan
    My boss has a Quorum Duchess fan, SKU 311525-68. It is controlled by a Emerson SW95 wall-mounted speed control. The issue is that the fan will not start when the wall switch was turned to the first position. I located a replacement capacitor at Gulf Coast Ceiling Fans by talking to Mr. Mike. The capacitor has 2 values on the label, 4uf and 5uf. The capacitor is wired like this: 2 Yellow wires are connected to the union of the 4uf and the 5uf cap. There is a gray wire connected to the 4uf cap and a Pink wire connected to the 5uf cap. Each capacitor has a 330K resistor connected across it. I also have a photograph of the data printed on the capacitor, if that helps.

I replaced the old capacitor with the new one after verifying the two yellow wires were shorted.
    After replacing each wire one at a time, we tried the fan. It did not turn. I tested the wiring to be sure that the wires were tight and in contact.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 11, 2019, 12:42 PM
    A simple test for capacitor driven motor is to start the fan blades spinning with your hand and then turn the fan on. If the fan starts operating properly the capacitor is either incorrect or to weak.

A simple test for capacitor driven motor is to start the fan blades spinning with your hand and then turn the fan on. If the fan starts operating properly the capacitor is either incorrect or to weak.

Feb 11, 2019, 01:06 PM
    Mr. Don, Thanks for the fast reply. I wish it was that simple. I did try spinning the fan blades by hand and then turning the fan on. I tried this with both the pull chain switch in the side of the fan and 120VAC on. And then I tried it with the Emerson wall control. The fan just would not keep turning. Also, there no humming sound from the fam motor either time.

Feb 12, 2019, 08:11 AM
    Quorum Duchess fan, I need to convert it to single speed(fast)
    My boss has a Quorum Duchess fan, SKU 311525-68. It is controlled by a Emerson SW95 wall-mounted speed control. The issue is that the fan will not start when the wall switch was turned to the first position. I bypassed the speed control by jumping the fan wire to the L1 120VAC wire. It still did not run.

I thought that the motor capacitor might be bad. I located a replacement capacitor at Gulf Coast Ceiling Fans by talking to Mr. Mike. The capacitor has 2 values on the label, 4uf and 5uf. The capacitor is wired like this: 2 Yellow wires are connected to the union of the 4uf and the 5uf cap. There is a gray wire connected to the 4uf cap and a Pink wire connected to the 5uf cap. Each capacitor has a 330K resistor connected across it. I also have a photograph of the data printed on the capacitor, if that helps.

I replaced the old capacitor with the new one after verifying the two yellow wires were connected inside just like the old one.

After replacing each wire one at a time, we tried the fan. It still did not turn. I tested the wiring to be sure that the wires were tight and in contact.

I called the customer support at Quorum International and asked for a diagram of the fan wiring. They said that the fans were built overseas and there were no diagrams for the fans in their hands.

That is what I have right now. Over to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be prevented legally from socializing with my boss by the big boss? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been best friends with my boss for years and she then became the boss of our company which is under an umbrella of a bigger company. We and our families have been very close for many years and she has been my boss for 4 years. Recently she was told she is no longer allowed to socialize with...

Orange wire on quorum astra ceiling fan? [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyon eknow what to do with the thin orange wire from the motor on the Quorum International AStra model ceiling fan? The instructions do NOT address this wire at all, nor does the Quorum remote kit talk of this wire. Pleae advise.

A former boss talking dirt to a new boss [ 3 Answers ]

Good Evening, So, I worked for a jewelry store for a few months before relocating to another location to finish college. After I moved, I applied at a competator's company in at a mall store. At my former job, my manager and I did NOT get along. She would constantly change the schedule without...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search