Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SarahJean3957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Bacterial Infection ob gyn
    I am 17 years old. I had my first pap test last week and the doctor called my dad back and said I have a bacterial infection. I read online that it is an STD. I wanted to talk to my gyno because I am scared about this but I wanted to talk to them without my dad knowing because I am sexually active and he doesn't know. I can't without getting billed to my house and I really don't want him to know. Is a bacterial infection really an STD? Am I passing it onto my boyfriend? What else do I need to know about it?
    GGertie Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Nov 12, 2010, 04:31 PM
    You can call and talk to the nurse who should be able to answer your questions. Many areas also have Call A Nurse or something similar where you can call and speak with a nurse.
    You may have gotten the infection from your boyfriend, from improper cleaning or simply from your unwashed hands. It may or may not be a STD.
    What you need to know is:
    1. If your doctor prescribed an antibiotic, take it exactly as directed, take all of it even if the symptoms subside.
    2. You can pass the infection to your boyfriend, who can, in turn give it back to you. He needs to be treated as well and you need to use condoms if you continue to have sex. Ideally, you should stop having sex until the infection is under control.
    3. To prevent a recurrence of the infection, in addition to the above, wash your hands before and after using the bathroom. Clean yourself by wiping front to back - in other words, if you have a bowel movement and drag the toilet paper from the back towards the front, you are transferring feces to your front area which may result in a urinary tract infection and/or vaginal infection.
    4. Practice safe sex - use condoms.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 04:31 PM

Sarah, there isn't anywhere where you could have read where this enterprets to an STD. A bacterial infection can mean a urinary tract infection that can be contracted by not be diligent in your cleaning when you have a bowel movement, or wearing the same underpants too many days in a row.

Any woman can get this if not careful. You also have to have some guidance regarding sexual experiences (and you should know all of this by l7).

I don't necessarily care about your b/f, he should know better too.

Call your doctor, ask him if it is a UTI and get a prescription for antiobotics and get it cleared up. Abstain from sex unless you know how to be careful. No foreplay around your pubic area if you b/f has dirty nails, dirty hands, that will give you an infection too.

Get yourself well informed to be safe, sarah.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vaginal Bacterial Infection [ 8 Answers ]

I have a general question. I did call my doctor, but I then had dinner with a friend last night and she made me a bit paranoid lol. I started an antibiotic for a vaginal bacterial infection on Sunday afternoon. I take Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo... When I first received the antibiotic from my dr. I...

Bacterial infection again? [ 1 Answers ]

I have had 3 bacterial infections in the past 7 months. Now any kind of disharge worries me. I constantly wonder if it has come back a forth time! I have slight white discharge that usually just appears in the toilet when I use the restroom. It doesn't have a smell, but I'm still worried,...

UTI/Bacterial Infection [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I'm 8 weeks pregnant and when I pass my urine I feel very little burning and even see some white blood cells in my urine and can even smell some foulness. I talked to my Doctor about it but she said even if I've any Bacterial infection/UTI I can't be treated until I finish my First Trimester.I...

Bacterial Infection [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what PSEUDOMO is,and how is it treated

Bacterial infection [ 3 Answers ]

I had a bacterial vaginal infection diagnosed 2 weeks ago. Saw the dr. got medicine. It cleare d up, now it's back. I have another appt. next week, but why does this keep happening. I wash everyday, keep myself clean etc. :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search