Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waterboy57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2005, 06:17 PM
    Septic smell in house
    Every winter I get a sewage smell throughout my house. I have a basement with a crawl space at the end and from within this crawl space is where the smell originates. My furnace is about 10 feet from this 3 foot square hole which goes to the crawl space and you can feel and smell the odor coming out of it. The crawl space is about 2 feet high and has a concrete floor. Upon entering this crawl space if you put your nose to the floor where the concrete floor meets the concrete wall that is where the smell is coming from. If you followed that crack it would take you to the front wall of the house and outside this wall is where the septic tank is. What I'm wondering now is maybe there is a broken line going to the septic tank just outside the front wall and the odor is finding its way back into the house. Funny thing it only happens during the winter, but then that's the only time the furnace runs. Any thoughts on what may be the problem. Thanks Trevor
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2005, 06:07 AM
    Septic smell in house
    It sounds like something is open somewhere allowing sewage to seep into the soil and through the crack in the cement. The smell's more noticeable in a small enclosed area such as your crawl space. Short of digging up the line to check sending a camera called a "Sewer Viewer" down the line might be the only way to locate the problem. Or a simpler fix might just be to contain the smell and seal off the crawl space. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

OK... I want to start by saying I have done my homework over the past several weeks and several times thought I had this problem licked. I consider myself a handyman but this problem has got me stumped. We moved into this house in June 2005. In late October 2005 my wife and I noticed a foul...

Sewer Smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting what appears to be a sewer smell in my house that seems to be coming up from the basement. I have filled all the traps and the smell continues, from where I cannot tell. Over the past few years I have had a different problem as well. Roots have apparently worked their way into the...

Methane Gas in house from Septic [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a 5 year old home. The basement has had a bathroom roughed in, including the container for a sewage ejection pump. The problem I am having is there is an odor coming into the house through the as yet unsed connection. As near as I can tell, the discharge line does have a check...

Sewage Smell All Over the House [ 3 Answers ]

I have read all of the forums posted on this subject, but none seem to relate to my exact problem. My dad and I built this house in 2002. The plumber we hired was very good. My plumbing is all in the concrete slab. However, I am getting a sewage smell throughout the house with no obvious...

Sewer smell in the house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! We have a lingering sewer smell coming out of our guest bathroom. It was a brandnew house when we moved in about two months ago. The bathroom didn't smell until we started to use that bathroom. We sealed the loose connection on the sewer vent pipe that goes through the attic and raised the vent...

View more questions Search