Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmoynier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2018, 05:02 PM
    Adding Heat to food
    So, I am trying to use Pure Caspsaicin to add a little heat to some food. Now the pure Caspsaicin has come in crystal form they are Lipophilic so I have to use Glycerin to dilute it.

Now my issue.

Question #1

The crystals are rated at 16 Million SHU. The food I am making I would like to have the heat around 30,000 SHU consistently. I am trying to find out how to do the math.

Assuming I use Glycerin to dissolve the crystals how do I know what the SHU rating would be after I mixed them. One is a liquid and one is a solid. Can I weight the crystals and add to a weight of liquid or a volume of liquid? Not sure how to measure the volume as they could be compacted or light and fluffy.

Question #2

Let's assume that I can mix the two equal parts I have to assume that my SHU rating would drop from say 16 Million to 8 million SHU.

Assuming I add this to another liquid like water will it be diluted again or will it just be dispersed through out the food.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 22, 2018, 01:42 AM
    You don't use Pure Caspsaicin in this manner.
    If you want a little heat add hot sauce or fresh chillis..

16 million SHU is basically pepper spray concentrations !!!
    tmoynier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2018, 10:03 AM
    Pure Caspsaicin is used A LOT in cooking to add heat. Im guessing you don't know the math, I'm looking for exact science not just guessing like many of us chef's have done for years.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 22, 2018, 10:18 AM
    Whatever mate, I'd prefer to use actual decent hot sauces than chemical enhancements...
    BTW it's a concentration exercise which I'm not doing for you, ppm calcs bored me silly, especially as you haven't given enough information..
    All told, you cannot calculate it, you can only measure it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding water to your dogs dry food harmful? [ 5 Answers ]

My one dog which is a Lhasa is a rescued dog and has next to no teeth, So I add water to his food to soften it. My other dog which is a Boston Terrier has decided he won't eat his food unless we put water in his food too. Could that upset a Boston Terriers stomach? My husband insists that is why...

Adding heat to a spare room [ 1 Answers ]

I recently finished a spare room to move my mother into. I added 2 vents from our forced air furnace but the room is much colder that the rest of the house. It is very close to the furnace so I think this room should be really warm. The furnace is located in the basement.

Adding a second zone to Rheem fhw heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 10 year old Rheem forced hot water heater I am going to add a second zone with taco zone valves I am familier with hooking up the zone vavles but how about the heating system It just has one thermastat hooked up now do I have to add a low voltage to the circuit or can it be run off the...

Is it okay to heat up dog food? [ 5 Answers ]

Missy was put on Hills... ID for her stomach issues, but doesn't like the food after it's been in the frig, and it has gotten cold. Tonight I warmed it up for about 20 seconds and she wolfed it down. Is it okay to warm up the dogs food in the microwave? Also what about dogs laying on heating...

Whirlpool Microwave won't heat food [ 1 Answers ]

Whirlpool Microwave above Stove won't heat food

View more questions Search