Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anaika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Does poverty cause crime?
    What are the main reasons people make crime?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 10:43 AM
    low moral values. Drugs cause many crimes, the social use leads to habits, habits lead to crimes to pay for habits.

But then one could even say that laws lead to crimes, if there were no laws, there would be no crimes.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2008, 10:49 AM
    No, I would not say that poverty causes crime.

I would say, like Fr. Chuck, low morals and drugs cause crime. Especially drugs.

If you watch the news, many of the rich and famous, have fallen to crime ways, so poverty is not the insticator to crime.

There are good, honest and hard working people, who fall into the poverty category, but they hold their heads up high, for what they do have, they have earned the good old fashion way... through hard work.
    Izannah Posts: 125, Reputation: 18

Apr 27, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Whatever motivates a person... some have committed crimes for need (poverty), for greed (either for the object they are pursuing or as a means to get it... i.e. drugs, power, money), for love, out of boredom, mental imbalances, dares, just about any reason you can think of. The thing is most, if not all, of those can also motivate a person to do good things.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Greed or need can cause people to turn to crime but it comes from any walk of life.
    Look at all the big business, politicians and all embezzling.
    Some people justify their crime by believing they were cheated or victimized and it is owed them. Many don't care who they hurt as long as they get what they want.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Crime is a lack of respect. Some people are not taught to respect what belongs to another. People can miss the important life lesson that they choose to do, affects other people.
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Apr 28, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Take it from someone who has been in poverty for most of his life. Although poverty does cause a big need, it is not always the reason that would cause crime. I believe there are three things that will cause a person to commit crime.

Need, whether it's a need for money or a need to be respected. Of course in poverty you have a need, not necessarily for drugs but it could be a need to live well. From personal experience, I have to admit I had committed crimes so that I could pay my bills and have a roof over my head. I'm not proud of it but for instance, that was a need. Some people will commit murder because for instance, the person that was killed may have disrespected the person who murdered him. The murderer had a need for respect, so he committed a crime to be respected.

Greed, either greed for more than what is needed, greed to have power over other people, or greed to be feared or respected. Politicians, CEO's, or other big shots would commit crimes because they are greedy over money power and respect. They might break laws so that they would be powerful over other people, richer than other people, or to be seen as a respected or feared man.

Or love, whether it is for a person that you love, or the love of rights. People have committed crimes, not to do something bad but rather to change things that they thought were bad. For example, animal rights people may break into facilities and break out the animals for love of the animal's rights although they are breaking the law.

This is just a few examples, but this should be enough for you to get an idea of what I am saying.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Poverty does not cause crime. The individual who commits the crime is the one who thinks they need to do this act for whatever reason at the time.

The main reasons people commit crime are the same as the 7 deadly sins. There are no other reasons other than the 7 when you come down to it.

Apr 30, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Poverty does not cause crime. The individual who commits the crime is the one who thinks they need to do this act for whatever reason at the time.

The main reasons people commit crime are the same as the 7 deadly sins. There are no other reasons other than the 7 when you come down to it.
    What about when someone breaks a crime out of patriotism. Since your talking about sins, what about in China where Christianity is outlawed, I severely doubt the Christians there are breaking the law out of sin.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Hello Champ:

Drugs don't cause crime. Drug PROHIBITION causes crime.

I only make that distinction, because if alcohol caused crime in the 1920's (and people said it did), why doesn't it now?

excon

May 2, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Did I ever say that drugs are the biggest cause? and I never even touched the alcohol subject. I said and I quote

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bigchamp
    Of course in poverty you have a need, not neccesarily for drugs but it could be a need to live well.
    Either way, even if drugs weren't illegal there would still be drug related crime. Even if drugs were legal there would still be the addiction, and with the strong addiction there would be crime. The addicted person would still need money to buy these drugs and after this drugee spent all of his money, where is he going to get that money? The people who supply the drugs could possibly have a big blow to their market or it could help them. On one hand, if big companies were now allowed to sell drugs then drug ring's market would go down. And on the other hand, if drugs were now legal they wouldn't have to hide the selling of it and more people wouldn't be nervous buy it. So you see drug prohibition wouldn't stop all drug related crime, only the crime of smoking and or selling it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Hello Youngster:

I wasn't arguing with you. I was arguing with the Padre and Allheart who said drugs cause crime.

Certainly, people steal to buy all sorts of things, like TV's. You don't call that TV related crime. You just call it crime. If drugs weren't illegal, they'd be cheap, and anybody could afford them. That doesn't mean people won't steal to get them. It just means some people are crooks.

If you make them legal and regulate them and sell them like we sell tobacco or alcohol, then the crime surrounding "drugs" would disappear. Just like there's no "tobacco" related crime.

Nope, legalizing drugs won't stop crime... But, it'll sure knock a HUGE dent in it...

excon

May 2, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Youngster:

I wasn't arguing with you. I was arguing with the Padre and Allheart who said drugs cause crime.

Certainly, people steal to buy all sorts of things, like TV's. You don't call that TV related crime. You just call it crime. If drugs weren't illegal, they'd be cheap, and anybody could afford them. That doesn't mean people won't steal to get them. It just means some people are crooks.

If you make them legal and regulate them and sell them like we sell tobacco or alcohol, then the crime surrounding "drugs" would disappear. Just like there's no "tobacco" related crime.

Nope, legalizing drugs won't stop crime.... But, it'll sure knock a HUGE dent in it....

excon
    You addressed you previous statement to me, so I assumed you were talking to me. I guess your right, but there would still be strong crime sourunding drugs, seeing as weed and other popular drugs are more addictive than tabbacco.
    Dhamar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Dhamar Palmer

poverty is one of the must vicious decease known to man, the phrase says that "a hungry man is an angry man" therefore people will do what ever is necessary to survive in life. Poverty leads to crime because people want things in order to survive. But are not geared to work for it, but need it. What to do if its legally impossible to get, but necessary for life...

crime does pay, and the criminal pay it back with there morals, values and life...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural crime v. Legal crime [ 3 Answers ]

Define natural crime v. legal crime

Natural Crime and Legal Crime [ 5 Answers ]

I need some help here I am doing a paper on Natural Crime and Legal Crime I need 1500 word and I am stuck at 895. Can anyone give me their thoughts on the subject?

Natural crime and legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

It appears I am up and have the same class now. I need a little assitance in getting a paper for the topic of natural crime and legal crime. Can some one help a brother out?

Natural crime and legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

I also would like to know the major crimes used by the FBI in its crime index and which ones are wrong only because it is prohibited by law.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Natural crime and legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

I need to compare and contrast the concepts of natural crime and legal crime. Can anyone help me out?

View more questions Search