Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mobamp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 08:22 PM
    Can a dog get rabies when he has his shots
    My dog got into a tussle with a possom. We think he got bit but he has his rabies shots. Is it possible he can get rabies from this? Thank you for your time.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2006, 04:50 AM
    Hi, mobamp,
    Anything is possible, but that is what the rabies shots are for... to protect him/her from it. The chances are good that the dog won't be affected.
    I highly suggest taking your dog to the Vet, and get it checked out.
    Best of luck.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Apr 22, 2006, 08:45 PM
    Did you check your dog for broken skin where this possum might have bit him? If there is no broken skin, you have no worries. You can have a blood test done to see if your dog has rabies but b-4 spending time and money, check the dog for broken skin first, especially when you say 'might' have gotten bit.
    howards girl Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2006, 11:51 AM
    If his rabbies shots are up to date he should be fine. If there is a break in the skinn you should have him checked for infection including parasitic infections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog Yearly Shots? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello~ I was wondering if any of you know how much it cost for a dog's yearly shots? For a beagle? Are family is planning a Beach Trip and need to board are 3 beagles and get there shots... *but are vet is not open until Tuseday* So I was wondering if any of you knew how much it cost for ...

Question on shots [ 5 Answers ]

I am giving away one of my dogs. Her name is skippy. This dog just showed up on our farm as a stray, and I am not longer able to take care of her, due to being in college and about 3 hrs away. I have had her for a few years, but have not kept her up on her shots. Now the family that I am going to...

Rabie Shots [ 6 Answers ]

When Are Puppies Suppose To Get There First Rabie Shot

Rabies? Kujo? [ 2 Answers ]

I was at my uncle ans aunts farm, and they have a st.bernard. He's very nice and friendly... most of the time, but the last time I was out, me and my mom were sitting in the shade with the dog. And petting him, and he went haywire, and bit me and my mom, and a 200 pound dog biting you doesn't leave...

Distemper Shots [ 9 Answers ]

I am a new puppy owner & going through the series of shots needed. My pekingese has gotten 1 distemper shot & her rabies shot (on separate days); however, after her distemper she was crazy. It appeared as if she forgot her name & she barly walked around. She was rolling everywhere and flipping...

View more questions Search