Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bucko123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 02:03 PM
    Human waste coming from outside drain help
    Drain outside back of house blocked when shower runs drain fills and smells and what can only be described as poo!! Come up (is this normal when blocked) and any tips to unblock please help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 6, 2010, 05:17 PM

drain outside back of house blocked when shower runs drain fills
    Are you referring to a outside floor drain or a cleanout?
    Are you on a city sewer or a septic tank? Back to you, Tom
    bucko123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 04:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Are you referring to a outside floor drain or a cleanout?
    Are you on a city sewer or a septic tank? Back to you, Tom
    Its an outside drain not a septic tank my neighbours are fine is it best just to reach in see if it's a block!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2010, 07:48 AM

This "outside drain" is tied into your sewer line and the sewer line's blocked downstream from it.
    Are you on a city sewer or a septic tank? Let me know and We'll get into the repair. Cheers, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 11:20 AM

Just to answer your question: Yes, it is normal.

As Tom explained: All drain are connected together at one point. If this drain gets clogged up - sewer will back up exiting out of lowest open drain. In your case, that happens to be your outside drain...

( Just FYI: In my area, it is not allowed to tie site drains to the sewer pipe. We have to run site drains to the curb. )

Snake the main drain and you will be fine...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie vampire falls in love with a human and eats and drink human food to become human [ 1 Answers ]

Movie about a vampire who falls in love with a human woman and tries to become human by eating and drinking human food

Will this cause waste in my drain? [ 12 Answers ]

My plumber just plumbed out the drain for a new basement sink. The connector, though is a TEE, not a WYE (behind the stud). Will waste from the DWV line spill into the sink drain pipe and smell -- or worse, back-up? (I understand that the P-trap that will go on is supposed to block vapor...

Human waste [ 17 Answers ]

Why is human waste a deadly fertilizer. Yet animal waste is OK??

Landlord/Tenant Situation w/Human waste [ 2 Answers ]

I rent without a lease and am current on my rent & utilities. My landlord cut off power today after I complained numerous times over the past 3 months about her son who lives in a trailer next to me and empties his 30 gallon holding tank of human waste outside my bedroom window. The power was in...

Loud Bangs Coming from PVC waste pipe and Hot Water Copper Line [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had a crack and leak in our PVC waste pipe just behind our family room wall close to the first story floor. The plumber opened up the drywall and cut out the cracked portion (2 feet) which exended from just behind the family room wall down to the basement and replaced it with a new...

View more questions Search