Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gameface Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Fine Dining Proper Table Service
    In fine dining, which is the proper way for a server to clear an unneeded plate, when the used utensils from the course aren't placed by the guest on it?

A. The server first takes the used utensils from the finished course one by one from the table and places them on the plate to be cleared while it is still on the table. Once the cutlery is on the used plate the server removes it from the table.

OR

B. The server first lifts the plate, then picks up the used utensils and places them on the plate while holding it in the air.

Thank you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 04:06 AM
    I would think that "A" would be the correct answer. Safety should come first! But, some of what you are asking may be contingent on the customs where you are located. So, it would help to know the location of where these sort of things are taking place concerning your question of Fine Dining Proper Table Service.

Thanks!
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2008, 12:23 PM
    I agree with Clough.

Having eaten in some of those "fine dining establishments" across the world, as far as I remember, they place the utensils on the plate and then clear the plate... and always from the right! :)
    dopodopo Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2008, 03:53 PM
    The proper way is to remove the plate and then take the silver out .You don't take always from the right in a fine dinning , you thake what is on the right only(knifes,spoons , glases)then you go on the left and remove the forks, side dishes or any other things are on the left of your guest.
    Speaking of always need to be a right or a left... every restaurant is choosing if the service is on the right or on the left... I've been working in many restaurants in Florida and California and all have different rules on that... ;)
    edama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 01:03 PM
    I agree all of you guys.as I know some dining rules have an exception.so you can use right left or front if it is difficult to serve in the proper way.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2011, 04:01 PM

I was taught back in my old restaurant days not to clear with silver on the plate because it tends to slide off, can fall on the guest, and can be noisy. We picked up the plate with one hand, and if there were utensils, picked them up with the other. But I've been in many restaurants that put it on the plate, then remove the plate.

My mother always taught me never to stack table items - in her generation and formal upbringing, it was considered low-class to stack, scrape or pile table items in front of the guests.
    Faizer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2011, 02:28 PM
    I would say B, because its very unprofessional to stack up other smallwares on to the main plate, specialy in front of the guests.. so pick up the plate hold it in the air with one hand and use the other hand to clear what is easily reachable and then move on to the other side (left) to finish clearing other stuffs. Now you look like a very professional Waiter. I learnt this through my 6 years of Hotel and Fine Dining Restaurant experience in 4 different countries that includes a top notch fine dining restaurant in London.

Thanks! I hope this help!
    Faizer
    ashleymae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2011, 12:56 PM
    I have been in the industry for many, many years and you start on the Right and you clear the plate and then lift the silver. For several reasons; you never pile, scrap or load a plate with anything else when clearing from the table. One, it is very tacky to load in front of the customer, two, when lifting a plate loaded plate there is the chance of something sliding and falling which could be dangerous in some cases if a knife or even fork, not to mention the food that could still be on them. You would have course start with the lady or ladies at the table. Ladies should always be served and cleared first if you are able too of course. Most gentlemen do not wish there plate cleared if their guest is still eating, so it is best to wait until the lady has completed her meal first. When there are small children at the table, I would always clear there plate as soon as they are done, they tend to play or make a mess if you don't. I hope this was helpful!
    harryhartley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
    Always clear from the right using your right hand open to the guest. Never stack plates in front of guest, avoid any "clanking" of plates and/or silverware. More than one server or server assistant may be needed so stacking plates is not necessary aka "swarm clearing" Reset table for next course, always use fresh silver and offer a clean napkin if needed. Fold napkin in a "V" shape and gently drape over guests lap NEVER coming in contact with the guest.
    harryhartley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
    Always clear from the right using your right hand open to the guest. Never stack plates in front of guest, avoid any "clanking" of plates and/or silverware. More than one server or server assistant may be needed so stacking plates is not necessary aka "swarm clearing" Reset table for next course, always use fresh silver and offer a clean napkin if needed. Fold napkin in a "V" shape and gently drape over guests lap NEVER coming in contact with the guest.
    amaitredalex72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 07:27 AM
    When you say fine dining means similar to formal.. You clear the table when everybody is done in a fine dining. Unused covers or utensils should be remove before the course come is more appropriate. You can used the unused plate as tray to pick up the unused utensils or used a small tray with napkin covered or doely or a clean plate with a cloth napkin on it.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2012, 10:01 AM
    I was raised pretty formally and was taught that you serve from the left and clear from the right. Never stack any dishes and do not put the flatware on the plate for clearing. You pick up the flatware and hold it in one hand, then pick up the plate - or whatever order is least intrusive and awkward depending on how the guest has left them on the table.

You make exceptions to make service unobtrusive so, for example, if the guest is deep in discussion with the person to their right, you might want to clear from the left to avoid interupting them unecessarily.

Like Harryhartley said, you always use fresh utensils, never stack or scrape plates at the table or in the dining room. I think placing the napkin on the guest's lap is too intrusive. I would place it on the table to avoid making them feel intruded upon or like they are being corrected or treated like a child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Displaying/Using Wood Dining Table [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a beautiful dark wood dining table with patchwork inlays. We do NOT want to cover with pads or tablecloths. Is there something equivalent to a gymnasium finish that we could put on the table that would not ruin it but allow us to use it without scratching the surface?

Untreated oak dining table [ 8 Answers ]

I have recently bought an untreated oak dining table and although I like the appearance of it I am concerned that I should treat it someway before use to avoid staining etc. Any advice? :confused:

Unknown Lawsuit Sent To Collections! Proper Service? [ 2 Answers ]

A very good friend of mine just found out that collections is after her for a settlement from a lawsuit that she apparently lost. She had no idea the lawsuit ever happened. She was never served and never even had a chance to defend herself. What can we do? It sounds like the judgment has already...

Dining table surface [ 2 Answers ]

I have a formal dining room wood table with a cherry finish. Something seems to have etched itself into the finish, either a cleaning product my wife used or something else. There are streaks that look like the table was washed with a dirty cloth. Without completely stripping or sanding this...

Height of swag off a dining table? [ 1 Answers ]

The light over our dining table is not centered over the table. I want to swag the lamp and do not have enough chain to swag to the center and need to know what a (S.W.A.G)height off the table would be? Scientific Wild Ass Guess Wayne

View more questions Search