Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colorgreen46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 07:49 PM
    in the chemical reaction CaCO3=CaO+CO2, if 40.0g of CaCO3 is decomposed, how many gra
    okay, here is the question: in the chemical reaction CaCO3=CaO+CO2, if 40.0g of CaCO3 is decomposed, how many grams of CaO are produced? Also, where did "the rest" of the mass go anyway? I'm kind of confused on this question any leads would help. Thanks.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 07:19 AM

Do you know about 'state symbols'? These are symbols such as (s), (l), (g), (aq) to denote whether a substance is solid, liquid, gas or aqueous respectively.

Well, I use them in equations like that:

As you can see, carbon dioxide is a gas, and as such, will escape into the atmosphere.

Now, the equation gives you the mole ratio of each reacting substance.

All we need now is the amount of CaCO3 and CaO.

1 mole of CaCO3 gives 1 mole of CaO from the equation.

So, find the number of moles of CaCO3.
    You'll have that amount of CaO.
    What is the mass of that amount of moles of CaO?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemical reaction (H2O + CO2 + NaOH --> ?) [ 3 Answers ]

H2O + CO2 + NaOH --> H2CO3 +? I can't seem to figure this out and I still need to balance it. Can someone help me find the product of this reaction? I'm lost! I'm working on a project about the rate of cellular respiration, and I'm already stuck. Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much! :)

How many grams are in 5.66 mol of CaCO3? [ 3 Answers ]

How many grams are in 5.66 mol of CaCO3?

Reaction of naoh and co2 [ 1 Answers ]

What is the product when naoh reacts with co2

The combustion of 14 grams of CO according to the reaction CO(g) + O2(g) CO2(g) + 6 [ 1 Answers ]

The combustion of 14 grams of CO according to the reaction CO(g) + ½O2(g) CO2(g) + 67.6 kcal gives off how much heat

Prediction of chemical reaction. [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, Will the following reaction take place:- Silica sand + hydrogen --> silicon + steam SiO2 + 2H2 --> Si + 2H2O Will it be necessary to heat up the silica sand before passing the hydrogen through it ? Thank you in anticipation Lourens - [email protected]

View more questions Search