Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrEyeGuy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2011, 10:19 AM
    Why can't compact fluorescent bulbs be used on photo cell switches?
    I'd like to use compact fluorescent bulbs on a photo cell circuit to save energy, but the manufacturer doesn't recommend it. Is it just because they won't last as long, or are there other concerns. If it is only a longevity issue, how much is the life shortened? Nobody I've comtacted seemsc to be able to answer this. Please Help a dumb eye Doctor!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 10, 2011, 11:12 AM

Please clarify - which manufacturer recommends against it? The photo cell manufacturer, or the CFL manufacturer? If you can provide a link that might help as well.

BTW - here's a link to a CFL with built-in photocell - perhaps that would solve your problem? Satco S7347 23W Photocell =100W CFL
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2011, 12:06 PM

It's because a photocell acts as a dimmer.

You can try using dimmable CFLs with the photocell and see if they work.
    jiminkirkland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2011, 03:31 PM
    Old wives tales I think. I have 12 lights worked off a photo cell switch (dusk to dawn operation). I used to use 25 watt incandescent bulbs that blew out about 3 times per year. As an experiment I invested in CFLs and have had them in the same fixtures with the same photocells and have not had to replace a single one in over a year. The savings in maintenance time alone is worth it, but in addition the new bulbs are 5 watt versus 25 watt and cost about $2.10 each (ordered on the internet) versus $1.00. All in all a good investment and worthwhile ignoring the foolish instructions to not use CFLs with photocells!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced a ballast and bulbs in fluorescent light fixture and now the bulbs flash [ 0 Answers ]

Replaced a ballast and bulbs in a fluorescent light fixture and now the bulbs flash what is causing this

Fluorescent bulbs on dimmer? [ 13 Answers ]

I put 11 recessed can lights in my new kitchen. They work great, but obviously they draw a lot of power (they're each 100w). Are there any fluorescent bulbs out there that will work well on a dimmer? I tried the standard type that I've replaced other bulbs with, but they flicker when the dimmer...

Q's About Compact Fluorescent Recess Lighting [ 9 Answers ]

I have a couple q's about some of the compact fluorescent recess lights I've been looking at from Halo. I'm planing out some lighting for the front of my garage and I will be using these in the soffits in front of the garage door for accent lighting/wall wash. I'm curious what the difference is...

Compact fluorescent lamps in ceiling fans [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible to use compact fluorescent lamps in a Continental Hunter fan (model 23843) and also two Hunter Allendale fans (model 28023)? Also would like to use them in my Hampton Bay Huntington 2 fan (3 lights)? Thank you...

Compact Fluorescent Spring Lamps [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I've noticed that certain brands of compact fluorescent light bulbs (sometimes called "spring lamps" because of the way the bulb is shaped) will light up immediately upon flipping the switch (like a regular incandescent bulb), while others, such as GE, will have a noticeable "lag time"...

View more questions Search