Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VolleyRuth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Fixing plumb on an exterior door, front to back
    When hanging an exterior door, how can get the door to close evenly top & bottom. The door is plumb inside the casing, but the top of the door is not meeting the weather stripping, while the bottom is. Thanks,

Not too plumb.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 09:01 PM
    I take it that you have a gap between the vertical edge of the door and the door stop.

One or both of the legs (sides) of the frame is not plumb.

Put your level on the edge of hinge side jam. Make sure that it is plumb that way.
    Put you level on flat of jam and make sure that jam is plumb that way, shim if necessary.
    Temporarily secure it top and bottom.

Plumb latch side, temporarily secure.
    Close door, adjust latch side frame to fit door if necessary. Shouldn't take much adjustment.

Shim frame to achieve consistent gap between door and frame, top to bottom

If you mean that there is a gap along the top, the door frame is not in the opening level. Raise hinge side or lower latch side. Should be 1/8" gap between the top of door and head jam.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Door Knob in center of front door [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a resource for replacement parts for my specialty front door. The knob is located in the center of the door with a bird theme metal plate surrounding the knob - door is 35 7/8 wide - I would like to replace the knob - the hardware still works fine, I just need a compatible knob....

32 exterior door [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All, I scored an awesome deal the other day. I bought an 32 in exterior door, got it home and realized it is a 6 1/2 jamb for a 2x6 opening. I have 2x4 framing. So I need to make this fit. Where can I get another 2 inches at ? Should I rip cut a couple of 2x4's and add to the...

Door jam out-of-plumb [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into a newly built house less than a year ago and the door between the Master Bedroom and Master Bathroom will not close. When we moved in last year, the door would close; but the gap narrowed at the top of the jam from the hinge side of the jam to the knob side of the jam. Now the top of...

Fixing Concrete Steps - Front Porch [ 3 Answers ]

It appears that the front step on my house has settled and dropped about 6 - 8 inches from where it was originally attached to the front of the house. The house is about 20 years old with a slanted front yard and this took place long before we moved in. Originally my plan was to just add another...

View more questions Search