Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ctomp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2015, 07:21 AM
    What is the seating arrangement at the wake? Did I get it wrong?
    My husband of 39 years recently passed away. At the wake I asked that my children sit in order of birth with their spouse, then my mother-in-law and sister-in-law (the only living immediate family). When people came to give condolences they would be met by my SIL first, MIL, youngest son, oldest son and spouse, daughter and spouse and then I would be last (closest to the casket). My mother-in-law has not spoken to me since. Did I do this wrong?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2015, 08:52 AM
    If they did not like it, that is their issue. But it may just be the death, and they not able to deal with it.
    Why not call and ask them? Most areas of conflict can be handled by communication.

To be honest and blunt, if anyone gets upset about a seating arrangement at an event like this, they are petty and looking for a problem
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2015, 09:15 AM
    Agreed. The seating arrangement can be whatever you choose it to be or just let people sit where they may. Most people know the first several rows are meant for family anyway. Plus you have more on your mind than whether people are happy with their seat. Anyone not happy is trying to make the event about them and that's pretty petty to say the least.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 27, 2015, 11:06 AM
    It would have been best to have the funeral director arrange the seatings, in person. That's what you hire them for.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 27, 2015, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It would have been best to have the funeral director arrange the seatings, in person. That's what you hire them for.
    Totally agree. Why should bereavement be complicated.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 27, 2015, 07:32 PM
    Your mother-in-law has issues, and just looking for a conflict, don't give her one. I'm 53, been to a lot of funerals... including my own fathers... and I have never heard about anything but immediate family is up front. Never about a pecking order by age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Airline seating [ 1 Answers ]

I have an airline reservation and was able to choose seats for my flights except for one leg of the trip If no economy seats are available can I be forced to pay for an economy plus seat?

Funeral seating [ 1 Answers ]

As the just very recent ex wife of 36 + years and two adult children of my deceased ex's funeral, where should I sit?

Class seating arrangement question. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I've recently started a TEFL course, but some of the questions just seem a little vague to me. For example the following: Look at the following series of seating arrangement options and the activities below. Decide which is the best seating arrangement for the given situation....

Change apt electrical arrangement to residential home arrangement [ 1 Answers ]

Our house currently has multiple addresses because the utilities are divided into 8 or so separate suites almost like an apartment building. We are trying to make the apartment like house into 1 address like a regular residential home. Is it possible to change the 9 electric meters into 1? And...

Is it right to do exeecise when I wake up.. even if I wake up at 12 pm? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it right to do exercise when I wake up.. even if I wake up at 12 pm?

View more questions Search