Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loueye Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 07:48 PM
    Thermostat Wiring Question
    Thanks in advance for your help...

I just purchased a large older home, and I want to replace the thermostats. They are Honeywell Chronotherm III's and the digital display's are impossible to read. I'm thinking of replacing them with Hunter AutoSaver 550's. The house has a hydro air system, with A/C. All of the wiring connecting the theromostats is straight forward and with the W4 R5 Y6 terminals wired with corresponding colored wires in all the locations, with one exception. In the Master Bedroom there are 6 wires connected to the thermostat. The O W4 G R5 B Y6 terminals are wired with corresponding colored wires... based upon what I've seen in the Hunter 550 user manual the terminals available are W RH RC G Y O/B. The 550 has less terminals than the Honeywell.

I guess my question is do the O and B wires both go to the O/B terminal, or should it be wired differently? Can I even use the Hunter for this location, or should I pick the best of the Honeywell's and keep it connected to the 6 wires?

Thanks again,

Lou I.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2005, 08:07 PM
    I would try to figure pout what the sixth wire is connected to if anything. You might even luck in and find some documentation on the thermostat on Honeywell's web site. Don't suppose the former owner left any documentation. Sometimes there is stuff on or inside the furnace. If you figure out what the wire is doing, you may be able to figure out another way of getting it done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat Wiring Question [ 1 Answers ]

While installing a new thermostat I accidentally attached the blue wire (common) to the heat damper terminal on the thermostat. It is a common 5 wire set-up with red being hot, white being the heat relay, the yellow being compressor contact and the green being the fan. I lost power to the...

Basic heat only thermostat wiring question [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing a Mears w/ a Lux LV2-1042: Double Pole, Line Voltage, Heating Only Thermostat. This is radiant floor elec heat. Am not sure which wires connect to which. The thermostat has 4 wires (2 red, 2 black) Out of the wall comes, from the top- 1 black wire (hot), 1 white (neutral) and the...

Thermostat wiring question [ 1 Answers ]

OK, I have an old thermostat that needs to be replaced. Just to be thorough, the old thermostat is a Goodman mod #HPTD18-60. It's a 24v line that controls both heating and cooling and has a multistage heat pump. The new thermostat is a honeywell RTH7400D. The old thermostat uses the...

Old honeywell thermostat with clock - wiring question [ 4 Answers ]

I'm replacing an old honeywell thermostat with a new digital. The old one has the standard two wires - R and Wh, but then it has two C wires. I think they just provide power for the clock, and I'm wondering if I can just close off that circuit. The clock has two metal brush connections that...

Yet Another Thermostat Wiring Question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I hate it when my first post in a forum is a question, instead of a contribution, but maybe I can field something else in another forum for Karma :) Anyway, I'm installing a new Honeywell RHT7400D Heating/AC thermostat. Its replacing an analog Weathertron thermostat, hooked up to a heat...

View more questions Search