Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cameron 10 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 11:15 AM
    Cold feet
    Hi ,my fiancé is has cold feet worried about moving with 4 kids .Her mom has also been against it wwich I think is the bigger issue, whatshould I tell her?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 11:24 AM
    Have the issues with her ex been resolved?

If so,you need to talk to her,get to the root of the problem... although your getting married in August,there is a lot of work still to be done in your relationship... neither of you seem to be on the same page,or working from the same plan..

If her mother is having that much of an influence on your fiancé now,its not going to change when you get married...

Communication is the glue and the best tool in a relationship... starting talking and taking action instead of reacting.

Nov 12, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    have the issues with her ex been resolved?

if so,you need to talk to her,get to the root of the problem....although your getting married in august,there is a lot of work still to be done in your relationship....neither of you seem to be on the same page,or working from the same plan..

if her mother is having that much of an influence on your fiance now,its not going to change when you get married.....

communication is the glue and the best tool in a relationship....starting talking and taking action instead of reacting.
    Yes ,she took care of it this morning then this came up. She's 45 a teacher lives on her own I think its time to cut the cord .Her mom doesn't let her live. I have never loved anyone more its hard.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 11:49 AM

If her mother is elderly then perhaps she feels responible for her,there would be a lot of co-dependency there,that will be hard to break... your going to have to find a compromise.

I would advice against making her choose,you may not be the winner!

Again,talk to her,find the middle ground,then both of you talk to the kids,and then her mother... try and not be the bad guy,there is middle ground here I'm sure,just no one has thought of it yet.

Could I ask how long you have been together and how old the kids are?

Nov 12, 2009, 11:51 AM

She's a great person and she can do this.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 11:53 AM

I'm sure she is a great person, work together to come up with a solution... if she is upset about her mother,or worried about the kids she won't be happy and she will feel stressed... they will all pull her in different directions...

Help her... be a team... work out the creases... talk talk talk..

Nov 12, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Kids are 8,13,15,18.20.Weve been dating 2 1/2 years we had the little boyfriend problem in dec he slept over on christmas day .I was with kids I know nothing happened but enough is enough with him.

Nov 12, 2009, 12:00 PM
    The kids are with me 4 1/2 days a week with ex the rest .One in college other is gone most of time.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 12:05 PM

Fair enough that the little boyfriend problem is sorted...

My advice stands that you need to be a team... at the end of the day you want to be a strong couple and have a lasting marriage.. set the stage for that now.

Nov 12, 2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks ,any suggestions
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Suggestions for a good relationship?

Its actually a state secret,but ill tell you.

Honest communication...

Compromise.

Mutual respect.

Support each other.

Listen to each other... really listen.

Understanding and try to see each others point of view.

Realise that you both need space on your own,and pursue separate interests and mutual interests...

And COMMUNICATE... I can't say that enough... if your scared for her,worried about the relationship,tell her... be open and honest.

Nov 12, 2009, 12:16 PM

Her sister has said the boyfriend was her way of pleaseing her mom .She has regreted it every sense

Nov 12, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Thanks again you have been a lot of help.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 12:22 PM
    I would suggest if the ex is out of the picture and the situation resolved you leave it at that... do not keep bringing up past arguments... it will sabatage any future making up that's needs to be done..

Don't throw it back in her face!

She is with you,and going to marry you,she picked you...

Trust is vital.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Other people will view your thread, make suggestions and offer other advice.

In my limited time here I have found the majority of members give sound,objective advice... keep an eye on your thread.

Nov 12, 2009, 12:27 PM

Got it I have done that in pas,t your good.

Nov 12, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Really this has helped
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 12:35 PM

I'm glad I was able you help you get perspective... trust your relationship... let it be a staple in your life... but it takes work,and sometimes you might feel that you have reached a stale mate... but make a conscious decision together,that you each will be a support,without judgement...

Be the one she comes too,and let her support you too..

Nov 14, 2009, 08:14 AM

One more question for redhed35. Relationships should they be all give .True love means you will do anything for someone right? I have done things for her ,like give up time with my kids that you can't get back,bought her the ring of her dreams,moving out of my home and building another where she wants to live.She ask to hold off the wedding for another year,venues have been secured,dresses paid for ,cakes designed.I'm starting to dislike her it will hurt me deeply to let her go ,but will it hurt me more or longer to stay will she ever be ready I is what I'm asking you and myself ?
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2009, 08:26 AM
    No,relationships should not be all give.

Both people need their needs met.

If one person feels their giving more and making more allowance and more compromises,its time to talk... or reconsider the relationship...

I do think that there's a communication error in your relationship,and your not listening to each other... if you don't tell her what you need from her,she won't know...

There needs to be a sense of fairness in the relationship... but I believe from your posts,she is easily influenced by others...

She needs to hear all that you have posted.

You are an adult,and to make an informed opinion and choice you need all the information,as does she... you need to talk!

I do suggest you keep an eye on your thread,as other people will have advice for you too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold feet or something more? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: We've been living together for 6 years and the r'ship has mostly been wonderful. We love each others company and do lots of fun things together. He doesn't really go out much and always says he likes being home with me. I have never controlled his social life and have always...

I think I have cold feet [ 9 Answers ]

Me and my fiancé are in a complex military situation that kind of made us push up the date. I'm so nervous. I decide to let out what I think is all the crazy to a bunch of strangers. And less than a week till the day What if I get deployed? Will he leave me? It's 9 months to a year with little...

Does he have cold feet? [ 10 Answers ]

Last week my I was having a hard time with our wedding plans and finances, this was putting a strain on our relationship, my fiancé was being very supportive all week but I was to worked up to notice. Saturday I went to buy my wedding dress and when I came home my fiancé and all of his clothes were...

Cold feet [ 2 Answers ]

A few months ago I turned my bed around an I put the fan at the base of my bed pointing directly at my feet ever since then I have been having a strange feeling in my feet, hot sensations creepy crawling feeling it also feel weird at my office its airconditioned so most of the time my feet are I'm...

Cold Feet [ 13 Answers ]

My feet are cold. I am wearing socks and shoes but they are just so cold. And I am so bored... Any creative tips on how to warm up my feet?:D

View more questions Search