Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kkeebb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 07:09 AM
    How do I stain stair railings to match older railings?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 08:09 AM

Are the old and the new the same species of wood? Most stores have a color chart for their stains on oak and pine, usually not much else. Tell us about your wood
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Sep 17, 2010, 10:33 AM
    How perfect do you want to get it? Assuming the wood is the same, matching stains exactly can still be quite difficult. The old wood wood be discoloured with potentially years of sunlight, dirt and oil. You may have good luck sanding the old wood and then staining both old and new with the same stain. Otherwise there are people who are extraordinarily good at colours and colour matching (I'm definitely not one). The best ones would probably be working in furniture repair/ antique refinishing near you - perhaps ask one for advice/ pay a few $ for them to visit (or bring them an old & new stair piece) and make some suggestions?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 12:50 PM
    I just went through this same thing,the cabinet had old growth oak face and the customer wanted the new oak(facing on 2 new shelves)the same color as the old, it took 3 different stain colors to make a close enough match.

If you can,get more than just one color,you can never make the match with just one.I am fortunate to have close-outs and mis-mixed stains from our local Sherwin Williams,I have probably 35 different colors to chose from.It does take a little mix and match but you can make it close enough to pass a quick inspection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My top pool railings are peeling. Can they be scraped and coated with something? [ 1 Answers ]

My pool top railings are peeling. I can't replace them. Can I scrape them and put a sealer of some kind on them?

Iron or alum.railings in limestone [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, was wondering the average cost material and labor for drilling limestone tread/border on top.. it would be a straight run four feet on from pavement, I have three tread slabs (first tread will be drilled center top border is limestone for the top rail of three feet to siding. So I'll have...

Custom shower railings [ 1 Answers ]

I'm building a custom shower in my summer cottage. I can't find the brass or chrome railings to finish off the shower. The ones that go along the top and front sides of the shower walls. Where can I find these?

Stair building [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of finishing the basement and only have the stairs left as far as framing. What do you think, rework the stringers that are here or tear them down and rebuild them? They will remain open and have a railing running along the landing and down the stairs. My main concern is how...

View more questions Search