Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leppy_06 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2012, 06:22 PM
    How would we go about putting our four year old up for adoption?
    Three years ago my husbands ex stopped communication with him:no phone, moved, and had his almost 1 yr. Old daughter with her. We had not seen or heard from her since. About 6 months ago we saw her in a wal-mart. She ended up having all sorts of problems and the child has been living with us for about 4 to 5 months now. We are not able to take care of her and nurture her like we would like to and have discussed adoption... I am not even sure where we would start?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2012, 06:27 PM
    Why can not you not care for some child. Or is it that you don't want to?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 1, 2012, 06:33 PM
    So far, from what you have posted, this little girl is not your to put up for adoption. Where is mom now?

Apr 2, 2012, 01:31 PM
    The mother is now living with a friend, has lost her job, and has admitted to not being able to care for her... I know that not I can put her up for adoption, but her father and her mother can. We just don't know how to go about it, and that probably won't be what we will do. And I will admit that the situation has been very challenging and she has been fighting me tooth and nail, but I do care for her and don't know what more I can do to help her except for love her, and I am still trying when it comes to that. It would have been a lot easier if we would have known her growing up and if my husband would have been able to help in raising her then. We are now trying to get ourselves in order and things are just upside down. She has all sorts of scars over her head, foot, leg and we are finding more often so we are not sure going back to the mother is such a grand idea. The amount on her just do not seem right for a well taken care of child at the age of only four. We are just trying to look at our options. I am sure we will figure things out whether we get much help or not...
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 01:44 PM
    Talk to an adoption agency.

A 4 year old with issues isn't anyone's idea of the perfect child to adopt, though. But if they are serious about it, it's best to do it now before she is unadoptable and spends her life in foster care.

If you CAN do it financially, and just don't want to because the child is not yours and not easy---I urge you to get family counseling instead so this little girl is not uprooted qand left to feel abandoned again

Apr 2, 2012, 01:47 PM
    I know I was thinking that is what we might need to do too. Thank you much...

Apr 2, 2012, 06:27 PM
    OK thanks for the reddie. I told you what you have since confirmed in post #4, you can not put her up for adoption. Maybe next time if you want help put what you put in post #4 in your first post so we can understand the full nature of the situation.

Apr 3, 2012, 08:57 AM
    I put more but it cut off or something that is y the beginning didn't quite make since... but her parents cannot put her up for adoption if they chose to?? That is why I was asking... not for me. When I said we I meant the mother and father and yes I will be there every step of the way for support if they were to go that option, which I don't think we will.

Apr 3, 2012, 09:00 AM
    And I wasn't being rude or anything your answer just didn't help any...

Apr 3, 2012, 10:16 AM
    You said we and I was correcting that thinking, you are not part of this issue. I asked about moms where abouts since she appeared to have custody after they split.

Apr 3, 2012, 10:27 AM
    Oh no one had custody she just disappeared with the child out of nowhere before the child even turned a year. They never went to court or had a reason to at that time, because they had been trying to work the arrangement out between the two of them. He wasn't able to find her until the day at Wal-mart... And yes I know I am not part of the decision officially but I am here in the situation and we have all three talked about it is all. So they are involving me when it comes to discussing. I know that they make the ending decision though...

Apr 3, 2012, 11:01 AM
    Where are you located?

Apr 3, 2012, 11:06 AM
    New Mexico
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2012, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leppy_06 View Post
    And I wasn't being rude or anything your answer just didn't help any...
    Then I would suggest you understand how this site works before you post any further. You have insulted a well-respected, knowledgeable member of this site whose opinion counts - the fact that YOU don't like what was said doesn't mean it's wrong.

What do I think? I think it's amazing that this 4-year old child has a good chance of having a second "family" walk away from her for reasons I don't even understand. The child is in the way? Finances are that tight? The father didn't make any attempt to contact the mother, to support the child, until you ran into the child and mother at WalMart, at which time the mother handed the child over, no Court proceeding, nothing? That is a good question - who supported the child for the first year? The State? Certainly the father made little or no attempt to see or support the child (from what you've posted).

"She has all sorts of scars over her head, foot, leg and we are finding more often so we are not sure going back to the mother is such a grand idea." You don't THINK going back to the mother is such a GRAND idea? What does Child Protective Services think about sending her back because you are having difficulties with her? For a touch of the dramatic - I'd worry less about the scars on her body and more about the scars on her psyche.

Good you asked the question - but this turns my stomach.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 4, 2012, 06:26 AM
    My heart goes out to this child. First she loses her mother, now the family that she has come to know doesn't want her. I see nothing but a very troubled future for this poor baby.
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2012, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    My heart goes out to this child. First she loses her mother, now the family that she has come to know doesn't want her. I see nothing but a very troubled future for this poor baby.

We posted minutes apart - stomach turning situation. I see adults who walk away when the child becomes inconvenient. Sad... no, tragic.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 4, 2012, 06:54 AM
    It's very tragic. This child is going to grow up with some very serious trust issues.

Apr 4, 2012, 11:37 AM
    I am sorry if I offended anyone in any way. I didn't say that I didn't like what he had to say, all I said was that it was unhelpful to my situation. I thought this site was for helping people and that is all I was asking for, was for some help. From my point of view I am not the one being judgmental to others. Maybe try asking questions instead of shooting out accusations JudyKayTee.

This is something that is very close to the heart and we are trying to figure things out. I am more worried about her psychologically than physically because at the time she is healthy and we are coming to find out a very active girl, but of course her dad wants to know what she has been through physically because that could have something to do with her psyche.

I have not been rude, but have been responding to what others have said. My husband tried like hell to find the mother. I am not just saying this because I think he would, I was with him every step of the pain and sorrow. I am sorry he did not handle it like he should have, how are you supposed to handle it when someone disappears with your child? He couldn't say she was kidnapped because neither had official custody. He got involved again as soon as he located them and was given the chance.

The difficult thing here is it was like she was put with total strangers anyway because her father was not able to be in her life. We are trying to figure out what is best for help and right now I am hoping love will be enough. She starts school next year so hopefully in time we will learn to care for each other. Until then we will all probably get family counseling, which is definitely better than letting her be raised by strangers. I know that, and that is not what I want for her. And again I am not trying to be rude just letting everyone know as much of our lives as I can so there won't be anymore doubts.

The mother asked for us to take her because she was going through a divorce, lost her job, and had nowhere to stay; so yes we took her with no court proceedings... The little girl was told that, that man was her father until the divorce, and we have come to find out that he was the reason they stopped communication with her real dad and they disappeared. He wants nothing to do with her now. So yes, extremely tragic. Growing up thinking these things and finding everything out at the age of four.

We have had her since January, right after Christmas. You would expect her to have come with clothes and a few toys at least. Nope nothing, the mother brought a grocery couple pairs of pants, three shirts, and one jacket. We have since then filled her drawers, given her a room of her own, and are learning with one another. BY THE WAY: the guy the mother divorced kept everything for his daughter, that is why she came with nothing (bastard).
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2012, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leppy_06 View Post
    I am sorry if I offended anyone in any way. I didn't say that I didn't like what he had to say, all I said was that it was unhelpful to my situation. I thought this site was for helping people and that is all I was asking for, was for some help. From my point of view I am not the one being judgmental to others. Maybe try asking questions instead of shooting out accusations JudyKayTee). ...

I have no questions that you could possibly answer that would change my answer - and I don't think I'm alone in that.

What should the birth father have done? If someone disappeared with MY child I'd have hounded the Police and the Courts until they found her AND the child. I'm an investigator. I locate people all the time - there's no big secret formula there. So - what did he do to support the child until she was "given" back to him? Perhaps the money he would have spent during the first years of her life if he had been ordered to pay support (or had simply paid) could be spent now.

The child was in an abusive situation which could have been discovered and changed IF he had tried to find her.

As far as you having to provide clothing for her - that's what a father (and in your case, a stepmother) do.

And for the record - I have FIVE stepchildren. The "system" is not unfamiliar or unknown to me.

If you can't handle the child or the financial and emotional obligations of raising her, yes, I think surrendering her to the authorities is best all the way around. Do I think she's with "strangers" now? No, she's with her father and stepmother. She's young. With some help, she'll adjust. The question is whether you will. If you are not welcoming on any level, she'll know. Children are perceptive.

What does your husband think is the best solution? This, of course, is not your legal problem. This opens with a questiona about "our" daughter but - as I believe you said - this is your husband's legal problem.

Are you saying that the bast*rd here is the person who married her mother,supported and fathered her for 4 years, divorced the mother and somehow (contrary to law as I know it) "kept everything" (I'm assuming you are referring to "your" daughter's clothing and toys) for his daughter?

Apr 4, 2012, 12:51 PM
    Thank you I am not trying to change your answer. Just letting you know more about the situation we are now in is all. I know what he should have done and what he did lol That question was sarcastic, because he did do some of what you suggested. The system is unknown to me which is why I am turning to total strangers and asking for advice. I was not complaining about buying her clothes and toys. I enjoy clothes shopping with her and getting her things when we are able. She does not understand why she was not able to keep her clothes and new gifts from Christmas and that is why I mentioned that. I know that this is her father and so does he. She is the one I was referring, because that is how she felt, I am sure. He of course does not want to send her away or give her up especially after he has just gotten her back. Like I have said, we will most-likely be looking into somehow getting family counseling as soon as we can find out how to go about that. That was good advice and is what we have been talking about the last couple of days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My g.f is pregnant and wants adoption and I have to go to jail for a year [ 8 Answers ]

My g.f is pregnant we just found out and in about a month or 2 I have to go to jail and she doesn't want to stay together and wants to put our kid up for adoption what can I do to keep my baby I am a good person and want to get my life on track when I heard I had a baby on the way I really want to...

Adoption of 15 year old [ 1 Answers ]

We have had legal guardianship of our 15 year old granddaughter since 1995, she wants us to adopt her. Her birth mother (our daughter) has agreed to sign any papers needed to make this happen, her biological father has not been seen or heard from since 1994. Where do we start?

Adoption for a 1 year old [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm currently with a new partner and expecting his first child I also have a 1 yr old whose father does not want nothing to do with her and has had no contact with me since I found out I was pregnant the problem is my current partner wants to adopt her and give her his surname as he loves her...

Adoption of a 21 year old [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to find out how I need to go about adopting a 21 year old. Does anyone have the know how?:confused:

Putting down a 20 year-old cat [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our 20 year-old cat became lethargic, weak and couldn't walk. She had bloody urine too. Her health had been failing for a long time but she did pretty well until suddenly , almost overnight, she became completely limp, weak and wouldn't eat. Two years ago she almost died but we...

View more questions Search