Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Rear wheel sticks out further than other after accident
    Grand Am that slipped sideways on the ice the other day and hit a hard ice ball underneith the rear passenger tire. It bent the support arm pretty bad. (the front one of two bars that go from the middle of the car on the frame down to the bottom of the wheel hub. The entire wheel was extremely crooked after doing this. I got a straight support from a salvage yard and replaced it. Now the wheel is pretty much straight but now the entire wheel sticks out an inch or more than the drivers side. It is out past the wheel well. What would be the cause of this new issue? What would make the entire wheel stick out too far?

Other support or control bars? The wheel bearing? Something else?

Thanks,
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 23, 2010, 08:14 AM

Did you replace the wheel or just the suspension parts?
    Unless the wheel was reinstalled incorrectly, you may have more suspension parts bent.
    Can you take pics and put them on here?

Nov 23, 2010, 09:55 AM
    Pics of area
    I did not replace the wheel. That was not hit. Here are some pics of the area in question. The blue line indicates the bar that I did replace. I know the bar that runs parallel to it is slightly twisted but that would not cause the entire wheel to be pushed out. Another concern I have now is that the main shock appears to be leaking or something. It is all wet and I have a small puddle on the floor.
    Attached Images

Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 23, 2010, 01:28 PM

Great pics!
    It does appear that the strut is damaged resulting in leakage.
    Unless you have the coil spring compressor, you'll need to take that to a shop that does. When they inspect your suspension, they'll probably find the knuckle is bent also.
    Many times, I've seen those knuckles bent from seemingly minor force. The worst part is you cannot often see the damage until you have the old and new, side by side.
    They can check the entire suspension system, particularly that corner, and advise if you need more. If financially it becomes too much, consider contacting your insurance company, unless you carry a high deductible.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2010, 02:46 PM

Agreed, very good pic descriptions, and also agree most likely at fault is the strut and knuckle bent.
    Should be showing positive camber by the looks of it.

Nov 23, 2010, 05:07 PM
    Can it be driven in this condition? Is there a danger in doing so or will it just make the damaged parts worse? Can a strut and knuckle be installed without a professional?
    Thanks again.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 24, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeyer01 View Post
    Can it be driven in this condition?
    Yes, it can, but...
    Is there a danger in doing so or will it just make the damaged parts worse?
    The strut's toast, and so is that spindle, likely, along with aggrevated tire wear.
    Can a strut and knuckle be installed without a professional?
    Thanks again.
    Yes, if equipped with the proper tools and appropriate skills:
    Do you have access to a coil spring compressor?
    And air powered tools (makes this far easier)?
    Have you or do you know anyone who has done strut replacement?
    Plus, the vehicle's alignment will need checked and reset once all the parts are straight.

Nov 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
    I have already removed the strut (much easier than anticipated) and it is certainly bent. I am getting one from a salvage yard today and will try to replace. I am guessing I will have to rent a spring compressor though unless they give me one with spring on it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2010, 11:18 AM

Monroe sells Quick Struts, with the coil spring already installed. They come with a lifetime warranty. Monroe frequently has promotions going on.

Nov 26, 2010, 08:43 PM
    I replaced the strut assembly and that seemed to be the issue regarding the placement of the wheel. It all looks straight. I know I will have to have it checked for alignment but it is driveable. Anyway, now I have a pretty noticeable squeaking sound that I can hear coming from that area when driving. Any idea what that would be? Is that just from a strut assembly that's been sitting too long or something else? Any advice on that one? Thanks again for the help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2010, 10:11 PM

It's best to replace rubber bushings, when doing suspension work. Also, be sure to tighten all fasteners with a torque wrench. With air tools, you tend to undertighten or overtighten fasteners.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 27, 2010, 05:57 AM

I hate chasing squeaks. It usually means something is too loose or didn't get installed correctly.
    Tracking down what piece is the culprit isn't fun or easy. I'd probably spray lithium or silicon lube into each pivot point I've just worked with so see if maybe something was binding there.
    You still have the parallel bar to do, right? That could also be binding and causing some noise.
    Go back over each fastener and make sure they all are still tight after "seating" themselves a little from being driven.
    Let us know what you find!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD rear wheel removal [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 18 horse MTD Lawn tractor about 15 years old. I need to remove the rear wheel to change the tire. I have removed the cotter pin from the axel and the washer, but I can't get it to come off. It appears that they're may be a key pin of some sort on the axel. I don't have the model number I...

MTD rear wheel removal [ 2 Answers ]

I have a MTD yardman 18.5/46 shift on the go lawn tractor Engine info 42 A 707 1550 01 95103.15B It has a 1" axle and the wheel appears to be held on with a washer and cotter key. There is a key way that keeps it from spinning on the axle. I cannot get the wheel off. Is there a special...

Rear wheel won't come off/pin is stuck [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray riding mower and am trying to take the rear wheel off to put it on another one that i am switching everything to and the pin has been pushed down too far. Have tried grease, wd40 and crow bar and hammer. But nothing will loosen it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can try?

How to Remove Rear Wheel [ 1 Answers ]

How to remove rear wheel from Murray riding mower that has a square key in the key slot.

View more questions Search