Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GGertie Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Jul 5, 2011, 08:07 AM
    Insane Asylum
    I read this book in the 1950's or early 60's. It is about a woman who is a patient in an insane asylum but who is perfectly sane. Details her efforts to keep her sanity and convince others that she is normal. Seems as though the word "Wood" is somehow connected to the title but it was so long ago I can't be sure.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2011, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GGertie View Post
    I read this book in the 1950's or early 60's. It is about a woman who is a patient in an insane asylum but who is perfectly sane. Details her efforts to keep her sanity and convince others that she is normal. Seems as though the word "Wood" is somehow connected to the title but it was so long ago I can't be sure.
    I'm not familiar with the book but there was a Wood County Asylum located in Marshfield Wisconsin.

It was far too common, even in the mid 20th century, for women to be institutionalized at the behest of their husband.

If you can recall additional information about the details of the institution, treatment, etc. I might be able to piece it together if it was an actual, as opposed to fictitious, institution.

ADDED: I accidentally ran across a title "Writing on the Wall, Women's Autobiography and the Asylum" and the author is Mary E. Wood. Looked it up and here is a link: http://www.abebooks.com/Writing-Wall.../1155191372/bd

In addition here is a link to several books dealing with women and the asylum, hopefully one will ring a bell:
    http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/0385474237
    GGertie Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Jul 6, 2011, 02:27 PM
    Thank you! I will look into those.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 02:43 PM

In addition to DrBill's excellent response, call or visit the reader's advisory librarian at your public library. There are print and database resources for tracking down fiction characters, title keywords, and plots.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Naturalization and Asylum [ 10 Answers ]

I have two question and would appreciate any advice. My asylum case is still pending; however, my wife (whom I married after I filed for asylum) will be eligible to apply for naturalization in a month. Here are the questions: 1) Once she becomes naturalized AND my case is still pending, will...

Asylum fraud [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I go to report an asylum fraud in Miami,Florida? Is there a website or location that I could get in contact with?

Applying for asylum [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé is in removal proceedings and he is being detained in a detention facility. He has a Misdamenor domestic charge, can he still apply for asylum?:confused:

Asylum [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I recently helped a relative who was been persecuted back in our home country to apply for assylum and it was successful.I am a social activist that try to do my best to help people suffering injustices back home in africa.I am a student here in the United States but I have gotten into...

View more questions Search