Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    strings Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2005, 12:50 PM
    Packard bell diamond 1200 plus scanner won't install
    Hi I have a Packard bell diamond 1200 scanner plus and when I tried to install it the other day it said it couldn't verify it certificate and continuing with the installation could destabilize and impar my computer, the thing is that I installed it before and its worked fine but I don't know why it isn't installing now.
    HELP!? :( :(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2005, 04:50 PM
    If you read the message carefully its saying it MAY do those things, not that it will. Microsoft asks manufacturers to certify drivers and software to earn the Windows logo on their boxes. While its not required, MS has gotten more aggressive with it and if the driver or software is not authenticated, Microsoft will warn you that you are installing at your own risk.

However, if you installed the device previously under the same operating system and it worked fine, then just ignore the messages.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2005, 06:13 AM
    Install
    Hi,
    When you saw those "warnings by Windows" pop-ups while trying to install the scanner, did you stop there?
    If so, install it, and just simply tell those pop-ups to install anyway.
    You cannot harm your computer by doing the installation.

Best wishes,
    fredg

May 29, 2005, 06:46 AM
    Cheeers for the responses guys and when the windows certificate warning box came up I ignored it and then tried to contiue to install the scanner but it said the wizard could not install the scanner because there was an error.

May 29, 2005, 09:14 AM
    Can you give more details about the error? What was the exact text of the error? Also when you installed it before, was it on the same PC with the same operating system?

May 29, 2005, 09:39 AM
    I tried to upload some screen shots but it won't let me upload it I would be more than happy to email it to you

May 29, 2005, 09:44 AM
    The error says 'the class installer has denied the request to install or upgrade this device'

May 30, 2005, 03:08 AM
    Are you trying to install under Windows XP? Are you using an administrator account?

May 30, 2005, 04:40 AM
    Yes I am trying to install the scanner on windows xp and I'm loged on as a administrator.
    I also have windows SP2 installed as well if that helps

May 30, 2005, 01:16 PM
    And when you had this previously installed was it also under XP?

May 30, 2005, 02:26 PM
    Yes but sp2 wasn't installed

May 30, 2005, 07:45 PM
    Its possible something in SP2 is causing the conflict then. You might want to try uninstalling SP2 and see if it works.

If it does, then you have a decision to make. Frankly I would get a new scanner.
    fingersd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Pb1200+
    Hi All, it has been well documented on the net that the Packard Bell 1200+ scanner Driver does not work under Windows SP2. The best workround I have found is to download the Drivers for the Mustek Bearpaw 1200+ (the HP1200+ is just a Rebadged Mustek scanner) The Mustek drivers are fine with SP2. Drivers can be found at-
    http://www.mustek.com.tw/apprg/showd...CUPlus&LSID=31

Hope this helps

Aug 3, 2005, 10:37 AM
    I downloaded the drivers but when I try to install it, it says the system file is not suitable for running 16 bit MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications click close to terminate the program.
    fingersd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2005, 05:30 AM
    1200 plus usb
    Hi Strings, I know this set of drivers will work with the 1200 plus usb as I have been using them myself now for a while, a few things you should check though are, 1: make sure you uninstall any previous drivers you have tried as this will cause a conflict. 2: install drivers before connecting scanner to usb port 3: Try re downloading Driver pack (they have changed the drivers since I used them) Stick with it it will work.

Alternatively I could email you the files I used (its 25 meg though) my pack
    Includes 3 exe's which I have named "run 1st" "2nd" and "3rd" also install instructions and PDF manual.

Post here with address to let me know if you need them ;)

Good Luck,
    Dave.
    helpneeded Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2005, 04:52 PM
    I found this thread whislt searching for a solution to a class installer problem.

I have a similar problem with a scanner driver. I have a new Dell PC with xp sp2 loaded. I tried to install a Diamond View 648UT scanner (USB port) but came up with the class installer error. I originally had the scanner installed and working OK on another PC that was running xp upgraded to sp2. I then loaded Pinnacle Studio 9 software and my scanner stopped working. I uninstalled the scanner and tried re-installing it but all I ever got when I tried to use the scanner was a message saying the drivers were corrupt.

I installed the scanner on a notebook running xp sp2 and it works fine.

I contacted the scannner provider who suggested that I uninstall the scanner and Studio 9 and reinstall Studio 9 then the scanner. Still the same result - no scanner.

To cut a long story short, I got a new PC and (as administrator) loaded studio 9 first then tried to install the scanner and came up with the class installer error and the scanner drivers won't install. I uninstalled studio 9 again and removed all references to it from the registry, uninstalled the scanner and tried to install it again. Still the same class installer error.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to restore the drivers with out totally re-installing xp? And if I do this, what's to stop the problem from re-occurring? Is it Studio 9 that is corrupting the drivers? As I said earleir, the scannner is OK on a notebook (without studio 9) and there are not problems.

Any help much appreciated
    Chris

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Packard Bell Diamond 1200 plus flat bed scanner [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have one of the above scanners. Since I upgraded to Windows Xp Pro I cannot get it to scan. When I look in System Manager it says that the scanner is installed OK and the icon shows on the My Computer screen Is this a problem with my scanner or my USB installation? Anybody any ideas or...

Windows won't re-install [ 2 Answers ]

My system crashed and so I formatted my 20g hard drive on another machine and then used tried to reinstall windows from the CD. I get this error message " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". I have tried to remove all the hardware...

My Scanner Doesn't automatically install itself, what do I do? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Packard Bell, Diamond 1200 scanner, and the instructions say... "The windows operating system automatically detects your scanner and updates your system configuration"... the only thing is, its doesn't automatically detect it, what do I do? Please help x

Clueless! WinXP won't install on IDE. Please HLP! [ 8 Answers ]

Goal: To install windows on an IDE drive, located on Primary IDE Master. Problem: When booting from the windows cd, it will do the initial install just fine (when it's in the CMD looking bootup). Then when it finishes and restarts the computer, it will boot into the same 'installing windows'...

Packard Bell BIOS Upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

I havea 1997 PB PL2220. Have maxed memory to 128mb, 48x16x48 burner, 56x CD ROM, 8.4 G WD HDD with ATA66 (PCI card added). Works good, but slow. I downloaded BIOS update for the 680 M. Board, but when I try to update, the program starts to configure the blank floppy disk, dos type script says...

View more questions Search