Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeandbern Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Can I 1099 someone else if I receive a 1099C
    Long story short, my wife and I are on a home loan, where a family member has the title in his name. If the property is foreclosed or a short sale is done and we get 1099c'd, can we inturn 1099 the family member thus removing that "income that never was"?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Do you have a formal loan with that family that you loaned or have a lien on the home?

And why is the loan in your name and the deed in their name, and does your mortgage company know of this.
    mikeandbern Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 04:14 PM
    I know this is complicated, but the loan is in my wife's name (this happened before we were married), and the title is in the cousin's name. He was the broker and said he needed her for the loan because of "zip codes". He said we could 1099 him if she gets one, but I don't trust him. Is this true? THANKS
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Well you can always do that, but you will need to show formal loan documents where he has borrowed the money from you or something to show him liable for the loan.

What happens when they go to foreclose and he sues you for a false deed, saying you should not have signed it over to him ?
    What happens is your credit is ruined and his is not.
    And when they go to foreclose on the property in your name and fine the deed in someone else's name, how is this going to cuase issues in the foreclosure, they can't foreclose on him, since he does not owe them money ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 12:42 PM
    You are, In my opinion, STUCK! The person whose name is on the loan is legally liable to pay the loan.

The fact that the property is in someone else's name can be construed to be fraud by the mortgage company.

You need to seek legal counsel immediately to get this problems resolved ASAP!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form? [ 9 Answers ]

Please advise can an F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form and file taxes?

H1B receive both W2 and 1099 [ 14 Answers ]

I got H1B in 2004. In 2005 I helped one professor with a project. At that time I didn't know it is not legal to work for someone who is not your H1B sponsor. In 2006 I received both W2 from my current employer and 1099 from the professor. The amount he paid me (about $10,000) was listed in #7...

Did not receive 1099 NT [ 1 Answers ]

I have just become a resident alien for tax purposes, after 2 years on J1. My problem is that I don't have a 1099 INT from my bank. I called them and they told me my interest was only 3.99 and they only send them out if interest is over $10. I'm not sure how to fill out the 1040EZ since I don't...

Will I have to pay taxes if I receive a 1099 from my short sale? [ 2 Answers ]

I am plainning to refinance my home and my mortgage company offered a "short payoff" in which I will receive a 1099 at the end of the year. Will I be required to pay taxes on this money?

Can a 1099 receive Vacation Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

If an employee moves from a W2 to 1099, Are they entitled to cash out on their remaining vacation benefits?

View more questions Search