Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jyjyjy147 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 07:41 PM
    What to do if non custodial parent claims your child on taxes?
    What to do if non custodial parent claims your child on taxes? Does him or her go to jail? How much do they have to pay interest and how much is the penalty they have to pay?
    deville p Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

Jul 1, 2012, 07:47 PM
    Who pays over 50% of raising the child? Is their a court order saying who has the right to claim?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2012, 08:02 PM
    If they claim the child or children, then you will have to still file and provide documents proving you have the right to claim them.

Normally nothing happens to them, except they will lose that credit and deduction and have to repay any refund they got incorrectly, plus perhaps penalties but nothing major
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deville p View Post
    Who pays over 50% of raising the child?
    Deville- FYI, it doesn't matter who is paying the majority of the expense for the child - the custodial parent always gets to claim the child as a dependent (unless he/she has signed a waiver which the non-custodial parent must include in their tax filing, or unless the divorce was pre-2008, as noted next).

Is their a court order saying who has the right to claim?
    For divorces prior to 2008 the non-custodial parent could include appropriate pages from the court order granting him/her the right to claim the child. But as of 2008 the custodial parent must still provide the waiver, as above.

Fr_Chuck is correct - as the custodial parent you should file your taxes and claim your child as usual, except that you must file a paper return - if you try to file electronically the computers at the IRS will note the discrepancy and reject your return. Include with your paper return a note stating that you are the custodian parent, and a page from the court decree stating such - this will provided evidence that you are the rightful claimant and the IRS will then go after your ex for improper claiming of a dependent, and eventually he'll have to pay additional taxes plus interest. It may take a while, as the wheels of justice at the IRS turn slow, but fine.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2012, 06:34 AM
    Who pays over 50% of raising the child? Is their a court order saying who has the right to claim?

IRS says:

"If a child is claimed as a qualifying child by two or more taxpayers in a given year, the child will be the qualifying child of: the parent;
    if more than one taxpayer is the child’s parent, the one with whom the child lived for the longest time during the year, or, if the time was equal, the parent with the highest AGI; if no taxpayer is the child’s parent, the taxpayer with the highest adjusted gross income (AGI)." A ?Qualifying Child?

The party claiming the exemption can, of course, be designated by a Court-approved Order or agreement.

I see nothing about 50%. Where did you read that?
    Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I see nothing about 50%. Where did you read that?
    It's a common misconception, perhaps confusion with the 50% rule that applies to a dependent you want to claim as a "qualifying relative" (such as your parents if you support them), but this does not apply to "qualifying children." The only support requirement for children is that the child must not have provided more than 50% of his/her own support.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2012, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    It's a common misconception, perhaps confusion with the 50% rule that applies to a dependent you want to claim as a "qualifying relative" (such as your parents if you support them), but this does not apply to "qualifying children." The only support requirement for children is that the child must not have provided more than 50% of his/her own support.
    Brace yourself to be stalked and reddied by Deville.

Jul 2, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Brace yourself to be stalked and reddied by Deville.
    Brace yourself? IRS says who ever pays majority of the chid care 50% or greater claims the child. But normally custodial parent is paying 50% are more. Courts also do even and odd alternating if both parents provide 50% chiid care. So what happens if he provides to the IRS he pays Marjory of the child care and the mother provides court papers to IRS ,says she's custodial parent?

Jul 2, 2012, 07:58 AM
    There is loop holes in law and IRS so brace yourself! You may all be wrong including myself! Nobody can ever give a true right answer unless you judge and even they could be proven wrong !
    Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 08:02 AM
    Brace yourself? Irs says who ever pays majority of the chid care 50% or greater claims the child.
    No - they don't say this at all.

So what happens if he provides to the IRS he pays Marjory of the child care and the mother provides court papers to irs ,says she's custodial parent?
    Then she wins the case, unless she has signed a declaration stating that she won't claim the child. Please read the section titled "Children of divorced or separated parents or parents who live apart," on page 13 of IRS pub 501: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Jul 2, 2012, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    No - they don't say this at all.

Then she wins the case, unless she has signed a declaration stating that she won't claim the child. Please read the section titled "Children of divorced or separated parents or parents who live apart," on page 13 of IRS pub 501: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf
    This particular case yes.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2012, 08:50 AM
    This particular case yes.
    In ALL cases with the exceptions I posted - did you read the law?
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2012, 08:53 AM
    Irs says who ever pays majority of the chid care 50% or greater claims the child. But normally custodial parent is paying 50% are more. Courts also do even and odd alternating if both parents provide 50% chiid care. So what happens if he provides to the IRS he pays Marjory of the child care and the mother provides court papers to irs ,says she's custodial parent?

Child care is NOT the only issue if you are talking about which parent pays 50%. So you are saying if the mother, for example, pays all other expenses but pays 40% of child care that the father, who pays 60% of child care, can claim the child?

Again - quote the law.

Jul 2, 2012, 10:27 AM
    If 147 needs more advice then we will continue this chat. I particular know about this topic because I have a child and I'm not custodial parent but be cause I pay equal towards all things he needs I claim him everyother year court order! Experience is better than reading a law book. In reality what ever the out come is. That's what you live with regardless of the law you love to quote. EVERY CASE CAN BE DIFFERENT.

Jul 2, 2012, 10:29 AM
    If 147 needs more advice then we will continue this chat. I particular know about this topic because I have a child and I'm not custodial parent but be cause I pay equal towards all things he needs I claim him everyother year court order! Experience is better than reading a law book. In reality what ever the out come is. That's what you live with regardless of the law you love to quote. EVERY CASE CAN BE DIFFERENT.
    thanks you all bye!
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2012, 10:48 AM
    And that is - again - because a Court Order takes pecedent. If there IS no Order the law applies.

You don't claim the child just because you pay 50% - you claim him because the Court says you can. For that matter you could pay nothing and claim him IF the Court agrees to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can custodial parent claim child for taxes if she doesn't work? [ 3 Answers ]

My husbands ex(one night stand) fights with us every year about who claims their daughter on taxes. She does not work and he pays over half the child support. She has a live in boyfriend who thinks that he can claim her. My husband has never signed any papers on this topic and neither has she. But,...

Can the non custodial parent claim the child on their taxes? [ 0 Answers ]

My ex husband and I split in August 2010, does he have the legal right to claim my son on his 2010 taxes? I have a child support order stating that Im the custodial parent.

Non custodial parent claiming child on taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a non-custodial parent and when the divorce decree was finalized, there is no mention at all in it that states who can claim, apparently it was left out. I make my payments through the child suport center, never missed a payment in 10 years. My ex also makes double what I make and I do...

Non-custodial parent claimed child on his taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I just found out that my child's father claimed my 4 month old son on his taxes! Before I did I am so pissed and I want to know if there is something I ca do about this? And the sad thing is he does not support or see him at all.

Can the non-custodial parent claim the child on their taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 yrs old and her father has not done anything for her. Now out the blue, he wants to be in her life. We have a temperary child support established ( as of today). He wants to claim her on his taxes next year. Can he do this being that he is the non-custodial parent and has never...

View more questions Search