Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msjamielou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 05:47 AM
    1993 Toyota Camry not starting
    My 93 Toyota Camry stopped running when I was driving last week. It appeared we had run out of gas but we put gas in it and would still not start. We have also replaced the spark plugs, a piece inside the distributor I believe and the ignition coil and the car still will not start. It seems like it is getting gas because the plugs smell like gas but I am not sure what else it could be? Any ideas as to what it could be would be a huge help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 07:07 AM

. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Check for codes.

. Check for spark. Perform the standard spark test; i.e. remove a spark plug wire and attach it to a properly gapped spark plug, touch the plug to a convenient ground, and observe the spark, while someone cranks the engine. Look for a good, solid spark. If none, I would replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM). I recommend replacing ICMs and coils every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

. Check for fuel. Can you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run, when the ignition switch is turned to ON? Replace fuel filter, if it hasn't been done in the last 30,000 miles.

. Check for power to the distributor. If none, check the ignition switch.

My gut is that the ICM is bad.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 11:44 AM

Does the engine seem to spin faster than before? You may simply need a new timing belt.
    Remove the distributor cap and crank the engine briefly while you or someone else watchs for the rotor to turn. If it doesn't turn while cranking, have a new belt installed. Now might be the time for other stuff, too, like front engine seals, etc.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 11:49 AM

Good point, CaptainRich, that the timing belt may have snapped.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 04:40 PM

Welcome to the site msjamielou. If you do a search here, you will find other very similar Camry owners with the same issue that we have helped.
    You may find other suggestions that were given and helped get the old Toyota going again.
    My colleges above have given some very good advice and I agree 100% with what they say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 toyota camry won't start [ 9 Answers ]

Just bought the car,and was told the fuel pump was out. Put a new one on, but there's no power getting to it(tested with elec.tester) it also has no spark. It's a 4cyl. Le. And we have bought a repair manual for it, I just thought maybe someone on here might have some insight into similar problems...

1993 toyota camry jumped frozen [ 2 Answers ]

1993 toyota camry tried to jump start it, it started to turn then nothing, no power anywhere. I found out later there was no anti-freeze, car was frozen, what blew?

1993 toyota camry won't start [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a 1993 camry le 4 cyc- I degreased the engine cause it was dirty and ever since then it won't start. I know the spark plugs had gotten wet , so I took a compresser blew all of them out then removed all the plugs and let it all dry out for two days even blew it out before I replaced...

My 1993 toyota camry won't start? [ 3 Answers ]

My camry will not engage the starter? I coulnt find a starter relay, or maybe I just don't know what relay controls it. The car will start if I turn the key on an touch the small lead on the starter with a 12+ jumper. The battery cranks the car over just fine which makes me think it's a relay, but...

1993 V6 Toyota Camry won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought this car not running. It turns over fine, has fuel pressure if I jump B and FP at the diagnostic plug, has spark, has correct timing of cams and distributor, has voltage to the injectors, but I think it isn't getting the signal (pulsed ground) from the computer to tell the injectors...

View more questions Search