Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kay13 Posts: 103, Reputation: 22

Oct 19, 2006, 02:33 AM
    Can't stop loving my ex
    Someone please help! I divorced my husband 10 years ago because he made me choose between my marriage and our unborn child. I choose our child and had a beautiful baby girl alone. Since then my ex has kept me on the back burner with promises that one day we will be together. Last weekend I discovered that another woman had been staying with him at weekends and he introduced her to our daughter, I'm devastated and don't know how to get through this. Our 18 year old son hasn't spoken to him for 3 years because of how he treats me, and he is giving this as the excuse for not being a family. We had a very bitter divorce and I went through pregnancy and birth alone just hoping that once he saw the baby he would change his mind but he has been dangling the carrot ever since. Trouble is I love him and can't see a future without him, but I also know I can't go on like this.
    On my request we've not had contact for two months because it's worse when I see him, so he's picking up or daughter from my moms house. Help, I don't know where to go from here.:confused:
    wolfboy Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Oct 19, 2006, 03:06 AM
    You need to move on.
    He is not going to comeback to you.
    If you need to I would suggest you seek counseling.

I have an ex brother in law that did this same thing to my sister.
    It took her 2 years but now she is finally dating again.

Where the is a will there is away
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 06:15 PM
    You love a man that forced you to choose between your marriage and your unborn child? You were married, grown adults who already had one child. This wasn't even a crisis pregnancy and he wanted you to have an abortion or he was leaving? And he actually left? I certainly don't blame your son for not speaking to him. It's a wonder you even speak to him or anyone in your family speaks to him. It's amazing your mother actually lets him come to her house to pick your daughter up. I'm sorry, but the sooner you forget this loser, the better. I know you'll have to tolerate him due to visitation with your daughter (the one he wanted you to abort and you didn't, so he left) but I'd steer clear of him. I just hope your son and daughter eventually learn from this. I know it was difficult but you made the right choice.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 04:47 AM
    I can't believe you want to jump back into the fire after getting so badly burned. Be civil for the kids but dude is a loser.

Oct 22, 2006, 11:01 AM
    Thanks for taking time to reply guys, you've been such a help and you all make perfect sense. X
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 22, 2006, 12:12 PM
    I am a big believer in something that may sound strange but I don't think I have ever stopped loving someone I have loved. I don't believe we are meant to do that either. What I have done is limited my exposure to them, or stopped being available to them, or stopped being open to being abused by them, or if necessary and possible, stopped any connection whatsoever to them -- all while still loving them with all my heart.

It was painful but I failed utterly at killing off my love for them and my attempts became too painful.

What I could eventually see, and easier and easier each time, is they are people who are sick or unsafe to me and I love me too. So these actions were required. I learned to tell myself as I let go of each one that should some amazing miracle occur and they be rendered well or safe enough for me, that I trust my spiritually guided path enough to know we would meet again.

So far that has happened only once. I am astonished that it did too.

Am I sad about the rest? Oh yes. Am I devastated by that? No. Living in a safe, sane environment has helped me heal from some pretty destructive relationships and the incumbent loss. I grieve the loss and heal. And so can you. And wouldn't that be a marvelous lesson to demonstrate to your son and perhaps pass onto your daughter one day, should she need it?

I think daughter dropped off at Mom's is a terrific way to protect yourself. I would employ other methods along similar lines too. I hope this helps.
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Val!! Outstanding once again!! I agree so much about always loving someone - I still love my High School girlfriend. Girls I dated in my 20's - but, do I want to go back?? NO WAY!! I am sad too - about them. Beter person for them - I am better person to be with as well. I took somehting from each one of them

IT'S BROKE BECAUSE IT'S BROKEN!!

Kay13 - tough love here - but you don't ever want to be with this guy again. You had something 10 years ago - i9t broke. He's NEVER changed. He toys with you because you let him!! Ughhhhh!!

EVEN your son knows better than to have anything to do with this guy. Cut him off!! Now.

All he does is play you for his big jollies.

You' be together if things coul/would work out.

Oct 22, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Guys, what can I say? I have never looked at it like that Val - perahps it's easier to accept the love will never go away, but knowing it is healthier for me not to have him in my life. Yes, I like that. Protecting myself is good, that is what I must concentrate on.

Wildcat, yes, he toys with me because I let him! Ouch, but totally true, that man is now officially cut off! X
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2006, 02:26 PM
    Well - stop it! How to do that? STOP ALL communications with this JERK!!

You're son is only 18 AND HE KNOWS WHAT TO DO!! Follow your son - you son knows how to handle this a JERK!! You're son is smart kid.

Did I say he was a complete Jerk!!

Oct 22, 2006, 03:05 PM
    Easy there WC, she said "that man is now officially cut off" in her last post... did you not see that?
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 07:59 AM
    I saw - I want to make sure she does this though. I bet it's really hard for her.

I wasn't putting her down - I was showing how smart her son was and how kids kind of know.

She wasn't able to do this for 10 years - so she most likely won't do it in one month.

Oct 23, 2006, 08:18 AM
    I realised where you were going WC, I've thought it myself my Son got his number 3 years ago and I'm still hanging on. It is hard and it's early days but I know that I got to do it, simple as that.

I also have to try to stand back from the relationship my daughter has with him. She seems to be going through a phase of playing us off against each other. She tells me what she thinks I want to hear but to him it's another story. If I don't let it all go over my head I'll go mad!
    I hope he's met his match and what goes around comes around because from where I'm standing this all seems to be so unfair.

Oct 25, 2006, 01:44 AM
    Hi there, just having a bit of a bad one today.
    My ex told his brother that 'he will always have feelings for me, as the mother of his children'. The children he didn't want. I find that quite insulting, I have feelings for my cat, what's it supposed to mean?

He's told our daughter he has a lovely new house and he's taking her to see it on Sunday, not that he's told her he will be sharing it with a woman she's met once.

It's great how he buries his head in the sand and everything works out for him. :(

Oct 25, 2006, 06:16 AM
    Whoa, there Kay... change the channel. Less focus on him, more focus on you and others! Become "politely too busy" to hear unnecessary information about him. Close the door, hang up the phone, make a list of topics to think about instead of him to whip out of your pocket and derail any spontaneous "stewing about him" session. This is not him doing it to you-- this is you USING him to do it to you.
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Yeah, this guy is DEEP in your head for noreason - and he knows it.

IF he wanted to ever be with YOU he would. Guess what - you're not. Move on.

He will always say he has feelings to KEEP YOU ON HIS LITTLE STRING AS LIKE plan D. (not even close to plan B)

This guy really plays you - for 10 years!
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Oct 25, 2006, 08:26 AM
    This guy sees the daughter on a regular basis, that he left you for because you wouldn't get an abortion??

Am I correct in the above statement?

WOW what an contradiction! :mad:
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Oct 25, 2006, 08:29 AM
    You may think everything works out for him. Yes, he is getting a new home and a relationship. But his son has nothing to do with him, his daughter at some point will feel the same way. I can not imagine what a man is like inside that would give up his children. To be a selfish, uncaring, thoughtless man is not someone that has peace in his heart. You can not possibly feel everything works out for him. When old age comes, your life will be filled with love of your children, grandchildren and a man that cares about you. His will be emply and he will have to live with that.
    You can love the man you once loved, I do not think you love the inside of that man now. In life we often get confused when we have loved one so deeply. We love the illusion of the life we wanted and thought we had with that person. Open your eyes and see what life that man has given you. He has given you an ultimatum for your daughter,(very insinsitive), he has left you alone to raise your children(very selfish and uncaring)and has led you to believe you would be together someday(when HIS children were gone? Ouch! Double selfish! )Now a new woman and not telling you. See, you really can not love a man who has taken away 10 years of your life waiting for him while he used you. It is just a illusion of love. Yes, you can love what you had at one time, but that was a long time ago. Look to the future and pouring that love towards yourself, and meeting someone who knows what a good person you are and will love you in unselfish ways. Oh, you so deserve that. Even if you were to get back with him, I think you would feel some betrayal for what he did to you and you would find you do not even like the man.

Write down 10 qualities you want in a man. Does he have any of those qualities?

Oct 25, 2006, 09:01 AM
    Guys, thanks.

Vil, yes too much focus on him - had I re-read my post I could have seen it!

WC - he knows which buttons to press and uses it to his advantage, always has.

BIM - yes you are correct in your statement, it's never made sense to me either.

K3 - What a wonderful way of putting things, I had never looked that far ahead, but all you say is perfectly true. I loved what was, not what he is now.
    I would struggle for 10 qualities!

Once again, heartfelt thanks. X
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2006, 09:24 AM
    "You can love the man you once loved, I do not think you love the inside of that man now. In life we often get confused when we have loved one so deeply. We love the illusion of the life we wanted and thought we had with that person."

Love it!! Love it!!

Oct 29, 2006, 03:10 PM
    I just so hate it when my daughter comes back full of her weekend with her Dad.
    So now he has a new four bed house in the country and his girlfriend really wants a hot tub in the garden so he's going to surprise her with one! Good God, we're his family and we didn't even get the drippings off his nose!!
    What I wouldn't give to never hear about him again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan won't stop [ 2 Answers ]

The compressor on the a/c turns off but the fan continues to run. Tonight when I turned off the a/c at the t-stat, the fan and compressor came back on even though the unit was turned off. What is my problem? The unit is about 24 years old and the t-stat was replaced a few months ago.

Loving someone for their money? [ 45 Answers ]

OK.. when I love someone, I know that I love them for them. I'd say that I'm a nice guy, with good moral values, etc, etc. However recently I have noticed that I react differently to girls with money (with really rich parents). Like... its hard to explain it but I just want to love those type of...

In Loving Memory. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am posting this in Other Family & People, instead of Pets & Animals, because our 12 yrs old mixed breed housedog, terrior-poodle, Molly, was our "home" family. Our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson live about 4 hours drive away. I am hoping this well help me, and I know my wife has been...

Can't stop Limewire... [ 9 Answers ]

Help guys... My Boss is using a program called Limewire... and she installed it in a PC where I do my work... and I have a problem about it... cause every time I open this PC limewire open automatically, I look for the start-up programs but limewire isn't there, I try to search the setting of...

One Stop Supplier [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I'm planning to start an online store buying, selling, and trading video games, DVDs, and computer games. Do anyone know of just one supplier that may deal with all of the abovementioned items? I'm not looking for closeout items, but mainstream new releases that you...

View more questions Search