Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Fixing Compund Miter Saw out of square
    Hello. I was given an older, 10" Craftsman Compound Miter Saw. It's used, but doesn't look like it's gotten much use. The saw is out of square and doesn't make straight cuts. I put a square along the fence and it doesn't run straight along the blade.

I tried to adjust the fence but it isn't able to make these slight adjustments. There are just two holes to screw the mounting bolts into, not allowing for movement back and forth to straighten the fence.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to square up the saw, or is the fence the only option?

Thank you.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Can you show picture. You are on the right track but I am not intimately familiar with Craftsman. Sometimes entire table is adjusted
    retiredmanvan Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Feb 9, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Every Miter saw has adjustments to move the blade it's self to square up the blade. Adjusting the fence will not help. The adjustments are made behind the motor where the saw tilts. You will find adjustment screws or bolts to make the saw and motor move together to true up the blade. To check how much adjustment is needed you take a small square that will sit on the saw's table surface and butt against the saw blade. You will be square when your saw blade is flat against your square and flat on your table. The best thing to do is to contact Sears and request an owner's manuel for your model number of your saw.

I wish you all the best,

Van
    jeffreyconn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuchholtz
    Hello. I was given an older, 10" Craftsman Compound Miter Saw. It's used, but doesn't look like it's gotten much use. The saw is out of square and doesn't make straight cuts. I put a square along the fence and it doesn't run straight along the blade.

I tried to adjust the fence but it isn't able to make these slight adjustments. There are just two holes to screw the mounting bolts into, not allowing for movement back and forth to straighten the fence.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to square up the saw, or is the fence the only option?

Thank you.
    Get model number, go to craftsman web site and get the manual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharpening a miter saw blade [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to sharpen a 10" miter saw blade? Is it easy to do? Or is it easy to mess up :) Kind of on a tight budget so would like to avoid buying a new one if I can. Thanks!

Miter chair railing [ 2 Answers ]

How do you miter chair railing

Cut off saw----Miter saw [ 2 Answers ]

Can you put a metal wheel on a miter saw to cut metal without destroying your compound miter saw. I understand that the sparks will cause problems to the plastic guards. But is there any other problems associated with doing this. I have a 12 in Craftsman. I want to cut metal. But I hate to buy a...

Compund interest [ 3 Answers ]

Question 1: If 10,000 is deposited in a money market when interest is coumpounded every month at an annual rate of 5%, the total amount accumulated at the end of a 5 years will be? A) 12,762.82 B) 10,210.08 C) 12,833.59 D) None of these Question 2: What would cost to buy a U.S Treasury...

View more questions Search