Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christine1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2004, 04:22 PM
    Wallpaper removal
    I've already peeled the top layer of the wallpaper off and am left with the paper backing.

I've tried DIF concentrate mix, letting it sit and resoak twice, I've tried the DIF gel, letting it sit and then I tried straight vinegar.

Nothing seems to be easily taking the backing off, in addition to taking off the top layer of the sheet rock. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it too late to score with the "Paper Tiger" due to the top layer already off and/or to use a steamer?

I've already read some articles about solutions made up of DIF, baking soda, vinegar and fabric softer but would like to know if anyone has used and if it's tried and true.

Thank you!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2004, 05:44 PM
    Re: Wallpaper removal
    Did you post this question here or somewhere else before? I remember seeing a similar question and being puzzled by it. I don't think it was answered.

You sound desperate, maybe I should try to help figure this one out. I never knew of wallpaper coming apart in layers. Was the paper a foil or a heavy plastic coated one? Most drywall has a layer of paint under the wallpaper which protects the drywall paper skin when you wet the wallpaper to remove it. If somebody applied wallpaper directly to the skin of the drywall, you may not be able to remove it except where it was mudded without ruining the drywall. Best thing might be to smooth it up the best you can and paint over it. A longer napped roller will help hide some of the problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wallpaper removal [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently removed vinyl wallpaper from my kitchen walls. It all came off beautifully, but now the walls feel bumpy from what I assume is the glue. I've tried to wash it off, but it just feels slick and sticky and dries bumpy again. Any suggestions? grace1

Stubborn Wallpaper [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into my house about a year ago and I've almost finished renovating all the rooms except the kitchen and dining room. I've decided to start this week and my first task is removing a wallpaper border. I used a scoring tool and then used a mix of hot water and Poly-Peel to loosen the...

Removing old old old wallpaper [ 6 Answers ]

I am remodeling a condo I recently bought. The wallpaper is old and double layer. The wallpaper glue under the base layer is about 2mm thick and won't come off. I have used hot water spray, wallpaper enzymes and elbow grease. The wall board paper is coming off in chunks. Any suggestions...

Removing wallpaper [ 5 Answers ]

I recently bought my house.we are slowly remodeling the all the rooms.one room has wallpaper.it looks really old.I have no idea how I should remove it.a friend told me I could use fabric softern mix with water.is this true?I pull at the wallpaper there seems to be no other layers of wallpaper.any...

Wallpaper Problem [ 1 Answers ]

:(... Hi... I have the Windows 2000 Professional. The Internet Explorer and I am on AOL... The pics that I have chosen for my wallpaper (all from the movies.. my hobby), are piling up on my Desk Top and will not rotate or change. I have many of them. They are forming a collage on my Desk Top. I...

View more questions Search