Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    captain d Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 04:55 PM
    Spell check will not work
    I have ms office 2007 and windows vista my spell check will not correct most words in outlook or word if I spell" thet is in teh hosu" and go to spell check it says is complete
    If I spell allimuinmm it won't correct it
    I have tried everything I can think of all the option boxes etc
    Help!!
    stingRay18 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2009, 02:44 PM

I just today experienced the same symptom. If you Google search this topic others have experienced it as well. Most of the WEB solutions pointed to clearing things in the Windows registry, which is not something to do unless you know how to do it w/o messing things up.

What I just found is that some of my older Word 2007 documents, when reopened, would spell check just fine (find some of yours and try it). This lead me to finding that somehow the document's format is blocking the spell check. I'm not exactly sure why or what is doing it but clearing the formatting for the document fixes it.

Try selecting all of the text in the document and then go to the Clear Formatting icon in the toolbar at the top (under Mailings). This fixed it for me. Then you will need to selectively restore your document's format to what you had it originally.

I hope some MS Word expert reading this will be able to find the true underlying cause. This seems like it could be an MS bug.

Be well.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2009, 02:47 PM

I've encountered this before. What may be the problem is that you have setup your normal paragraph formatting for No Proofing. This could happen unknowingly. Check the format of your paragraphs to see if this has been set.
    stingRay18 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2009, 02:53 PM

Can you advise where to check this paragraph formatting. All I see is line space choices, etc. No proofing check box.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stingRay18 View Post
    Can you advise where to check this paragraph formatting. All I see is line space choices, etc. No proofing check box.
    Select Formatting and choose Language.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spell check does not work MS woord [ 7 Answers ]

No matter what I do, the spell check does not work with this one perticuler document; If I open a new document and start typing, it does work... I am trying to find out what's so special or not so special about this document that the speel check refuse to work. I even go in and make mistake...

View more questions Search