Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    castorbean49 Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Sep 26, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Stinky ,smell from Laundry after being washed ,but re-wet
    Help!Help! Help!

I looked this problem up on the Internet and there were several suggestions,but I am still confused, and disgusted w my current laundry problem. It smells funky! We really notice it when the ,supposedly, clean towels, dish towels, etc. are wetted again. It smells musty! and I mean it even sticks to your hands ,from just picking them off the towel bar, OR JUST GETTING THEM WET FOR THE 1ST TIME! I thought we were having too big of a load, tried that,less soap, rinsed twice,used more water, less items, using hot water, to no avail!
    The suggestions are many,Use bleach to clean out the tub,use vinegar, (white? Or red ?or apple?) on the rinse cycle or 2 rinse cycles? use Borax and dry soap ingredients,for wash cycle,no liquid fabric softener,in washing machine, we have always used the dryer sheets, but a lot, felt cleaning that dispenser on the washing machine was the problem. another sd use ammonia,another buy white towels only and then always use some bleach in one cycle or the other. Maybe these all would work, but before I go to the store and buy all these products ,I guess, I would like to know if anyone has the right combination and when and where to put it in and what amount,Will I have to plant myself in the basement to accomplish clean towels, so I can put what I need to in the right cycle? Wash or rinse? 2nd rinse cycle? I even saw one guy trying to explain how to clean the "wash filter"? On the bottom panel of the washing machine that has 3 screws and which one to turn in which direction,etc! Or maybe that was to set the water level higher! I am on disability for a bad back, I don't know if I can bend down there for that long and IF all machines have this filter or not! It does seem like there could be a little more water in there,even on the ex-lg load,Ours is the top-loading Kenmore type,fortunately, as their seem to be a lot of the NEW expensive front loaders that are really peeved! Seems that's another BIG problem! PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!! I thought it was the summer humidity and then remembered that my Mothers smelled good all the year round! But I can't hang them outside on a line all day either.(Miss you MOM!) I guess there's some product that IF I join Sams Club for $50they sell something called Odor Out or some such! But I will do what I must if I can get the right instructions and the right cycles and the right products to use! AHHH I am exhausted! and I have a lot of laundry now to REDO!
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU A MEDAL! IF IT WORKS!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Have you tried washing them with no detergent, no softener, just baking soda?
    abbymimi Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Oct 4, 2008, 07:19 PM

Had a similar problem. First time I washed the 'tub' of the washing machine with hot water and bleach - no results. The 2nd time I filled it with hot water, more than a half bottle of bleach and let it sit overnight. If this doesn't work, go to a commercial cleaning store. I had a sour milk odor in my car (hidden gallon of milk busted) and bought "Nature's Solution". It's a bio-enzymatic deodorizer that took out the smell completely!!

National Chemical Laboratories, Inc. makes it and the phone # is 800-628-2436, in case you can't find it. I'm sure that company has something to help.

Good luck!
    happytohelptoday Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Oct 4, 2008, 08:19 PM

I have this problem if I don't load clothes in the dryer as soon as the washer stops.
    JazzyJx2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Oct 4, 2008, 09:22 PM

I had this problem... I was, and still do sometimes, put TOO MANY CLOTHES IN THE WASHER! They sour inside the dryer because the air can't circulate properly.
    castorbean49 Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Oct 6, 2008, 03:08 PM

THANKS SOOO MUCH TO ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS!
    I ended up w a combination of ideas from a couple different sites on the internet:
    FIRST I cleaned the tub w a small amt of Lime-Away & HOT water, then changed to a DRY lndry. Powder w bleach already in it,but using about 1/3 of the amt. suggested,(many use WAY too much soap)combined w a bit of Borax,( FYI-"they" ALL say, use NO liquid fab. Softener ,as it gets clogged in the dispenser and if not cleaned regularly, causes an odor, plus it puts an oily finish on items, making them less porous,i.e.towels, I have always used sheets in the dryer, anyway.) I also used some white vinegar in the rinse cycle. IT WORKED MIRACLES! NO STINKINESS! Another tip I picked up was to use a ball of aluminum foil and a dryer sheet in the drying cycle,the foil cuts down on the static, works great,too! But keep track of the foil ball as it gets pretty small,golfball-size, and you may end up w a lump in your bedding ,or towels or whatever! This is definitely a more complicated process, but it works and is worth it! Thanks again!-CASTORBEAN49
    P.S> Always leave the washer door open, after use,bacteria love dry,moist,dark places to grow and create a stink!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by castorbean49 View Post
    THANKS SOOO MUCH TO ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS!
    I ended up w a combination of ideas from a couple different sites on the internet:
    FIRST I cleaned the tub w a small amt of Lime-Away & HOT water, then changed to a DRY lndry. powder w bleach already in it,but using about 1/3 of the amt. suggested,(many use WAY too much soap)combined w a bit of Borax,( FYI-"they" ALL say, use NO liquid fab. softener ,as it gets clogged in the dispenser and if not cleaned regularly, causes an odor, plus it puts an oily finish on items, making them less porous,i.e.towels, I have always used sheets in the dryer, anyway.) I also used some white vinegar in the rinse cycle. IT WORKED MIRACLES! NO STINKINESS! Another tip I picked up was to use a ball of aluminum foil and a dryer sheet in the drying cycle,the foil cuts down on the static, works great,too! But keep track of the foil ball as it gets pretty small,golfball-size, and you may end up w a lump in your bedding ,or towels or whatever! This is definately a more complicated process, but it works and is worth it! Thanks again!-CASTORBEAN49
    P.S> Always leave the washer door open, after use,bacteria love dry,moist,dark places to grow and create a stink!

What an ordeal - but I'm glad you found the secret.

I once went on vacation and left the washing machine door closed - and, yes, I came home to - blech!
    daizymom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 05:15 AM
    Run a cycle with no laundry soap. Odors stick to the residue left behind. Once you have washed them without soap dry as usual, and for future, cut the amount of detergent you are using. You really only need to use about half of what the manufacturers recommend, and a 1/4 or an 1/8 for a front loader.
    leveret2010 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2008, 06:01 PM
    I had this problem with towels. I read on the internet to try BORAX. I have a front end loader washing machine. I ran a cycle empty with BORAX and then ran a load of towels with the BORAX. The smell was gone and has not returned. It worked for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Overflow- Stinky Smell [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Michigan. We have been slammed with snow, that is just now beginning to melt. Yesterday I noticed, when I wash my basement toilet overflows and lets in a sewer smell:eek: . Then today when I gave my infant a bath and drained the water out the basement toilet overflowed again with the...

Stinky smell [ 3 Answers ]

I have sears kenmore fridge and recently smells when I open its freezer

Stinky smell from my bathroom or septic system [ 2 Answers ]

My house has its own sewage system (septic tank) and the house is only 2 years old ( built in 2006). Starting last week, we smell horrible smell from our first floor powder room and one of bathroom on second floor (this two rooms share same piples of the sewage system). All other three bathrooms on...

Stinky smell BEHIND shower. AND GNATS! [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago, I noticed a very foul odor in my upstairs bathroom and I was almost for certain that it was coming from there... but to my surprise, it was coming from the downstairs bathroom (the 2 bathrooms are stacked one on top of the other).. I found out that its coming from the downstairs...

Stinky sewer smell when using washer [ 1 Answers ]

When using washer that drains to a tub there is a stinky sewer smell. I am not sure were it's coming from.

View more questions Search