Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paulmartha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2013, 01:21 AM
    1099-DIV received for my child: Do I report the dividends?
    I received a 1099-DIV for my under-18 child. I am listed as the custodial parent. Do I need to report the Qualified and Ordinary Dividends as reported on the form on my taxes?
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Feb 3, 2013, 08:02 AM
    You do not have to report the child's investment income on your return. The child can file a return and pay the taxes due, but part of the income may be taxed at the parent's rate (known as the kiddie tax). However, you can elect to report the child's income on your return if you meet the requirements.

You may want to review this:

Tax Topics - Topic 553 Tax on a Child's Investment Income
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2013, 01:26 AM
    If the dividend income is more than $950 (with no other income), child is required to report this income.
    So if it is less than $950, you need not do anything.
    Your U.S. Tax Return

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to report dividends on multiple funds in one 1099-DIV form [ 5 Answers ]

I received a 1099-DIV from The Hartford Mutual Funds and in there it listed 5 funds separately with their own dividends and capital gain distributions. When reporting this source in my Federal tax return, do I add up the numbers in each category (e.g. ordinary dividends, etc) and report the total...

Tax on 1099-div qualified dividends for Indian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

I changed my visa from F1/OPT to H1B in October last year. Reading response to some of the questions it seems I have to file 1040-NR this year. My question is related to 1099 forms. As far as I know I don't have to pay any taxes on 1099-INT , however I have question about the taxes on 1099-div...

How to report 1099-DIV? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099-DIV with, lets say, $70.00 in box 1a and box 1b. I still hold the stock which has a "paper loss". Do I still have to report the amount in box 1a. And what can be done with box 1b? Thank you for any help with this matter. I always do my own taxes (the old school way), and...

Deadline for receiving 1099-DIV's [ 1 Answers ]

What is the deadline for receiving my 1099-DIV's? Isn't there a date by when they are suppose to be sent to me?

1099-div [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased mutual funds in December 06 from T-Rowe Price and received 1099-DIV tax forms recently. I have small amounts of money reflected in the ordinary dividends and capital gain distributions boxes. Is it necessary to report these small amounts on my taxes? Thanks, John

View more questions Search