Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgask Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2018, 06:54 PM
    Floor furnace not turning on
    Hi,

I have my house has a very old gas powered gravity floor heating unit. The thermostat is also pretty ancient a manual ITT no. T80BV100J. Pilot is lit and I can feel a teeny bit of heat coming up, but it won't kick on when I turn the thermostat control on/up. My guess is that maybe the thermostat needs to be replaced, but not sure.

Thanks,

JG
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2018, 08:52 PM
    That should be a 2 wire system with the thermostat just acting as a switch. Remove one of the wires from the thermostat and connect it to the other. If the heater comes on, it is the thermostat. If it doesn't, it is either bad wiring, a break or rodent damage or a gas valve issue. On an old unit like this, I have seen people bypass the gas valve completely and use a hand turn valve, similar to gas logs to cycle the heater. Not recommended but has been done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace turning itself off? [ 1 Answers ]

Our forced air gas furnace has an electrical pilot light and an electronic thermostat. Twice in the past month, I have realized it isn't blowing and have gone down and flipped the little light switch off, waited for the system to go silent, then flipped it back on and had the furnace come back to...

Why is there so much water on bathroom floor despite turning valve off behind toilet? [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that water was dripping out from the handle of the toilet in a bathroom in my house. I turned off the valve below the toilet and noticed that the ball in the tank was not floating properly because it had a hole in it near the base where it connects to the rod. This obviously caused the...

Fan/Furnace not turning on [ 5 Answers ]

Problem started last night. Before bed I went to turn the temp down on the thermostat. I got the clicking sound from the thermostat indicating that it was sending a connection to the fan. No fan turned on. I went above the desired temp and it clicked again. Back down below and again another click....

Furnace not turning on. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. New to this but here goes. I have a Rheem RGMC-125A propane furnace that is 24 years old. Never any problems till this winter. Is has a constant pilot flame. We lit the pilot and it works properly. When we turn on the thermostat, it clicks but nothing turns on. The burners do not...

Gas furnace not turning on [ 1 Answers ]

I've replaced the thermostat but my old one was so dated I couldn't see any significant number settings e.g. anticipator setting. What's that?

View more questions Search