Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2014, 03:06 AM
    Abscess Tooth
    Abscess tooth. Friend had the devil to pay, with an abscess tooth.
    for 3 days. It's better now. He used a lot of ibuprofen and mouth rinses.
    Even with over the counter medication and
    mouth rinses it was a painful experience. I wonder what is a good antibiotic and pain reliever people use for tooth aches
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 4, 2014, 03:47 AM
    The only pain reliever that works for me for serious tooth pain is a prescription one, a narcotic like Vicodin. Others prefer codeine or percocet.

OTC you basically have 4 types: acetaminophen (Tylenol), aspirin, ibuprofin, and NSAIDs like Aleve. I take Tylenol and ibuprofin at the same time because they work in different ways. Tylenol is mainly for pain and ibuprofin mainly for inflammation, but people often just go by personal preference. Antibiotics in the US are only available with a prescription.

Your friend was lucky that he got rid of an abscess with rinses. It could have easily gotten worse. He should find a walk-in clinic to have available for the future. Most hospitals are affiliated with one so that people don't use the ER so much.
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2014, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    The only pain reliever that works for me for serious tooth pain is a prescription one, a narcotic like Vicodin. Others prefer codeine or percocet.

OTC you basically have 4 types: acetaminophen (Tylenol), aspirin, ibuprofin, and NSAIDs like Aleve. I take Tylenol and ibuprofin at the same time because they work in different ways. Tylenol is mainly for pain and ibuprofin mainly for inflammation, but people often just go by personal preference. Antibiotics in the US are only available with a prescription.

Your friend was lucky that he got rid of an abscess with rinses. It could have easily gotten worse. He should find a walk-in clinic to have available for the future. Most hospitals are affiliated with one so that people don't use the ER so much.
    thank you so much
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 4, 2014, 07:07 AM
    I wonder what is a good antibiotic
    That would depend on what bacteria is causing the infection and whether the patient is allergic to certain antibiotics. Only a doctor/dentist, in the US, can prescribe antibiotics. We cannot advise what antibiotic is appropriate.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 4, 2014, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    Abscess tooth. Friend had the devil to pay, with an abscess tooth.
    for 3 days. It's better now. He used a lot of ibuprofen and mouth rinses.
    Even with over the counter medication and
    mouth rinses it was a painful experience. I wonder what is a good antibiotic and pain reliever people use for tooth aches
    Sometimes tooth aches have a deeper 'root' cause which means the nerve has died, the infection has started below the gums and just really wants to get out but can't find a way. So, ergo, the pain and pressure starts. This pressure left unchecked can cause a blood infection, which may go the heart and then...

Sure you can dull the pain, but you are not treating the cause. I suggest your friend get to a dentist quickly to have his tooth treated, removed, root canalled, whatever, before something serious happens in his mouth.

Dulling the pain on a long term basis is a bad idea because you are not curing anything. Smart people get to a dentist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth abscess [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: I have a tooth abscess that I accidentally discovered was draining pus. I do not have any pain, but seems to be old draining abscess. What should I do??

Tooth abscess. [ 19 Answers ]

I recently had a crown come out and had to go to the dentist to have it put back on. The dentist took an x-ray and told me I had some infection in that tooth and I'd need a root canal. I was started on antibiotics yesterday and a few hours after seeing the dentist my tooth started hurting. It's...

Another wisdom tooth, dental abscess [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am back again with another wisdom tooth pain this time the right side. I have a swelling around the wisdom tooth, doctor gave me antibiotic and said that it has to be removed. And I don't want to get rid of my another wisdom tooth, pretty soon I will run out all the wisdom in me :'(. So is...

Abscess on Baby Tooth [ 7 Answers ]

My baby who is 2 years old in June has an abscess on his front tooth and I am worried about how the dentist can do anything with this tooth as he doesn't like anyone looking in his mouth. He just keeps prescribing antibiotics and he has had 3 lots at present. I think the abscess is due to...

Tooth Abscess [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Ease Pain Of A Tooth Abscess,taking Painkillers And Antibiotics, But Still Hurts Like Hell.

View more questions Search