Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    becky168 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Are mp3 players better than ipods?
    Hey just wondering whether to buy an iPod? I already have a 2GB mp3 player but I don't really like it. Are ipods worth the money you pay for them? A lot of people have told me that they break really easily which has kind of put me off. I'm going away soon and need some entertainment! Also is it easy to put songs off CDs onto an iPod :confused:
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Oct 6, 2007, 05:44 PM
    I wouldn't say iPods break easily. I mean, sure, if you throw it across the room you might have some trouble, but as long as you take care of it nothing will go wrong.

It is very easy to put whole CDs onto iPods.

I would suggest getting an iPod video. The older models hold 30 or 80 GB of memory. The new iPod videos hold 80 to 160 GB, but are about twice as thick. Plus, they play videos.
    lily_678 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Oct 6, 2007, 05:53 PM
    I don't have an I pod but I did and there pretty cool I would get an I pod vidio there bigger but you can watch vidios on them :)
    lily_678 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Oct 6, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Get an I pod video there asowme
    Goddard Posts: 50, Reputation: 9

Oct 6, 2007, 06:05 PM
    You can get a 4Gig iPod nano for $149 or an 8Gig nano for $199. I would suggest the nano for a first time iPod user. The new nano's play video as well. They also come in cool new colors, and they're very easy to use. The link below is for the iPod nano. The prices I listed were US dollars. If you live in another country, just choose your country from the drop down menu at the bottom right.

The Apple Store (U.S.) - iPod nano
    mainlandkid Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 11:56 PM
    Well I was going to suggest the sansa e series... it can hold pictures, music[of course], and videos... plus you can listen to the radio... and I believe they are a tad cheeper than the iPod...
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 12:39 AM
    iPod is similar to any mp3 player because of the functions they do, which is to play music. iPod is a better player because it's design and better quality. Nowadays it they can play videos as well and you can get mp4 players, which do the same job. If you can buy an iPod I would definitely recommend you to do it...
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 05:47 AM
    No just cheaper... which probably makes it better.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2007, 06:12 AM
    If you are going to rip CDs you already own and transfer the mp3s to a player then you don't really need the hassle of using iTunes. I prefer a sansa or and of the other brands that allow my to copy and delete files at will from Windows Explorer.
    Solo47 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 07:02 PM
    I was always against ipods until I actually decided to buy one.

I wanted to be different from the crowd and get an mp3 player, I had a couple of these and found that they failed to work very easily and the software for them was always poor.

Because of this I decided to buy an Ipod nano 4gb, and I have to say its one of the best buys I've ever made, I've had it for over a year now and its never faultered, and I've even dropped it got water on it and everything (im a bit of a clumsy b*tard)

Also the software provided with the iPod which is usually itunes is top notch, it is easy to use and is regularly updated to avoid bugs or flaws opening up in the program.

So to sum up, get an iPod, you won't be disappointed.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by becky168
    Hey just wondering whether to buy an ipod? I already have a 2GB mp3 player but i don't really like it. Are ipods worth the money you pay for them? A lot of people have told me that they break really easily which has kind of put me off. I'm going away soon and need some entertainment! Also is it easy to put songs off CDs onto an ipod :confused:
    I used to have a 20gb philips now I have a 30gb viseo iPod because the philips one broke just after my waranty ran out, it does depend on what you do and how you keep your iPod, mine now has a solid plastic case which prevents scratches and direct knocks, yes it is easy because itunes usually converts the songs and puts them in your library so that when your iPod is next connected it automatically updates. Also ipods are better catered for i.e there is more stuff available for their use
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    iPod is similar to any mp3 player because of the functions they do, which is to play music. iPod is a better player because it's design and better quality. Nowadays it they can play videos as well and you can get mp4 players, which do the same job. If you can buy an iPod i would definitely recommend you to do it...
    I'd sort of disagree, an Ipod is not necessarily better quality. In fact since the battery is internal when it breaks (and I do say when) you have to send the entire unit in for replacement.

Also your stuck only downloading I-tunes, it's very much a monopoly, once they get you to buy their hardware your stuck with their software and file formats, while with a regular mp3 player you can use multiple file types.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    I'd sort of disagree, an Ipod is not necesarily better quality. In fact since the battery is internal when it breaks (and i do say when) you have to send the entire unit in for replacement.

Also your stuck only downloading i-tunes, it's very much a monopoly, once they get you to buy their hardware your stuck with their software and file formats, while with a regular mp3 player you can use multiple file types.
    Not true I have never bought a single song from I tunes and I get a lot of my songs from the internet, (current count at nearing 3000), itunes converts the song to play on your iPod and you don't buy itunes either you download it from the web site, when you have an iPod
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 05:39 AM
    When I said that iPod is better quality, is because of the easy-of-use design and not necessarily better specifications.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrascal
    Personally, I hate iPods and anything Apple-produced. What I have and really love is the Creative Labs Zen Vision W. I have the 30 gig one. It can hold tons of mp3s, videos, photos, and has a built-in FM radio tuner as well (something the iPod doesn't have).
    APPLE HATER! besides the reason you buy a mp3/4 player is to listen to your own stuff, not the radio, my brother has a 20gb creative and has problems with the software, ipods are so much more user friendly
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Oct 19, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Why is the radio a big selling point? You can buy a personal radio at the dollar general for less than $5 (it's only $1 where I live). Besides, there is no point of having a radio if you already have your own songs, or vice-versa, just like albear said.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    I'd sort of disagree, an Ipod is not necesarily better quality. In fact since the battery is internal when it breaks (and i do say when) you have to send the entire unit in for replacement.

Also your stuck only downloading i-tunes, it's very much a monopoly, once they get you to buy their hardware your stuck with their software and file formats, while with a regular mp3 player you can use multiple file types.

Worthbeads, I was referring to LEGAL music downloading, try going to a service like Urge or Rhapsody and you'll see what I mean, due to DRM restrictions you can't play these legally downloaded .mp3's on an iPod.

I don't know, I'd say in the end Ipod's have the nicest interface but that's about it. With restrictions on where you can download songs and the need to install a program to download music onto it I just don't like them. I prefer mp3 players that are essentially flash drives and you can drag and drop music onto them easily. Right now I'm using the Mobiblu Cube and it's my favourite so far

mobiBLU
    becky168 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 12:20 PM
    thanks for all your suggestions, I decided to get the iPod classic 80GB =]
    I'm happy with it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mp3 to wav & Wav to mp3 converter [ 2 Answers ]

Can any body tells me where I can find the free full version of Mp3 to wav and wav to mp3 converter. Thanks..

Importing my music to Ipods and Itunes [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I have to admit I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to MP3's, Ipods etc. so this question may not make sense. If so just tell me so and ill try and reword. Ok, I am looking at buying an Ipod Video 30GB (not that it makes any difference). Now my understanding of how they work is that if I...

Ipods [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering... exactly how do Ipods work? Like when you buy one how do you get the songs on and everything? :D

Mp3 players [ 1 Answers ]

I want to buy an mp3 player but I don't know which one I should get... I am willing so spend up to 0I need it to work with windows 98 I want it to hold at least around 1000 songs What would you recommend? Thanks!

View more questions Search