Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Help_Needed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2003, 04:47 PM
    Bath for Cockapoo that has recently given birth
    Hello I have a Cockapoo that has just gave birth and she had 5 puppies. Its been 4 or 5 days now. I wanted to know if its safe to take her a bath with soap. Because I was thinking if soap would get on her nipples the puppies would suck on them and that will cause a infection to them. So when can I take her a bath?

(is there a certain soap?)
    Thank you I appreciate for you guys helping me!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2003, 08:28 PM
    I wanted to know?
    Do not give her a bath for at least a month. Wait until her vulva has shrunk back to normal. Otherwise she could get an infection. When you do give her a bath, rinse, rinse, rinse, far more than enough to insure no soap on the nipples. One of the leading causes of skin problems in dogs is bathing too often and failing to rinse enough.

Most likely the responsible thing for you to do is to have her spayed. Did you have good homes waiting for the puppies before you bred her? Are you going to be begging anybody to take puppies whether they will give them a good home or not? It doesn't sound like you thought very far ahead from your question. Are you contributing to the 600 dogs and cats slaughtered every hour for lack of homes? I am very concerned about this. See http://www.geocities.com/~amazondoc/.../spayinfo.html = the full article
    rrt69 Posts: 89, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2003, 11:45 PM
    I wanted to know?
    It may be too early still but I would ask your vet to be sure./glow]
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2003, 04:58 AM
    I wanted to know?
    Obviously it is much too late for an answer to help the original asker. For anyone else reading this, after a female dog gives birth or even is in season, she shouldn't be bathed or allowed to swim until all the swelling is down and the vulva back to normal. Otherwise risks infections. Most pets are better off spayed/neutered.
    rrt69 Posts: 89, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2003, 10:54 AM
    I wanted to know?
    Well I'm sorry for the lateness It couldn't be help I just try and help the best I can.
    EVS Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Feb 16, 2004, 06:27 AM
    I wanted to know?
    Hi

A can be given a bath with animal shampoo as this is normally safe if they digest it.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2004, 06:40 AM
    I wanted to know?
    No, No, NO, never bath a female dog anytime from the first swelling of the heat cycle until the cycle and any pregnancy are over with and the swelling is all gone. The danger is not from ingestion the shampoo, but infection in the uterus. Don't let them swim or wade either, that is even worse.

I don't know where Peanuts gets her information. Mine comes from a large dog guide school that breeds hundreds of puppies a year.
    sammy Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2004, 09:08 AM
    I wanted to know?
    It may be too early still but I would ask your vet to be sure./glow]
    If you use a soft shampoo baby soap it will be fine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Recently off birth control and trying to conceive [ 2 Answers ]

I went off birth control in May of this yr. I still have not had my period and it has almost been 2 months since I have been off the birth control. How long will it take me to get my menstrual cycle back to normal? Any suggestions on what I can do or take to speed up this process?

I gave birth to my baby recently (alone) now the father wants a custody! [ 3 Answers ]

I dated this guy, he told me he has two kids.. and its OK with me because he was separated with the mother of the child and he has the custody of the children. But his paents are taking care of the children not him.. he still acted like a single guy! He never even work for the kids support, he just...

Why is my hair falling out so much I recently gave birth and lately I've been tired [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Im 23 years old for almost 2 weeks now, strands of my hair have been falling out like hair balls and its not breakage. Every time I take a shower when I brush it or when I take out my hair tie. I gave birth 3 months ago and lately I've been really tired all I want to do is sleep. Im worried...

She wants to break up after recently giving birth. [ 5 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been going together for about 3 years now, and living together for about a year and a half or so. We have 3 kids together now and were happy up until the birth of our last child. Our last child is only 2 months, but right after she gave birth to him she started acting...

Recently went off birth control pill [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Im 24 years old and I've been off the mini pill for over a month now. I always had regular periods on and off the pill I was due to have a period one week after stopping the pill but did not get it. Nor did I get any withdrawl bleed from stopping the pill. I was on the pill for 4 years. A...

View more questions Search