Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BDSmith20187 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Standard Rough in dimensions for bathrooms
    We have a new home (Built 2 years ago) with an unfinished basement that I have begun finishing. The rough in for a full bath is already in place and consists of

2 in. pipe with vent through to roof for sink/vanity
    4 in pipe for toilet
    Two inch pipe for tub (need dimensions both from side wall and the end wall to center of drain.)

All pipe is white PVC.

I need to know the standard rough in dimensions from stud wall to the center of each fixture pipe.

I believe the sink and toilet should be no problem as the sink drain and vent pipe may easily be embedded in the intended rear wall and the center of the toilet drain is 12 inches from this same wall. The problem is the tub. Because of the location of my furnace/AC unit (just to the right of the intended side wall) I can only manage about 12 inches from center of drain to Side Wall and 3.5 inches from the rear wall.

Nothing is built yet and I can bump out the wall at either end of the tub, but I really don't want to get into the concrete.

2nd question.. What are the chances that there is already a trap buried in the concrete for the tub? How do I check? If not, how do I do the trap for the tub without building a platform? (yeah I know that's really three)

Thanks much
    BDSmith20187
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Hi BD

All sounds great regarding toilet and sink.

You said, the rough is already in place and that there is a 2" pvc pipe for the tub (you sure not roughed for a shower?)...where do you see this pipe? Is it stubbed out of the floor? Is it in a dapout box (a 1 square foot wooden box out) and stubbed horizontal inside the box (but covered by concrete)? I need to know how you know it is 2" pipe, its relationship to the toilet for example... then I can tell you how to hook it up.

Depending on how a person learned plumbing, the tub drain may stick into a tub box (dapout) horizontal (without ptrap and covered with dirt that you need to remove so you can fit the ptrap) or it could stick out of the ground (already attached to a trap and covered with dirt... you would need to dig this out to access pipe). A 2 inch pipe will need to be reduced to 1.5" to install a tub (install 2" trap and then reduce to 1.5" out of trap to the tub waste and overflow assembly). You need to look for this kind of stuff.

A normal tub roughs in at about 15 inches to center off side wall and 1.5 inches to center tub waste assembly off end wall. BUT be clear that each tub is different...kohler makes 30" wide tub with a 14" center.. so purchase your tub BEFORE you rough it in and take measurements yourself.
    Let me know what you find... and let me know what you think... ok? Talk soon... Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 07:12 PM
    BD, it would help if you could post a drawing or picture with dimensions. Toilets are 12" off the back wall and 15" minimum to any side wall. This is to the center of the drain. Most small bathrooms I have remodeled or built were at least 60" wide and 96" deep. You need that much for a vanity, toilet and shower and/or tub with drains all on the same 96" side wall. Go any smaller than this and I think you will run into some big difficulties. MASS is correct, I think that 2" drain is for a shower. I'm partial to Swanstone fiberglass shower pans so take a peek. Swanstone Shower Walls & Floors

Mar 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Massplumber 2008 and BalligerB1

Thanks for the fast response. I have attached pictures and a drawing of what I would like to do as far as walls etc. All dimensions in the drawing are accurate to 1/4" or better.

To answer MassPlumber2007...

The rough-in consists of stubbed in pipe with plenty of excess (as you can see in the pictures). The pipes are marked with their I.D. The tub MAY be roughed for a shower with a corner drain but I would prefer a tub if it can be done. I have no idea if there is a dapout box under the concrete. How can I tell? I willing to cut off the pipe and re-cap it temporarily.

In the drawing, the heavy black lines mark the extent to which I can reasonably go to place walls, eith due to the H/C unit (to the right in the pix and 1.5" to the left of the vertical black line in the drawing) The light blue are where I would like to put the walls. The grey are the support I-Beams and their posts. (I need to box these in but it won't affect the floor plan) The dimensions in red are from these lines to the center of each pipe. You can see the sink pipe partially imbedded in my intended wall. (not a big deal, I can adjust the wall) The big problem is the tub drain, only 13" from the side wall. I could maybe get a couple more inches toward the H/C unit as it sits in a condensation pan which is what I have shown. Currently it is 2" from the edge of the pan to the edge of the H/C unit.

You can also see a light blue, 6-10 inch high pipe in the backgroud of the pictures. I believe it is an anti backup valve to the sewer line. Don't remember what it is called. I can see a valve of some sort when I take off its cap.

BD
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Visio-Bath.pdf (29.7 KB, 683 views)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Hey BD:

Let's see: looking at this, sink on left for sure (that vent needs to run full size 2" to future vent in basement (if real real lucky) or to other 2"vent upstairs or to attic by itself and connect to 2" or larger vent up there...or penetrate roof by itself via roof boot.

The toilet drain should be 12" to center of drain from the rough framed wall. Hopefully the sink drain fits inside the wall with this measure in mind.. Does it?

The toilet pipe does not appear to have a foam wrap around it so you will be best to install a 4" twist and seal closet flange (see pic.). This just sets inside the 4" pipe and then screws through the tile or vinyl floor into cement to lock down.

The tub...Hmmm...may be a shower..? But hard to say still...even with a picture. There are showers (neo-angle type) that rough in with 2" drain at 12" off rough walls to center drain (12" off back wall, 12" off side wall)... then they make shower pans that have a rough similar to what I see there.. but would need to check the shower floor website BALLENGER posted to see if this can be arranged... even then would still have to remove some concrete around that pipe (should have been boxed out)... OR

Is there any chance that is a vent for shower... I doubt it... but very rare to see tub or shower without box around it. TAP around that pipe.. see if you can find a hollow sound... need to investigate this... need to cut pipe lower and see if there is a 2" trap roughed in (pour water down drain and then look inside and see if see standing water...confirm that it is 2".. if so and all mentioned here... then most likely roughed in for that shower.. or similar.

YOU can change this "shower rough" to a TUB if you want... but will definitely have to chop up some concrete... let me know if you want to.. will discuss.

Otherwise, all looked good regarding your picture... Green pipe has a backwater valve in it... I think.

Hey, get back to me with any thoughts.. ok? Talk soon.. MARK

I am wondering where the vent is for the tub/shower?. Hmmmm..
    Attached Images

Mar 11, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Mark

Thanks again for the quick response. And BTW, this will be the second bathroom I have done. In our old house I finished off its basement which also had rough in for a half bath in place . Didn't have to deal with odd placement or H/C units, but I did have to build a platform for the tub because I used what was intended to be a sink drain and routed a separate drain and vent for a sink. I had good access to all the plumbing in this split foyer. Over engineered the thing to support the tub so it'll be there long after the house is gone Anyway...
    I have imbedded my replies in your text below.

Thanks
    Brad

Let's see: looking at this, sink on left for sure (that vent needs to run full size 2" to future vent in basement (if real real lucky) or to other 2"vent upstairs or to attic by itself and connect to 2" or larger vent up there...or penetrate roof by itself via roof boot.

BDS - Tracing the vent where I can see it leads me to believe it runs up and joins with other vent lines on the first and second floors. This vent line takes a turn and penetrates to the first floor in the same bay as the return duct. Pacing things out from the head of the stairs puts this vent in the first floor half bath wall. I expect it joins that vent and continues to the 2nd floor to join another vent. I can also trace the half bath sink and toilet drains directly to one of two main house drains about 4 feet the other side of the H/C unit. I guess I need to get up in the attic... BTW, There is a 2" pipe coming out the top of this main house drain. Could this be another vent? Other drains to this main line come in at an angle and I can trace them.

The toilet drain should be 12" to center of drain from the rough framed wall. Hopefully the sink drain fits inside the wall with this measure in mind..? Does it?

BDS - center of sink drain to center of toilet drain is 12 inches. So I guess I get a toilet that needs 10 inches center of drain to edge of wall. I know they make them. Or I could jog the wall at the sink (gonna be a lot of jogs in this bath )

The toilet pipe does not appear to have a foam wrap around it so you will be best to install a 4" twist and seal closet flange (see pic.). This just sets inside the 4" pipe and then screws through the tile or vinyl floor into cement to lock down.

BDS - Yeah, I've done this before, Flange, wax seal, bring the tile up so the toilet sits nice and level and can still work with the two flange bolts... Is there a standard for this? I eyeballed it before and it worked very well.. best damn toilet in the house for 14 years...

The tub...Hmmm...may be a shower..? But hard to say still...even with a picture. There are showers (neo-angle type) that rough in with 2" drain at 12" off rough walls to center drain (12" off back wall, 12" off side wall)...then they make shower pans that have a rough similar to what I see there..but would need to check the shower floor website BALLENGER posted to see if this can be arranged...even then would still have to remove some concrete around that pipe (should have been boxed out)...

BDS - Really want a tub... sigh

Is there any chance that is a vent for shower...I doubt it...but very rare to see tub or shower without box around it. TAP around that pipe..see if you can find a hollow sound...need to investigate this...need to cut pipe lower and see if there is a 2" trap roughed in (pour water down drain and then look inside and see if see standing water... confirm that it is 2"..if so and all mentioned here...then most likely roughed in for that shower..or similar.

YOU can change this "shower rough" to a TUB if you want... but will definitely have to chop up some concrete... let me know if you want to.. will discuss.

BDS - I don't think it is a vent for the shower it doesn't go to the ceiling and is capped about 5 feet from the floor (you can see this in one of the pictures). I tapped around it to about 2 feet away. No change in sound. Might it be below the concrete in the gravel? (Home was built by Pulte if that helps). What is this box, anyway? Sounds like it is where they would put the trap (if any). I'll cut the cap off about 6-8 inches off the floor later and look. Need to get a new cap (or duct tape)

If I do have to chop concrete, I think I may hire a plumber and have them move the pipes to where I want them. Get a bigger bath that way. I am not certain of my ability to do it myself. I wouldn't mind a quick discussion, though.

Otherwise, all looked good regarding your picture... Green pipe has a backwater valve in it... I think.

Hey, get back to me with any thoughts.. ok? Talk soon.. MARK

I am wondering where the vent is for the tub/shower?. Hmmmm.

BDS - I think the intent was to tap off the vent line to the sink and run it over to the shower. That's what I was planning.

Thanks again
    Brad
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
    BD.. I will post an answer to this in 1 hour.. check back... don't want you waiting.. talk soon.

Mar 11, 2008, 06:01 PM
    I'm still here Mark but since I can't see the lines I'm just tagging along. Bob
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 06:46 PM
    OK BD:

You are all set on vent... running vent from tub/shower (?) to this vent is good. The vent sounds like it ties into 1/2 bath upstairs.. so I think you are all set. No need to consider other vent off main line.

Toilet/sink... could also use a 14" rough toilet (they make these, too.. but limited options)... evaluate that... may need to set sink pipe out of wall under sink (vanity.. yes?) and then after p-trap picked up off branch of ty fitting, connect back into wall to join vent (via stub out you left in place during rough.. ;). Just another option. The 10" rough sounds just as easy, by the way. Just want you to know options.

Next, it goes, pipe, tile, flange, wax gasket, toilet bolts, toilet... flange needs to sit on top of finished floor.. ok?

IF you want tub, will need to chop up floor so that can access the drain (remember to find out what is under floor) reduce pipe (out of trap only)and attach a tub waste and overflow assembly... we can help with this... but is involved. HOW excited are you for a tub... hmmm..

Establish all above and then we will discuss tub if you want... glad too. FOR now, decide on tub you want... get specification sheet or get tub because we will need the center measures to pipe in... get tub waste and overflow assembly, too.

Let us know your thoughts from here... MARK

Mar 11, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Thanks Mark.

I will get back tomorrow. Got to get up at 4:30 for work. (real work.. not fun work like my basement)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Talk tomorrow... Mark

Mar 11, 2008, 07:19 PM
    You guys are in bed now and I'm still up. Know why, I'm RETIRED. I found out retired means twice as tired because I have more work than before I took the pension. See you on the flip side. Thanks Mark and Brad.

Bob

Mar 16, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Hi Guys, Sorry I was so long getting back. It appears there is a trap for the tub drain. Cut off the pipe and filled it with water and can see water remaining as it would with a trap. I gues it all boils down to whether I can squeeze in a tub by moving the condensation pan over a bit more, Or whether I dig it up and have all the pipes moved a bit so to put things exactly where I want. That will depend on what the estimates would be.

I'm pretty sure I can handle the details of the sink, toilet and tub installs once the walls/drains are properly placed Definitely will get the tub first and build around it.

I really appreciate all the help.
    Thanks Much

Brad Smith
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Hey BD:

For tub, may be able to use this tub drain to gain a few inches (see pic). Just rotate the base fitting to right! If my answers helped, please rate my answer... thank you! Mark
    Attached Images

Mar 17, 2008, 10:24 AM
    That looks ideal!! Never seen that before. Where do I get one??
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Hi Guys... glad you liked it!

I thought you might like that Bob (ballenger)! Thanks for rating answer guys!

BD.. you can purchase online or at local plumbing supplier, but most don't stock it. Purchase a GERBER only... trust me! ;)

Check out this site to get you started.

Gerber Bath Drain, Brass, Pop-up with pre-adjustable linkage, Fit-All Side Outlet: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

Let me know if/when I can help... Mark.

Mar 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Thanks Mark and Bob. This truly looks like it fixes my problem!
    Brad
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
    You did most of the work Brad!

Hey! You're not finished yet! Keep in touch as you go... Bunch of people here glad to help! Good night... Mark.
    plbr85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 03:06 PM
    12 1/2'' from rough frame since you need to remember the 1/2'' for drywall
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Hi plbr85

I know what you are saying here... all manufacturers recommend the same numbers you did. With that being said, however, all of the plumbers here on this site agree that a better fit with today's newer toilets is to rough in at 12" to the center of the flange off the rough wall....not 12.5".. The result is a tighter fit to the wall and with some of these newer toilets, specifically kohler toilets, being almost 3"off the wall with a standard 12.5" rough off the stud wall, you can see why the 12" is recommended, huh?

Anyway, I argued for facts on this a way back...hard to argue with the manufacturer, right (?), but the fact is that 12" of stud wall ends up being a better job, overall!

Thanks for your input...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standard of care vs standard of practice [ 3 Answers ]

In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?

Enclosure Dimensions [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure how to even start this word problem. The word problem is this: The area of the square base is 12 more than its perimeter. Find the length of a side. I am not sure if I need to use the area and perimeter formulas to start this problem or if I just need to use one of the formulas. ...

Target Dimensions Need Help! [ 5 Answers ]

Iam a newbie to target shooting and was wondering if someone could please help me out in regards to target dimensions for open and aperature sights. I make my own targets but need to know what the dimensions for the "Black" on a standard 10 ring target at ranges of 100yards, 200yards, 300yards etc.

Two Bathrooms [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to install a second bathroom and want two showers to work at the same time. I am replacing all plumbing but there is only 15mm feed to flat. What type of boiler etc is needed to run two showers and washing machine at the same time?

View more questions Search