Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rkbynum Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Connecting new 220V line & tapping off a 110V outlet.
    I have a 220V outlet on the outside of my garage, originally intended to power 220v compressors, welders, etc. I am installing a well not far from this outlet, which needs 220V and I want to run a line from the outlet (underground) line to the pump. How do I do the connections to the pump and can I come off this 220V line and get 110V for a heater to be installed next to the pump?

Thanks in advance!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Basically not a good idea. You can use 240V welder line for th pump but you will have to lower the circuit breaker protect the wiring to the pump. If you do not have a neutral in the welder line you of course cannot get 120V circuit from it. If you do have a neutral line and tie in to it for the heater, the combined use of the heater and the pump will probably exceed the circuit breaker amperage. Even if it doesn't, who knows what you are doing to the amperage at the pump motor. Assuming a submersible pump, you don't want to be pulling and replacing a pump motor to save a few feet of wire.

Jul 19, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Thanks for the quick response. Just to double-check - I can use the existing wire to a control box with a new circuit breaker rated for the new well pump. But, the best idea for the 110V is to run another line, separate from the 220V line, add a c/b at the control box I used for the 220 and then to a new outlet.

Randy
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Yes , you could change out the existing welder outlet for a subpanel providing that the existing wiring is a 3 conductors with ground and is of sufficient size to provide the amperage of both the pump and the heater. To do that you would leave the existing breaker at the main panel, install the subpanel with a double breaker for the well and a single breaker for the heater. Otherwise reduce the breaker at the main panel to fit the size of the well wiring, probably 20 amps, use the welder box as a junction box and connect the well wiring. Run a separate line from the main panel to the garage for the heater. Depend on distance and difficulty of installing a cable from the main panel to the garage this may be the most economical approach.

Jul 19, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Thanks very much!

Randy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v dryer plug different than 220v wall outlet [ 16 Answers ]

Dryer has 2 flat and 1 round prong, outlet has 3 flat prongs. Is there an adapter for that? Also do they make a 220v extension cord or a two into one adapter for a 220v?

220v to 110v [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an electric stovetop. The one I removed had 4 wires.. red, black,white, and bare copper. The new one has 3.. black, red, and bare.. from what I have read here, the old system is a 220v/110v system... I assume that I hook up red to red, black to black, bare to ground. How...

Two 110v. To one 220v. [ 1 Answers ]

I need to change two 110 v. circuits coming into a garage to 220 v. to run an air compressor..

Connecting ground to 220v 3-wire outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to connect my bandsaw to an old-style 3-wire 220v dryer outlet (2 hot wires, 1 neutral). My bandsaw has no neutral wire. Do I connect the ground from the machine to the neutral socket?

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

View more questions Search