Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duluthman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2006, 07:33 PM
    Leak in bathroom ceiling from upstairs shower
    We have a slight leaking problem in the downstairs bathroom ceiling last year and the homeshield contractor came to check it. We were told it was not a plumbing problem and the water coming from the shower upstairs. We did the caulking as suggested and the problem seemed to go away.

Recently we found some fresh water stain (about 3-4 inches in diameter) and we thought it was time to do the grouting/caulking again. To make sure it was not the draining pipe problem, I poured about 3 gallons water into the hole and didn't observe any water leaking downstairs. That encouraged me to spend half day looking for tiny holes/cracks on the tile wall and fixing them.

Today, after 72 hrs of caulking and grouting, I used the shower again. The water seems to find a shortcut to go through the ceiling. It not just leaks, it rains! I tested the draining hole again, and this time the leaking on the downstairs bathroom ceiling started almost immediately.

My question is, does this mean there is some pipe problem, or do I need to replace the whole shower basin?

Thank you so much!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2006, 02:16 PM
    Hey duluthman,
    One of the first jobs I had was working the ore boats on the Great Lakes.
    I know Duluth very well.
    "I tested the draining hole again, and this time the leaking on the downstairs bathroom ceiling started almost immediately"
    Before you go through the hassle of removing the ceiling and checking the trap unscrew the lip of the drain enough to force silicon grout/caulk under the lip all the way around and retighten. Now test again. Good luck, tom
    sajonad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Some times the bypass valve for the tub to shower leaks when the shower button is pulled to activate the shower. The water leaks behind the water spout out of the o ring because of the pressure caused by diverting the water to the shower head that's why the leak is not visible and leaks back behind the water spout down the inside of the drywall through the ceiling

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2012, 02:35 PM
    Hi sajonad and welcome to the Plumbing pageat at AskMeHelpDesk.com. You piggybacked on an a 6 year old dead thread. In the future, before you post, look in the upper left hand corner for the date.
    We thank you for the Input. The problem was a ruptured drain seal. We look forward to seeing more of you in the future. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low pressure in my upstairs bathroom shower [ 7 Answers ]

I need some help. My bathroom on the 2nd floor has very little hot water pressure in the sink and shower... I cleaned out the screens and had my hot water heater flushed... any ideas?

Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on. ...

Upstairs shower leaking to 1st floor ceiling [ 14 Answers ]

My upstairs shower is leaking to 1st floor ceiling. Below is my troubleshooting: * I tested by not using the shower for awhile, leak stopped so I know it's not from water line. * I had water going directly to drain pipe, no leak so I know it's not the pipes under the floor. * I took drain cover...

Leak in ceiling from upstairs shower [ 2 Answers ]

The ceiling in my downstairs bathroom leaks when the upstairs shower is used. The leak starts about five minutes after the shower has been turned on and continues after the shower is turned off. The leak is coming from two or three small holes in the wood directly beneath the upstairs shower. ...

Leak from upstairs shower drain [ 5 Answers ]

My house is about 2 years old and the original owner had an extra upstairs bathroom installled by a plumber rather than the builder. The shower is used infrequently and I noticed a leak on the first floor ceiling today. Should I expect the plumber to honor the work after a 1 1/2 years and prior...

View more questions Search