Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    need2mow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Murray Ultra Lawn tractor not starting
    I have 15 year old Murray Ultra Lawn Tractor. It has been wonderful. However, now it seems there is something wrong with the starter. It gets fire, but when it tries to turnover it makes a very high pitch "whirring" sound and won't engage. I replaced the spark plug a week or two ago and it has gas. Like I said, it fires, it just doesn't seem like the starter is engaging. It would seem to be a starter or solenoid problem but I don't know how to tell which is which. I have never had a problem with starting this mower except for a dead battery or spark plug. Please help.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Well You Say It Fires?? If The Starter Is Not Engaging, I Would Have To Assume You Are Referring To "fires" As The Starter Making The High Pitched Sound. If This Is The Case, You Need To Replace The Top End Of The Starter , Or More Difficult , Replace The Ring Gear On The Bottom Side Of The Flywheel. You Should Be Able To Remove The Dust Shield From The Top Of The Starter And See The Gears On The Upper End, You Can Also See If There Are Teeth Broken Off The Flywheel. If There Are Teeth Missing Off The Flywheel Gear, (ring Gear), You Could Move The Flywheel By Hand And Try Starting.

Jul 20, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by need2mow
    I have 15 year old Murray Ultra Lawn Tractor. It has been wonderful. However, now it seems there is something wrong with the starter. It gets fire, but when it tries to turnover it makes a very high pitch "whirring" sound and won't engage. I replaced the spark plug a week or two ago and it has gas. Like I said, it fires, it just doesn't seem like the starter is engaging. It would seem to be a starter or solenoid problem but I don't know how to tell which is which. I have never had a problem with starting this mower except for a dead battery or spark plug. Please help.
    Mowerman2468,

Thanks. I will pull off the cover and look and yes, that is what I mean. It seems like the gears aren't engaging. I'll bet that there are teeth missing. It sounds just awful sort of like a high pitched "nails scratching on black board." I will let you know know what I find out. If I do need parts, where do you suggest I order them?
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 10:29 AM
    I Hope That You Found Your Problem. To Obtain Parts, Get These 3 Things From Your Engine:

1. Model #
    2. Type #
    3. Serial #
    Then Go To Your Nearest Briggs And Stratton Dealer, Or Some Auto Parts Houses And Hardware Stores Will Have Parts For Lawnmowerw.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Just Another Thought, If You Changed Your Battery, Did You Hook It Up Correctly?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 10:34 AM
    The missing teeth are on the starter bendix. The bendix gear is usually softer material than the flywheel so it gets sacrified. They are often nylon teeth. The replacement bendix is cheap and easy top install once the starter is removed.

Aug 29, 2007, 12:39 PM
    OK, I was able to get the cover off and what I think you are calling the ring gear has some teeth missing on the fly wheel. How do you remove that? Do you take a socket to that bolt at the top? It is very large, bigger than any sockets I have. If so, is there a trick? It spins so I would think it may be hard to remove it. Finally there is a little plastic gear at the top of the starter that is not in the best shape either. Is there a trick to getting that off? I removed the starter, but I can see how to get that little white plastic gear off. Further the brushes flew out with the springs and was a bear to get back on the shaft. Is there a trick to that if I have to take it a part again?

Thanks much for all the help!
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 10:26 AM
    OK, I was able to get the cover off and what I think you are calling the ring gear has some teeth missing on the fly wheel. How do you remove that? Do you take a socket to that bolt at the top? It is very large, bigger than any sockets I have. If so, is there a trick? It spins so I would think it may be hard to remove it. Finally there is a little plastic gear at the top of the starter that is not in the best shape either. Is there a trick to getting that off? I removed the starter, but I can see how to get that little white plastic gear off. Further the brushes flew out with the springs and was a bear to get back on the shaft. Is there a trick to that if I have to take it a part again?

Thanks much for all the help!
    To remove the flywheel it is easiest to use an impact wrench. To remove the ring gear, either grind, or drill the brads that hold it to the flywheel. They make a special tool to remove the flywheel, even though you can remove it without the special tool, be careful. Where the large nut is on the top is the shaft. And you do not want to damage that.
    richab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 07:04 AM
    Your bendix gear is probably shot take the starter off and look at the gear that pushes forward to contact or engage the fly wheel usually this gear is of softer material and is an easy fix
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2010, 02:15 PM

This isn't a job for a amuture.you should take it to a shop and have it done.
    Unless you have a air compressor,some impact tools and a gear puller laying around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Lawn Tractor Transmission [ 5 Answers ]

How can I check the transmission fluid level in a Murray Select Wide Body LT Lawn Tractor, 21 hp, 46" cut, MFG date 8.21.02. I can find NO help at the Murray website. Thanks, Phillip

My Murray 12.5 hp Lawn Tractor will not start [ 1 Answers ]

Model 405004x99, 2 year old Tractor with a Briggs & S. 12.5 hp engine has a very hard time starting. It has a clean air filter; good in-line fuel filter, clean/fresh gas; oil is new and gets spark from the plug. I have had to jump start the battery from a car and (on a different occasion) a...

Ultra by murray snow blower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Looking for impeller for ultra murray model f2484020,code5212,ser002313337309 8hp,hmsk80, any help thank you greg

Murray Lawn Tractor will not engage the trans [ 1 Answers ]

iI have a Murray lawn tractor that will not endage the transmission. When I release the lever from the push mode to the drive mode it's still in the push mode. It's a model 425620X92A. CC

View more questions Search