Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mustaine Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 02:12 AM
    When to lay fertilizer?
    Hi Im from ON, Canada. The weather this week has had highs of about 15C. I have scotts fertilizer weed control which will control dandelions. Last year I had a ton of them and want to avoid it this year. It says to lay the fertizlizer when weeds are actively growing. Do I lay this down in the next couple of weeks. I see no weeds growing yet, but I just don't want to put the stuff down too late.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2006, 03:59 AM
    Sounds like your weather is about the same as mine in central Ohio.

Our rule of thumb: When "things start blooming" put down the first application.

... so put it down now; but don't count on that to last the season. I give my home 5 treatments per year:
    1. Crabgrass prevent in March
    2. Weed & Feed (fertilizer & weed control) in April
    3. Again in June
    4. Again in August (excepting for years that it's so hot we've got burn-out)
    5. Heavy fertilizer only in October

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weed and feed lawn fertilizer [ 4 Answers ]

I had a very old lawn. Last Fall, aerated and double seeded and it looked like Better Homes and Gardens. In spring I used the Scotts Step I fertilizer with halts. Now I used Step 2, Weed and Feed, and the lawn looks terrible. It gets browner every day, I think it killed all the new grass. What...

Need advice on fertilizer application [ 4 Answers ]

My goal is to control/eliminate the broadleaf weeds such as dandelions. I'd like to apply a Weed and Feed type fertilizer tonight but the weather forecast is calling for 3 days of light rain - is this good in that it'll help the fertilizer to get into the soil or is it bad because the rain may wash...

Grub Control and Fertilizer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I will be putting down grub control and fertilizer this week because it is going to rain. Does it matter which order I lay them in? Thanks, Paul

Fertilizer [ 1 Answers ]

What better scotts or sta-green. Scotts is $42.00 Sta-green is $26.00

View more questions Search