Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Mount Shasta
    The glaciers on Mount Shasta in California keep growing

Glaciers on California's Mt. Shasta keep growing - USATODAY.com

Is this evidence of global warming or cooling ?

I don't know... maybe I should ask my psychiatrist .

Doomed to a fatal delusion over climate change | Herald Sun
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Tomder:
    You don't need a psych
    I think them global warming alarmist just watched Frosty the Snowman one TOO many times.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Aside from the Mt Shasta news, glacier melting and increased movement contributes little to rising sea levels, and here's a revelation, Higher CO2 levels may be good for plants. If you knew that rising CO2 levels were good for plants then go to the head of the class and forget the shrink :)
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Yeah Quinn the radio talk show host has been saying for over a year that plants need the CO2 and the environmentalists are trying to fix one problem with another that will only create worse results. As he says that is a true sign of a wacko liberal.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 12:01 PM
    So that's why my tomatoes are growing so well this year!!
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2008, 12:07 PM
    ... and it is why this summer is the coldest, dampest, least sunny summer I have EVER seen in over 50 years!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Hello:

Gosh. I pricked my finger and didn't die. Maybe death is just a hoax too.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Then again ;if I thought my finger being pricked would result in my death ,perhaps I would also need that psychiatrist .
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 07:19 AM
    And speaking of needing the shrink . I think this group here should walk to the head of the line

Our leaders are in carbon-cloud cuckoo land - Telegraph
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Hello again, tom:

If I thought that more snow on Mt. Shasta meant that there's no such thing as global warming, I'd certainly never admit my ignorance to my friends.

excon

PS> Tell me this, of man of science. If more snow on Mt. Shasta means that there is no such thing as global warming, wouldn't the fact that there might not be any polar ice this year for the first time in millennia, mean there IS such a thing as global warming?

Or are you going to say, like your unbelievably ignorant brethren, that it's a good thing because it would open up new sea lanes?
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Well I 'm glad you asked that question . I will use science and common sense to give you a plausible hypothesis as to why the polar ice is melting .

Hidden 2.5 miles beneath the Arctic surface, there are volcanoes.They formed along the Gakkel Ridge, where two rocky plates are spreading apart, pulling new melted rock to the surface.

Fire Under Arctic Ice: Volcanoes Have Been Blowing Their Tops In The Deep Ocean

Gakkel Ridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please note the location of the ridge in relationship to the pole...

And compare it to the map location where the ice melt is happening the fastest according the Independent UK .
    Exclusive: Scientists warn that there may be no ice at North Pole this summer - Climate Change, Environment - The Independent

Until now, scientists thought undersea volcanoes only dribbled lava from cracks in the seafloor. The extreme pressure from the overlying water makes it difficult for gas and magma to blast outward.

But Robert Reeves-Sohn of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts discovered jagged, glassy fragments of rock scattered around the volcanoes, suggesting explosive eruptions occurred between 1999 and 2001.The eruptions discharge large amounts of carbon dioxide, helium, trace metals and heat into the water over long distances.

Now I see that some scientist dismiss this hypothesis ;but I think it is at least a plausible as any other explanation I've heard.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Hello again, tom:

Hmmm. Very interesting.

In truth, I don't know if putting tons of CO2 into our atmosphere effects the climate or not. However, my common sense says that it does.

I was born in a time when we thought our space was soooo big, that we could just throw our trash into the street and it wouldn't matter. But, we found out that it DID matter. When I was in the Navy, we thought the oceans were sooo big, that we could just throw our trash off the fantail and it wouldn't matter. But, we found out that it DID matter.

Seems to me that you think our atmosphere is sooo big, that we can just throw our trash out there and it won't matter. But, I think we're finding out that it DOES matter.

Given our not so good history, why would you think that it wouldn't matter?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Because I think that this is the new version of Y2K
    Even though there are hundreds of scientists who doubt the conclusion ,anyone who disputed it gets branded a charlatan . Especially galling is that the high priest of the movement in no way practices what he preaches . What ? The Goracle traded in his carbon consuming mansion for a grass yurt ? I don't think so.

What they propose as a solution is draconian ,and even if possible without wrecking the economies of the developed world ,will take a longer then they claim we have.

The history of the climate that we have recorded shows periods of warming and cooling much more severe than what is predicted . Was there SUVs driving around when Greenland was green ?

Conservation and cleaning the air are worthy goals without this pretending that what is best a hypothesis is "settled science" .
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Hello again, tom:

I understand now.. If weren't for some LIBERAL imposing his will upon you, you'd be throwing your garbage in your alley.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Perhaps you did not read my response carefully .

Conservation and cleaning the air are worthy goals without this pretending that what is best a hypothesis is "settled science" .
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Yeah it is not an if you don't believe in global warming then you are for pollution as people have made it out to be. It is more Don't buy into the political scam.
    Global warming is being set up as a way to later control us even more. Already they are saying not only will we need an emissions sticker on our cars but now they ARE working on stickers for the car for global warming too.
    Then we are going to have to go to the carbon credits. The poorer will be out of luck once their credits are used up.
    Basically they are setting it up as another way to 'tax' us.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 10, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Not to worry! Goracle will come up with a plan to move those glaciers from Shasta to the pole. It will only cost a gadzillion dollars which will be taken away from only people earning over 1/4 mil. Annually.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 10, 2008, 07:54 PM
    If you believe that co2 is resposible for global warming, and humans are responsible for it, then why don't these beleivers do their part: take a deep breath and NEVER exhale. I would like to see the Goracle demonstrate this.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Yeah, you still need a psychiatrist! LOL! Just pretending everything is just hunky-dory doesn't mean things are JUST GREAT! (This is a big problem for the religious right, like yourself, who substitute education with wishful thinking! Hey, it's easier! )

Check the latest news on the glaciers in the Southern Hemisphere!! :(
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Yeah, you still need a psychiatrist! LOL! Just pretending everything is just hunky-dory doesn't mean things are JUST GREAT! (This is a big problem for the religious right, like yourself, who substitute education with wishful thinking!! Hey, it's easier!!)

Check the latest news on the glaciers in the Southern Hemisphere!!. :(
    Yeah, a glacier in Argentina calved in winter. If they're smart they'll take advantage of the situation and make beer out of it - like the Greenland Brewery does.

Capitalism and ingenuity at work solving the problem of rising seas due to global warming. All that extra CO2 in the atmosphere is probabaly great for our hops crop, too :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wet mount and dry mount preparation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the advantage of using wet mount preparation instead of dry mount preparation?

How to mount a wall mount pot filler [ 3 Answers ]

I was thinking about installing a wall mounted pot filler in our kitchen. What type of fitting and mounting does this require. I am using ½” copper to a thread male. I will secure the pipe to the stud. Is this correct. How far out does the thread need to stick out of the wall.

Wet-mount preparation [ 4 Answers ]

What is the advantage of using a wet-mount preparation in the study of living cells?

How do I plant White Knight Shasta Daisies? [ 3 Answers ]

I have never gardened before so I really don't have a clue. Complete dummy when it comes to gardening. I have a little space in front of my house that is about 4'X3'. It's at the same level as my sidewalk and driveway. I bought 4 daisies in planters. How do I prepare the soil? How far down do I...

View more questions Search