Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Sep 13, 2005, 03:51 PM
    Water pressure test
    How do you do a water pressure test. I know Tom mentioned it a couple times but I couln't find it. I am having a problem with my new dishwasher not cleaning (I had a plumber install the dishwasher from scratch). Knowing that the people before us didn't always do things right I want to make sure there is enough pressure (as long as it is easy to do). The other problem might be our water is too hard (according to manual). Anyway, if I am able to do this then I will know for rthe future for other things as wells. Thanks.;
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2005, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jduke44
    How do you do a water pressure test. I know Tom mentioned it a couple times but I couln't find it. I am having a problem with my new dishwasher not cleaning (I had a plumber install the dishwasher from scratch). Knowing that the people before us didn't always do things right I want to make sure there is enough pressure (as long as it is easy to do). The other problem might be our water is too hard (according to manual). Anyways, if I am able to do this then I will know fo rthe future for other things as wells. Thanks.;
    Hey Duke,
    House pressures will run between 40 and 50 PSI with the average 45 PSI.
    There are many ways to test your homes water pressure. If you wish a permanent gage that will monitor your house pressure 24/7 then cut in a tee where the water service enters your home and bush the branch down to accept a 0 to 100 PSI gage.
    However, for service calls I needed one that I could carry in my tool kit and still adapt to any house I walked into. I took a 1/2" copper to female thread adapter, soldered a short piece of 1/2" copper pipe on it with a 1/2" coupling that accepted a threaded bushing I could thread a gage on to.
    I then had me a presure tester that would work any where I could get to a 1/2" male thread. All I had to do was unscrew the 1/2" shower head and replace it with my gage and turn on the shower. Result? Instant reading. I hope this helps you but if you have questions click on back. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to pressure-test gas pipe [ 15 Answers ]

Hi again! First, MANY thanks to you experts for the help I've gotten in the last month. I passed my plumbing inspection for my new bathroom and kitchen! Now, on to one more little one. I'm installing gas lines. The house was previously on oil heat and all other appliances were electric,...

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Hot mopped shower water test [ 5 Answers ]

Hi my husband and I recently had our shower stall hotmopped for our membrane. We were told to do a water test by plugging the drain hole, filling the pan w/water and see if it held overnight. Well we bought an appropriate water test plug and the water goes down while we're standing there watching...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search