Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Manabo Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

May 24, 2006, 07:31 PM
    Do you think society has gotten stupider?
    Is it just me or is society as a whole getting stupider? No offence. But I have to admit from the status quo, the majority of western civilization is becoming irrational,and just plain retatarted. As a young adult I have noticed these thing, all my friends just party, get drunk get high but wats the point? What do you accoplish. Happiness can only give you so much for only a little amount of time... so what do you think? I thought when peopl saw "napoleon dynomite" as amusing an a great movie, it struck me... society has hit rock bottom.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

May 24, 2006, 09:49 PM
    I think people are taking a longer time to grow up.

Maybe one of the reasons you are noticing people are "stupid" is because it seems no one wants to take responsibility. No one wants to make decisions. I think in the Western World this is more true. Come on, you can sue McDonalds for making you fat, parents can lose their children for spanking them. Give me a break. Even marriage isn't safe with all the cheating, std's and kids in daycare for 10 to 12 hours a day. Who is raising these children? Is there any wonder kids are growing up screwed up?

Sorry about that... I'm with you but I don't think it's that they are more "stupid", I think it's more like they are lacking. Lacking respect, morals, eagerness and responsibility among other things.

Good question!:)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Hi, Manabo,
    As a young adult, how old are you? Reading your question, with all the misspelled words, would show me that you, yourself, aren't very concerned with the English language. Does that mean you are one of the ones you are talking about? Many today have not had the family guidance that we had years ago. I am 64. I do not mean anything against you, but others have not learned very much while in school; didn't have their families sharing with them, wanting to know how they are doing, and encouraging their children to do better.
    Learning is a part of growing up. Learning about different things; such as how to write, read, respect for others, treating others as you would have them treat you; all of this usually comes from Mom and Dad, parents.
    The family itself has fallen apart, and in many, many families, both parents have to work full-time, just to make ends meet. There isn't much time left for children, in many, many cases.
    Not everyone is "more stupid"; but I agree there are more than there use to be; and it's because many parents don't pay enough attention to their children anymore, as they are growing up.
    What can you do? You are known by your friends. Start making some new friends, ones you respect, and who respect you. Get away from that crowd. Start changing your life, and start today. You can do it. Best of luck.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 06:03 AM
    I agree - but you also have to look at the attitude difference now to how it was years ago. A lot of young peple want to enjoy their lives for as long as possible the whole "live life to full" - they want to party as much as they can, experience as much as they can and try different things; experiment.

Years ago, as soon as Man was old enough they went out to work to earn and the women satyed at home cooking, washing, cleaning & raising children.

That just isn't society today! We just have to move with the times and accept the things we cannot change. The things we cannot change are the things that are not in our control!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 25, 2006, 06:08 AM
    Just another phase where you are looking back and noticing things from a different viewpoint. Same as the 60's when the parents looked at the hippies with disgust. Oddly enough many of them (the hippies) grew up as well and did good things in the world. Personally I think this new technology (IM, iPOD, etc.) is going to have an negative effect on their social skills which will be interesting to see as they enter the workforce.

I do agree with Fred, you should take some care in your spelling and punctuation if you want to be taken seriously.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Stupider - for example isn't a word!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Maybe not more stupid but, our society is becoming more hedonistic. In that comes a more self centered and greed based lifestyle. Most people just want to fill the void with new tech gadgets and quick, fill good things, to get them through the day. It really shows in the way they treat their fellow human beings. People have become very rude and disrepectful.

Another thing is the population. With billions of people on the planet it's hard to accept the fact that you are just another face in the crowd. To be noticed, you must be much louder and obnoxious than the rest. The shock factor. In a society were kindness is, for the most part, a weakness to be taken advantage of, people will take advantage. It seems that everything that has ever been set up to help people has been pilfered by the greedy thereby creating suspicion of every one's motives.
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Hi,
    Tried giving a good comment to the previous answer, but got the ole pop-up.
    I agree with all the newer tech gadjets. Whatever happened to kids (and some older) having fun with others, playing outside, being kids. Being a kid now means playing games, many times by themselves. This all goes back to the parents, letting them spend hours on a computer, instead of being with others, developing social skills they will need later on.
    I am so glad to see many parents still working with their children, letting them participate in activities, soccer, etc, and being with them, encouraging them.
    High tech, and online chat, is now a disadvantage to larger companies, in letter writing and sending emails. Many larger companies are now having classes for their employees, learning how to spell, and type up an email, which can be read by others! The cell phone messaging is messing up their ability to be understand by company managers, etc!
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 25, 2006, 07:41 AM
    It seems there are more and more people that are lazy, greedy, and blaming.

I always though this was a sign of my getting older - and more mature.
    Now, I'm not so sure.

All the reasons already cited make me think otherwise...
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 25, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Before I answer your question I would like to add what I think is some appropriate "context". Most things cycle in this physical phenomena called earth and the systems that involve people (societies, cultures, any groups of people really) are no exception. There have been quite a few civilizations before us to rise and fall, and there may be some afterwards too hopefully. It seems "change" is a part of life, maybe even woven into the very essence of life.

To answer your question now: I think this cultural changing has taken on a new pace recently but I believe its been in a general decline for some time now -- at least in the United States where I live and can track with some degree of accuracy certain "markers".

We are in a new era dubbed the Information Age. And one can argue that we have made strides in this and that, but as objectively as any human can total it up, it is the bottom line that we are discussing here. And it may just be that its going to take us some time for our collective "manners" to catch up to all the new tecnology -- that is an old and well supported argument.

I have noticed on lesser scales that it takes sinking to a certain point before things like this "register" with us since we humans tend to be a bit subconscious about this sort of information even while fully alive and awake. That we are even talking about it is a good sign, and you raise a good question too! :)

Like every living thing on this planet, we must adapt to survive or risk extinction, even when it means adapting to the declining part. I confess that lately I have found it trickier and trickier to remain who I am and still "fit in" out there!

This question is a lot like the weather dilemma. The weather people often talk about how we only know a partial picture. Some of the shorter weather patterns are now understood since we have been recording weather in detail for a few centuries. But there are much bigger patterns in the mix that we have yet to see enough data over time to discern what they mean with any certainty. Hence the global warming debate.

With us, it just may be that we need to get worse before we get better? Sadly, I doubt very seriously that we are anywhere near hitting a bottom that can produce a culture-wide change. Not unless this pace dramatically increases and who in their right mind with only one human lifespan to live would hope for that? :eek:

PS - There is this handy button called Spell Check to use before posting - not a surefire deal but still, handy! :cool:
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 07:40 PM
    I tried to but could not commet on your post v. sorrow. It is a very good point you make. If we look at Rome, the Huns slipped in and took it over with hardly a fight. What were the leaders doing at that time? They were very rich, fat cats entertaining their every whim-not minding their "BORDERS," if you will. Rome had pretty much everything a modern day society could use. The entire population were busy getting more until there was nothing left. One day it was just gone. I am tired of the road we are on and you are right that people will awaken and realize that things are just too plastic and too far removed from the real deal-life. I hope we are not really the "New Rome" as some say, destined to repeat history because we did not learn from it. I believe completely that there have been many great civilizations before us that have made the same mistake... so here we go!
    Manabo Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

May 25, 2006, 11:16 PM
    I apologize for previously butchering the english language but I meant no disrespect. It was just bothering me how things just turn out the way they do these days... and maybe I should have spell check and made it clear that I'm just a kid. I still need time to grow.lol
    Appreciate the comments. Very insightful.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2006, 01:17 AM
    I don't think "stupid" is the appropriate word actually.
    But as J_9 said.. people are taking longer to grow up these days, probably because we can do so.
    Every day, this world we live in evolves and things change, the old is old and the new is new..
    Which makes me think that people are less stupid probably more wiser :)
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2006, 05:10 AM
    Hi, Manabo,
    You are a big "cut above" most kids! You last post indicates that to me.
    With all the different types of games, sex, and online chat that many kids use, they are getting "tastes" of life much, much faster than we did as kids. I am 64, born in 1942!
    I grew up in a different America, where our parents told us what to do, and we did what they said. Todays' kids are different, and in a lot of ways, much smarter than we were as kids. How they use that "smartness" is up to them and their parents. I only hope more parents will begin intervening in their kids' lives, listen, and find out what's going on with them.
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jun 6, 2007, 08:25 AM
    I also agree that, in America because I have no knowledge of elsewhere, there is a decline in various areas that are important for a civilized civilization. I too am young, being 19, and lack growth in many places of maturaty; but I believe that we haven't "become more stupid", but in turn just lack a lot of moral, honor, motivation, and self-respect. There are MANY people however that have these; it is just that the "others" cover your eyes and take the lime light so to speak. As stated above, this is most likely just a phase that more and more will soon see and hopefully put an end to it.

*EDIT* Haha, I didn't realize it said "May 2006" and thought this was a farely recent topic :).
    nanajo1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Jun 13, 2007, 08:44 PM
    in answer to your question I would say yes, that society as a whole is missing something and in all probability most people are not learning as much as they use too. Stupider? Not sure where that word is in the dictionary but anyway.

Are the young people of today becoming lazy, gadget bound and refusing to let go of their childhood? Yes I would have to say that they are. My daughters boyfriend is 22 years old and carries around a DS, he plays pokemon constantly, he trades pokeman with the kids that he coachs and flunked out of his coaching classes altogether this year. Can you picture that? A coach that teaches kids and yet fails coaching classes, hmmm
    he gets up in the morning and watches cartoons. He carries around pokemon cheat books or study guides instead of something worth while. Trying to have a intelligent conversation with him is like talking to a four year old. Sometimes I think my daughter behaves more lke his mom than a girlfriend. Why are kids like this? Ok, let me narrow this down with the help of my daughters EX boyfriend who is actually a brilliant young man and the help of my duaghter.
    1. Most young people are fad oriented. They care more about ipods and other hand held games than they do educational softare.
    2. Most kids feel that the world owes them something and do not try because they know that they have a wild and fanciful story ready that they feel will somehow rescue them.
    3. they try to push the responsibility for their deeds or work on others who will do it for them.
    4. if classes could be taught on livejournal, myspace, face book then the children of today would all be genius.
    5.They spend far too much time at raves, throwing back their candy signature drugs, (THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CALLED CANDY KIDS), and waking up in parks half dressed or wandering around town.
    6.they care about what may be coming out on the market to help them set up a new forum but care little about how they are perceived and then when they realize how they are perceived they use the standard excuse 'ive had enough and it is time that they world got back what it has given me, ".
    josh26g Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 10:08 PM
    Correcting some on they're vocabulary is one things, not everyone is well educated, but that is not the problem, I think society is lacking morals, it is like the parents of our generation did not think things through hard enough to raise us properly, all in all I feel the same way about our society.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paris Etching Society [ 4 Answers ]

I have a framed etching entitled " The Yonne Canal, France" by F. Roth. The left bottom reads; 2, then SZL in a circle, Canal de l' Yonne 1 France. Signed F. Roth in the right bottom corner and Paris Etching Society NY USA in the top right. Would anyone have any information pertaining to the...

Today's society [ 18 Answers ]

In today's society I have found it very difficult to find a woman that likes herself most of the girls I've dated have had a significant amount of flings to relationship ratios and most of them tend to tell me these things without me asking its almost as if most of them have a guys mind like they...

Classless Society [ 4 Answers ]

Is a classless society possible? Marx suggested it is under communism. It seems that his idealism exceeded the bounds of the attainable.

Paris Etching Society NY-USA [ 23 Answers ]

I have two etchings that have Paris Etching Society NY-USA in the upper right hand corner and a small circle with the letters S Z and L in it at the lower left corner. They are hand signed in pencil but I can't make out the name. One appears to be Le Beauvois with another signature to the Right...

View more questions Search