Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwc31 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 10:00 AM
    "Thumping Shoe" sound from empty dryer
    Hello,
    Please let me know if this has already been answered but a search didn't yield anything for me.

I just replaced the rear drum bearing because of a high pitch squeal on my Frigidaire front loading dryer. Now the squeal is gone but another problem has come up.

Now the dryer sounds like its running a pair of shoes through it, yet it is empty. Sounds like a "ta-thump-thump" and it just repeats as the dryer spins. What do I do next? Please help.

-George
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Feb 16, 2008, 10:05 AM
    My dryer does a similar thing. Mine was cause was my fat behind climbing on it to reach a towel. I dented in the top and as the drum spins something catches every time it goes around. Resulting in a rhythmic thump.

Feb 16, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Thanks for the thought. I thought I may have done that, so while a load was going, I opened the lid and just pushed on the drum. Problem solved. Now just a miner scratching sound is there. I can live with that.

Also while I had it open I cleaned it out pretty good. There was a ton of lint that was matted down by Mice and their dog food storage. Now it heats up like new. Before I had to go through a couple loads to get my clothes dry.

Mar 9, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Ok,
    The noise is back now. Only now its louder and sounds harder. Does anyone have any suggestions. As per sitting on it, it didn't make the noise until I replaced the bearing. Thanks!
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 08:18 PM
    When you replaced the rear bearing -- did you check the front part over the door--

There should be a 1 inch ridge(that the front of the drum rides on) with a felt piece

And a plactic piece of wear strip -- is the plastic gone and it is riding on the felt...

Out of balance usually causes the Thump ----- Thump ----- Thump
    southiefolk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 05:50 PM
    We had the same problem. Open the door and look to the back of the drum. The screws on our dryer were loose and when we tightened them the thumping stopped immediately! Wish we had though of it before replaced the belt:)
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 10:59 PM

gwc31 - Here are ( 4 ) reasons for your problemthat could BE the CAUSE:: #1- Worn drum belt:: #2 Faulty drum suport slides #3-
    Noisy ideler pully:: #4NOISY support rollers::
    There is about 9 things that I can think of ,BUT these are the most probable causes:: Look at numbers -2 & 4, more so because you have done some work right there already
    Hope this does the trick ;;Have a great day & I hope you will be drying some clothes;GOD BLESS:: F.B.E.
    zlo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Thank You for the help. I have a Frigidaire under-counter dryer that started making a thump-thump noise right after being installed. I checked the screws inside the back of the drum. One was lose, after tightening it the thump noise stopped. This is my second dryer of this type my first was labeled Sears and was much more quiet but the bearings failed after 9-10 years of use. I like the controls on the front so I bought another labeled Frigidaire.
    paulkramer Posts: 181, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2009, 05:57 PM
    I've replaced both rollers (the lower one was toast, black dust from disentegration of the roller all over that side of the cabinet), the belt, the idler, the front plastic rings and the front felt bearing - and I still have a thumping sound in my LEN1000PQ1 Whirlpool dryer.

I ran the dryer with the lid open and I don't see any crazy up/down, side-to-side movement of the drum.

What could be causing this? All these new parts helped somewhat to reduce the noise, but it's still present and prominent.

Could the rear seal be causing it? The rollers support the drum; I don't see how the rear seal could be causing it.

Bent motor shaft? Out of round drum? The lower roller seemed to be the most worn part (the bearings/glides, belt and idler were not worn very much) so I'm thinking something is up with that roller.
    paulkramer Posts: 181, Reputation: 2

Dec 12, 2009, 08:16 PM
    I've answered my own question - I inspected the dryer drum a little more closely and noticed that there is a "divot" in the surface of the drum where the roller makes contact - right at the weld of the drum.

It's much quieter now - with a load of laundry - since I replaced the rollers, front bearing and glides. I also ordered a new rear seal which I suspect will support the drum a little more than the existing seal and thus prevent it from banging on the rollers as much as it does with the worn rear seal.
    max3957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 10:30 PM
    I'll tell you what makes all the difference in the world for stopping thumping noises! When you put the drum back in and fasten it with the three screws to the bearing plate in the back, make sure the screws are tight. The replacement bearing kit I got had some screws that wouldn't go all the way through the plate so it left the drum loose to bang around. I solved the problem by getting some hex head sheet metal screws and really cranking them in there with a ratchet. The pointed tips of the screws helped a lot in going through the plate as opposed to the blunt ends of the screws that came with the bearing kit. It about drove me nuts until I figured this out.
    lowrock Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
    My right side drum support roller has much more play ( slides on the shaft ) than the left side roller.. the white plastic clips are in the correct grooves but is this normal for the right side roller have more movement on the shaft than the left side?
    lowrock Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
    My whirlpool dryer model # WED555OSQO, the drum support roller on the right side has more room to slide on the shaft than the one on the left side.. the white triangular clips are in the correct position.. is this normal.. because I am hearing a thump sound from the bottom left side in the area of the roller.. all rollers, belt ,everything look OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Volvo S80 - Door Lock is making a "spitting" sound when locking/unlocking [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2000 S80 T6 that has suddenly started making sort of a spitting sound in the back driver side door lock when the locks are prompted to lock/unlock. It doesn't usually keep the lock from functioning, but there have been a few instances where the lock doesn't lock. Any thoughts on what...

A/C Fan Emitting Loud "Whrrrr" Sound and spins slowly [ 15 Answers ]

Hello, My A/C Fan was emitting a loud "Whrrrr". Which gets loud, then soft, the loud again. Almost like the sound is oscillating. And Once in a while it starts "coughing", then It's back to the "Whrrr"s again. Well, today the blades stopped spinning (actually it is spinning, so...

HELP... Sound Design in "le fabuleux destin d'amelie pulain" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a new member in this forum. As I am studying multimedia, & I have to choose a movie not necesseraly new, & to study the sound design in it, I would like to give me your opinion about the sound in "LE FABULEUX DESTIN D'AMELIE POULAIN" for Jean-Pierre Jeunet. I'll be pleased if someone will...

View more questions Search