Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahen00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 10:54 AM
    NY non resident
    Hi my family and I used to live in NY in 2005 but the house was sold in 2006. Do we need to file Non redident ny taxes just for te house sold? All other income wasn't from NY.
    Thanks
    Gilbert 12 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Well I haven't come acroos having to pay for non resident taxes just cause you were not from that place. I have heard about having problems to buy house because of non reside profile. I don't think you shall have to do such a thing of course as the house belonged to you right.
    Witchey-poo Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ahen00
    Hi my family and i used to live in NY in 2005 but the house was sold in 2006. do we need to file Non redident ny taxes just for te house sold? all other income wasnt from NY.
    thanks
    No.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
    I beg to differ.

If you bought the house while a resident of NY, then moved out of state before selling it, (and assuming that NY does in fact assess a capital gains tax on the sale of a personal residence), then you will have to file a NY state tax return on the sale of the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fill in tax form as resident alien or non resident ? [ 7 Answers ]

I am from China and I held B1 to enter US in Jan.2001 and changed the status B1 to F1 on 12/26/2001. I returned to China and returned to USA in 2005 with a new F1 visa . I had no income in 2001 and 2002 and I failed to fill in the tax return in 2001 and 2002 since I didn't know I needed to do so ...

Non resident or part time resident of Mass. [ 3 Answers ]

I am in Massachusetts from 23 August till 31 December 2006, as a F1 student , so am I a non resident or a part time resident or both. Please answer me if you have any idea. Thanks

FICA taxes for Non-resident spouse treated as resident [ 7 Answers ]

I'm a resident alien for tax purposes. My wife was on F-1 till June 2006, then OPT till Nov 2006, and H-1 afterwards. We elected to treat her as a resident for tax purposes when filing returns for 2004 and 2005. My question is : Her employer did not withhold FICA taxes until she received her...

Resident or Non-resident Alien for tax year 2006? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 20th January 2006 and am on the payroll of my company since July 2006 , for the purpose of filling Tax returns for the year 2006 , am I a resident Alien or a non-resident alien?

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search