Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deborah70222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2017, 05:04 AM
    Custody of grandchild
    Live n Ohio. Tried to get custody of grandchild, mother my daughter died. Let son have custody but regret it dearly because of treatment of child. Went to court by myself and tried to do it alone. Judge kept asking me if I wanted to give testimony did not understand just wanted to tell him what was going on. I blew it. Son retains custody because I am stupid. Can I refile because now I know what to do. There is no legal aid in my county and I cannot afford an attorney. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Deborah
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 31, 2017, 06:10 AM
    So, what is the father doing wrong? You can't just go into court and demand custody. There has to be abuse or neglect proven to be taken away from a parent.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 31, 2017, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deborah70222 View Post
    Live n Ohio. Tried to get custody of grandchild, mother my daughter died. Let son have custody but regret it dearly because of treatment of child. Went to court by myself and tried to do it alone. Judge kept asking me if I wanted to give testimony did not understand just wanted to tell him what was going on. I blew it. Son retains custody because I am stupid. Can I refile because now I know what to do. There is no legal aid in my county and I cannot afford an attorney. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Deborah
    Where is the father of the child?

For clarification: Your daughter was the mother of the child. She died. Custody of the child was granted to your son.

What is your son, the uncle(?), doing wrong? How is he treating the child? Is he mistreating the child or not treating the child the way you think he should? Have you talked to your son?

Is child services involved?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 31, 2017, 08:54 AM
    Lots of questions but you need a lawyer. Maybe he takes collateral, or has a payment plan, but this sounds very complicated, and it's no wonder you cannot do this by yourself.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2017, 01:20 PM
    Didn't you learn by your original screwup that you NEED an attorney? Do you live near a law school? Many have free clinics that will, at least, help you prepare for court.

You also need to clarify things here. The mother of the child was your daughter. Who is the father and who currently has custody. You refer to your son having custody, but that would be unusual unless there is a problem with the father. What about the paternal grandparents?

As noted, why do you want custody taken from the current custodian?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 31, 2017, 04:06 PM
    I think Cat got it right - there is no known father in the picture, so deborah's son has custody.

Your question is 'can you refile' but you have no convincing argument that you actually do now know what to do. We don't know how much time has elapsed, nor what evidence you have.

Sometimes a court CLERK is your best friend. If you can keep your sentences together, and can make sense, and can keep it short, ask the clerk about refiling. DO NOT spend more than 2 minutes asking. Practice your question. There is no need to waste your time and ours saying you were stupid. You are using a computer, aren't you? PRACTICE sentences that make sense to people other than yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I take custody of my grandchild? [ 3 Answers ]

My son went to prison for two years for getting addicted to pain pills. His girlfriend at the time took care of her. She even went as far as getting temporary custody of her behind the families back. We thought our grandchild was in a good environment but my son was recently released and the old...

Custody of grandchild [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My 21 year old daughter has a 3 year son and has been talking about giving me custody of him voluntarily. How would we go about doing this.

How can I get custody of my grandchild? [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter died and I am trying to get custody of my grandson (7years old) I helped raise him with her because his biological dad abandoned them when he was born. He now wants custody over my grandson who has never seen him... Do I have a chance to win this if we go to court?

How to get custody of my grandchild [ 16 Answers ]

What is required to obtain custody of my grandchild? I have kept my grandchild 3 days a week in my home since their birth (he is 2 years old now). In addition to this I keep him anytime that his mother deems she has something else to do, is too drunk, or just plain stressed out. I have provided for...

How to get custody of a grandchild [ 1 Answers ]

My mom and dad has been raising her 6 year old grandson since he was 2 he just turned 6 in June, my dad passed away June 12th and now its just my mm raising him. She wants to get custody of her grandson. His mother ( my sister) moved away to Arizona ( they were in Georgia at the time she left) with...

View more questions Search