Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clarinet3685 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 09:07 PM
    How to show we were insolvent when we settled our credit card?
    We settled our credit card a few months back, and we're waiting on the 1099 form. I have always used TurboTax, but I will be finding a CPA to do our taxes this year with the 1099. We own our home, but aside from that, we have nothing in the bank, next to nothing in retirement. I'm hoping we can prove we were insolvent so we don't get penalized for the settlement. Any advice would be great!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2011, 10:29 AM
    How much debt was forgiven on the credit card settlement?

How much other income did you earned in aggregate in 2010?
    clarinet3685 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2011, 05:17 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    About $2000 was forgiven, and my husband makes ~$42000/year. We are a family of 3. Thank you so much! Is there anyone you would recommend as a cpa? We are in Gwinnett county.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old credit card debt settled previously [ 3 Answers ]

I had some cc debt that was sent to a collection agency... the account was settled and I only have the bank statements to prove that I had sent the checks to that collection agency in this case phillips and burns llc . However the account was sent to another agency just now and they are trying to...

Settled credit card debts [ 9 Answers ]

I want to settle a credit card debt with a collection agency and the credit card company still owns it. After we agree on a settlement, I will send them a letter of agreement that states they are authorized by the credit card company to do this and they will remove it from my credit report. I saw a...

Collection of credit card debt if insolvent and on disability [ 1 Answers ]

My sister is 50 years old, lives in Florida, is totally disabled and receives social security disability. She is receiving threatening calls from a credit company who states that they are going to garnish her social security check (I think she gets ($800/month) and have told her that if she doesn't...

Credit rating: Settled vs Paid [ 1 Answers ]

A few years ago, we ren into financial hardship. I contacted one of our credit card companies to ask them to work out a payment arrangement with me. They refused because my acount was "in good standing". Well, we defaulted on the payments as I warned them may happen. They rapidly inflated the...

Settled accounts removed from credit report [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I reviewing my credit report, I noticed some discrepancies. Two in particular, related to two settled accounts, which did not reflect that I had paid the charged-off accounts. I tried for months to get a the collection company (Arrow) to correct it, to no avail. I then filed a...

View more questions Search