Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbalboaxxx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 04:58 AM
    Quit claim fraud
    I have a dilema. My grandmother was a victim of fraud. From our understanding, someone gave her a check for 500 dollars (which she cashed) and tricked her into signing a quit claim deed for it. Unfortunately we did not find this out until about 7 months later, and now we find out that the person who she quit claimed it too has passed away and left it to one of his relatives. What can we do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2007, 06:15 AM
    How do you know it was fraud? You will have to file suit to have the quit claim deed voided.

Sep 27, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Well I know its fruad because my grandmother doesn't know the man who died at all and she lives in a 400k apartment and she isn't dumb enough to sell it for 500 dollars. What is the most likely scenario that can play out?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2007, 05:55 PM
    You will have to sue the estate of the dead person, for ownership of the property, But it is a hard case, Normally deeds have to be witness and or notorised, so the person signing would have to know what they were doing
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2007, 05:56 PM
    No you suspect its fraud, but it's a pretty good guess. Is your grandmother in possession of her faculties? Can she testify what happened?

Get an attorney and brong suit against the estate of the guy who scammed her.

Sep 27, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Well when we saw the copy of the quit claim deed they also have notary who was compromised because he says he saw them both sign it, which is obviously not the case. The dilema lies in that the people he left it to have no clue of what was going on, they were just told that property was left to them. They believe that it looks like fraud too but they say that they do not know what the real story is behind it all. They told us that they are willing to sell the property and give us half but that seems like we are getting robbed, I don't want to give someone my grandmothers house just because a relative of theirs scammed her and then died.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim [ 1 Answers ]

In settlement proceedings with my x-wife, I agreed to sign a quit claim deed, leaving the marital home to her. In mediation she agreed to accept the debts and emcumbrances on the home. The divorce decree states that the quit claim deed was to be placed with my attorney until she obtained a loan...

Quit Claim or Quick Claim [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Quit Claim and a Quick Claim? Also, the last year of my mothers life she was very ill and lived with me, she signed her house over to me . Now I am going to sell it, do I have to pay taxes on the money I receive? I have heard if you are over a certain age you do not...

Quit Claim off Deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband passed away in July 2006. Both of our names are on the deed of the house, but I'm not on either of the mortgages. He was approved for an interest only loan, and the property value has gone down $65,000.00 from purchasing price; and currently his loan balances are $20,000.00 more than...

Quit claim [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased a home together 4 months after we were married, but in order to get a better interest rate for the loan, and the title to go through I was asked to sign a quit claim document. Does this mean I have no interest in the home now that we are divorcing?

Quit Claim [ 1 Answers ]

I've filled out Quit Claim form. Now, I need to get it notarized. Where do you go to get it notarized? I live Oak Lawn Illinois, cook county.

View more questions Search