Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desimv1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2005, 06:04 PM
    Older Maytag dryer won't start
    We have an older Maytag dryer that will start one out of three times. Sometimes, it will chug like a car that won't turn over. We really don't want to have to buy a new dryer, so if there is a cheaper alternative please help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2005, 06:52 PM
    If the heat comes on, but the drum doesn't turn, the motor could be going bad. A motor might be $100, but still cheaper than a new dryer.

If nothing happens, or more of a chatter, it could be a relay. The switch does not turn the motor and heat on directly, but energizes a relay. It will be a box in the controls with 3-4 wires going to it. The coil and line terminals will be hot, but not the load if it is bad. Relays are fairly cheap, maybe $10-$20.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Dryer does not dry in Auto Dry mode [ 23 Answers ]

My Maytag dryer works well in the Timed Dry mode but in the Auto Dry mode it runs forever and does not dry well. In the Timed Dry mode it produces plenty of heat and works fine. What is happening in the Auto Dry mode that does not make the heat properly get to a level that allows the clothes to...

Maytag dryer [ 8 Answers ]

My maytag dryer won't start

Maytag neptune dryer does not heat in normal mode [ 2 Answers ]

Maytag Neptune dryer does not heat in normal mode but does in the system check mode for dry temp. would this indicate the thermostat is bad?

Maytag dryer runs too hot [ 5 Answers ]

Maytag dryer runs too hot. Does not seem to go to cool down cycle even on Perm Press setting. Where can I find an electrical schematic?

Maytag gas dryer [ 2 Answers ]

My maytag dryer, model ldg482 runs but the heat does not come on. The igniter comes on but the gas doesn't ignite. Any suggestions?? The owners manual is totally useless and I'm reluctant to call in a service man to look at it since I have a complete tool shop and all tools to do anything.

View more questions Search