Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmillerchemist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 01:34 PM
    Ceiling Fan
    "My hampton Bay three speed ceiling fan works fine on high and medium, but on low, it barely rotates and I can't really hear the motor running. It is run by pullchain. I opened the housing and the black box, which may be a capacitor, shows signs of melting. Would this cause a problem with only the low speed and if so, is it easy to replace?"
    GaryStaunton Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2010, 07:49 PM
    Rather easy, simply take the unit down and throw it in the bin, go out and buy a new unit.

There's a reason that the unit is showing signs of something melting... it's faulty and for the price of a new unit you will save yourself time and money.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2010, 02:16 PM

Capacitors are replaceable and much cheaper than an entire fan. You need moderate knowledge to do the swap

Nov 24, 2010, 02:58 PM
    There's only one way to find out - replace the capacitor and see what happens. There still may be an underlying problem that caused the capacitor to burn out in the first place, I would assume that replacing the capacitor may "melt" it again or cause some other problem within the unit. I do realise that replacing the unit is more expensive than replacing the capacitor, but peace of mind is what I'd go for.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2010, 04:03 PM

I hear you but capacitors frequently fail just because they want to, nothing else is bad to make them fail, they just do it all on their own

Nov 24, 2010, 04:25 PM
    In that case, go for it - it shouldn't be too hard to replace the capacitor if you've got the right equipment (which I assume you do). Again, my only concern would be the fact the it's melted/burnt, "usually" when they fail, they don't burn out, but not un-common to do so. Good luck with it ;-)
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2010, 04:50 PM

Is it a remote fan?

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to wire ceiling fan switch and 2-3way light switches for ceiling lht/fan combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have 1 single pole switch for fan, and 2 three way switches to run light only. The power in is by the double box that will house the fan switch and the #1 light 3way. The other box houses the other three way switch. My fan switch is turning the light on and off, the three ways are doing nothing....

Two switch Ceiling Fan and Ceiling Fan light [ 2 Answers ]

I have two on and off swtich one use to control the ceiling fan and another one use to control ceiling fan light. Handy man changes the ceilng fan light. I wasn't home and wifey paid him without checking what going on Now both the switch either turn off the entire thing or turn on the entire...

Controlling ceiling fan and ceiling fan light [ 2 Answers ]

I have someone who installed a ceiling fan with light and I told them how to hook it up but they want to work the light from the switch and have the ceiling fan going when the switch is off. I told them they would need 2 switches instead of one which powers the fan and light and can only be...

Ceiling Fan-One switch, ceiling, 3 white, 3 black, red [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan I am replacing. There is one wall switch. In the ceiling there is 3 black wires connected together, 3 white together and a red. I didn't notice any other wires and evidently, wrongly assumed the red was a ground. I connected the fan black and blue to the ceiling black and...

Ceiling fan wiring, 2 blk, 2 what, 1 red, 1 grn from ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

I am attempting to install a hampden bay minuet 2 fan. The prexisting ceiling wires consist of two black, two white, 1 red, and my ground wire. A basic lite fixture was installed previously and controlled by a single wall switch. The wall switch has 1 red on the bottom and two black on the top...

View more questions Search