Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon. ~Doug Larson

Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway. ~Author Unknown

In order to change we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired. ~Author Unknown

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Diseases of the soul are more dangerous and more numerous than those of the body. ~Cicero

See a theme? I'm still sick. ;)
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 05:53 PM
    "The human race has only one really effective weapon, and that's laughter. The moment it arises, all our hardnesses yield, all our irritations and resentments slip away, and asunny spirit takes their place."
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 05:55 PM
    M, are you trying to tell me to cheer up?

Make me laugh, laughter is the best medicine, and my meds aren't working! ;)
    SweetSourNSpicy Posts: 6, Reputation: 5

Aug 7, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Well, I'm new to AMHD, but I've loved browsing through all of these great quotes. These are some of my favorites. Sorry if I'm repeating anything!

"Even a drop of love can create an ocean of tears."

"Sometimes we can't see clearly until our eyes have been washed with tears."

"We must have the courage to throw out old laundry that has had it's day."

"Our family puts the 'fun' in dysfunctional."

"It's called a break up because something is broken."

"There comes a time when the effort it takes to remain tight in the bud is more painful than the effort it takes to blossom." Anais Nin

"Do not expect of others, what you yourself are not willing to do."

"Passion is the source of our finest moments; the joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we'd know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow...Without passion, we'd be truly dead." Angel on Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Sometimes strength is shown not by how long you can hold on, but by how quickly you can let go."

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."

Thanks again for all of the great ones I've found here already!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 06:23 PM
    SSNS, Good to see you sharing on the thread! I enjoyed the quotes you shared! This is a great thread and glad you are a part of it now!
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 06:25 PM
    "Do not expect of others, what you yourself are not willing to do."
    Sweetsour, loved this one, very humbling. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 07:44 PM
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."

Aug 8, 2008, 12:21 AM
    Thank you all for welcoming me! It is a great thread indeed and I have found several new personal favorites on here. I also thought of a few more that have made an impact on me.

"A wound can not fully heal that still has the arrow in it."

"That some good can be derived from every event is a better proposition than that everything happens for the best - which it assuredly does not." James K. Feibleman

"Love is a feeling of passionate affection for another person."

"Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and blows up the bonfire." Francois de la Rouchefoucauld

"Love could be likened to a sword. Absence sharpens it, while presence strengthens it. Both are needed."

"Parents can tell, but never teach, unless they practice what they preach."

And since a while back, HC said that song lyrics could be included, this is one of my favorite songs that has helped me to gain a greater appreciation for a certain friend that I have been blessed with in my life.

Be That Friend by Michael McLean

Well, your friends know what's right, and your friends know what's wrong,
    And your friends all know sometimes it's hard to choose.
    But the friend who helps you see where the choices will lead,
    Is the kind of friend you never want to lose.

It's the friend who leads with love, doesn't push, doesn't shove,
    Just reminds you of the truth you've always known.
    Then does more than just talk, takes your hand and starts to walk
    By your side along the road that leads back home.

And this friend seems to see all the great things you'll be
    Even when some things you do would prove him wrong.
    But he always believes that the real you he sees
    Is a champion he's simply cheering on.

And the love that you feel from a friend that's this real
    Is as powerful as anything on earth.
    For it lifts and it grows and it strengthens and it flows
    It's what allows a soul to feel just what they're worth.

So many lonely souls are calling, and our brightest stars would not be falling
    If only they had a friend, a real friend.

Ev'ryone hopes to find one true friend who's the kind
    They can count on for forever and a day.
    Be that friend, be that kind that you've prayed you might find,
    And you'll always have a best friend come what may.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 05:10 AM
    God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. ~Elbert Hubbard

A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them. ~Leonard Louis Levinson

:) Morning all! I've been so busy with my new job, I haven't had time to post much of anything on AMHD. Thanks for keeping this thread going! :)
    lilfreya Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 05:12 PM
    in regards to the wars in the middle east

"War doesn't give birth to anything. It is just foolish destruction." ~ Excel- Excel Saga
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Well, if we're going on the war thing...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
    --attributed to Plato, however unproven.
    Pets Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Beer is the nectar of the Gods, yup, it surely is. Author, me. :)
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 11:02 PM
    "I'm just a baboon waiting for the next flea-infested gal to walk by so I can impress her with my flea-picking/eating skills"

-- sneezy
    Pets Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Oooh, oooh, ahhh, ahhh! :)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 07:47 AM
    What actually makes poetry poetry is of course impossible to define. We recognize it when we hear it, when we see it, but we can't define it.
    Robert Morgan

I don't think poetry is something that can be taught. We can encourage young writers, but what you can't teach them is the very essence of poetry.
    Robert Morgan
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    What actually makes poetry poetry is of course impossible to define. We recognize it when we hear it, when we see it, but we can't define it.
    Robert Morgan

I don't think poetry is something that can be taught. We can encourage young writers, but what you can't teach them is the very essence of poetry.
    Robert Morgan
    Hey there BG, I enjoyed these quotes.

One of my friends has been taking a writing class. They talk about poetry and have stated pretty much the same as these quotes. I just found that interesting that this seems to be 'across the' board true regarding poetry, having heard from other sources also, just this past year. Thanks for sharing these quotes. Just struck a sweet chord with me since I love poetry. I have a question and maybe you would want to answer via PM rather than on this thread... since this is mainly just for the quotes but poems that need to be read with a certain pattern of tone in the voice or inflection in the voice... what do you think on that subject? Dark poetry needs to be read differently than poems of fantasy or specific to one's celebration of birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Oh , I agree but J I have never taken a class in regards to poetry(h.s junior English class) so all I have is the "laymans experience" but when I read, I always read in a monotonous tone, and then reread as I feel it should be read after the words speak to me. Also when I write I just start writing sometimes my first line will end up with as being the last line. I just like to write no ryhme or reason only what I feel at the moment, lol maybe it shows.

Recently I found a site that tells about different types of poetry, I thought it may be fun to try and match up some of my poems to the different styles(if possible) or try to write from their description. however that would take discipline and may take out some of the creativity of writing. That is where I got the idea of writing Ode To My Flowers... that turned out pretty well so maybe a little structured creativity can be a good thing.Shadow Poetry -- Resources -- Types of Poetry

Hopefully I answered your question... I do tend to ramble...

Aug 9, 2008, 01:35 PM
    "Enemies are the only ones who will be truly honest with you. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty." I don't agree with that in all situations, but it does have some truth to it.

"I owe much to my friends; but, all things considered, it strikes me that I owe even more to my enemies. The real person springs life under a sting even better than under a caress." André Gide
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 04:21 PM
    "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Awe is what the soul feeds upon.
    Fay weldon

I read this on a gardening blog and I think no truer words were ever spoken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has technology influenced our customs and ethics? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not very clear about whether technology has changed our customs or ethics. If so, please present some examples. Thanks.

Need Quotes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to make some cute christmas gifts by having shirts made from an online site, but I'm stumped on what to put on them. On mine the front will say, Because... And the back will say, I'm the Bride and That's Why I'm looking for one of the mother of the bride (my mom) thought about...

? About quotes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi , I am new to the new construction cleaning business and want to know if anyone can tell me if when the quote for a job by sq footage , is the garage included, or should be included/? Doing a job now and his quote did not add garage which is an extra 800sq ft. this doesn't seem right , that he...

View more questions Search