Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SmileyRedhead Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2013, 11:18 AM
    Help with wedding design?
    Hello! :) My sister is getting married and she is very stressed, so I've taken up the responsibility of being the 'wedding planner' without the pay. Well, that and I'm paying for whatever she needs :/. So, I think I've bitten off more than I can chew and I need help. Bad. I'm not asking for help with the money, or the booking, I need help with the design of the venue. It's at my best friends, uncle's, sister-in-laws mansion. Soo... It's a huge spread. But with the styling of the cake, what the cups should look like, and all of that stuff, I'm lost. Why you ask? Because of my sisters style. She's very modern, chic, glamorous, and sparkly. Her colors are silver and gold, and she wants everything to be big and shiny.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 11:21 AM
    Without knowing specifically what she likes, the size of the wedding, the budget, it's difficult to say - no, it's impossible to say.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 11:22 AM
    I will get back to this later on my laptop.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 11:24 AM
    Your questions concerning hair color, makeup ideas, clothing for proms (or something) make me think you may be out of your league here. I just helped my stepdaughter with a 200+ person outdoor/tent around the swimming pool wedding. I would not have survived without a wedding planner. There are a thousand details from centerpieces to place cards to food and back again. The "all of that stuff" statement makes me think you haven't decided on the basics.

When is this event?

This is nothing to attempt on your own without a very strong sense of style and "self."

If she cannot afford a wedding planner scaling back is a good idea.

If this were less formal my suggestions would go in another direction. An estate wedding? Again, easily gets out of control.

Aug 4, 2013, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Your questions concerning hair color, makeup ideas, clothing for proms (or something) make me think you may be out of your league here. I just helped my stepdaughter with a 200+ person outdoor/tent around the swimming pool wedding. I would not have survived without a wedding planner. There are a thousand details from centerpieces to place cards to food and back again. The "all of that stuff" statement makes me think you haven't decided on the basics.

When is this event?

This is nothing to attempt on your own without a very strong sense of style and "self."

If she cannot afford a wedding planner scaling back is a good idea.

If this were less formal my suggestions would go in another direction. An estate wedding? Again, easily gets out of control.
    I can afford it. I promise. (Accually, technically, my boyfriend is helping me out) the budget is around a million dollars, and it is in about 2 years. The spread is HUGE, again, it's in a mansion. But some ideas about what the cake should look like or something would be nice...
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 03:58 PM
    Wish you lived near me because I set up wedding receptions.
    This is some of what I am thinking. The bottom 2 pics are black and white but it would be simple to have done in silver and gold. I like the table topper *2 table clothes. You can do the centerpiece less elaborate or any way you want in any combination * a long flower, bamboo, sea shells, sand, oil candle, etc...
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 04:04 PM
    Love the ideas - but I'm wondering - a million dollar wedding but no money for a planner?
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 04:13 PM
    I'm guessing she knows little about wedding planners and wants to do this all on her own, old fashion way?
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 04:29 PM
    - read her other thread. I'm trying to get them combined.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 04:30 PM
    - read her other thread. I'm trying to get them combined.
    The report is "two different issues."
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 04:32 PM
    Ahh, yes - one issue is the wedding which is still in the planning stage and the other is not liking the dress which is not in the planning stage and has been purchased.

How did I miss that?

One wedding, two stories.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 04:35 PM
    And one romance novel
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 06:25 PM
    And a smiley face.

Aug 6, 2013, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    and one romance novel

I'm sorry but a romance novel? Where in the world did you get romance novel? Weddings happen all of the time!

Aug 6, 2013, 02:43 PM
    And a smiley face.
    Uh huh, it's a smiley face. Do you like it? :) I do.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 6, 2013, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyRedhead View Post
    I'm sorry but a romance novel? Where in the world did you get romance novel? Weddings happen all of the time!
    Not with a million-dollar budget and a 19-year-old first-time, untrained wedding planner who is a quadruplet.

Even Barbara Cartland couldn't have come up with that storyline.

Aug 6, 2013, 02:48 PM
    Ahh, yes - one issue is the wedding which is still in the planning stage and the other is not liking the dress which is not in the planning stage and has been purchased.

How did I miss that?

One wedding, to problems- multiple problems. Because more than one problem goes on at a time. Also, my sister wanted to go dress shopping more or less for fun-- release stress, so she made an appointment one day, and we went and she saw the dress and really liked it. Which also made me feel horrible for not really liking it, and that situation (along with the people who gave me advice with the question) helped me come to my decision. Any more questions, concerns, or accusations?

Aug 6, 2013, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Not with a million-dollar budget and a 19-year-old first-time, untrained wedding planner who is a quadruplet.

Even Barbara Cartland couldn't have come up with that storyline.
    Okay, that's offensive to Barabra Cartland, because that would be SO unentertaining. And also, I said that the BUDGET is ABOUT a million dollars. It's not like we have to book a place. So I doubt that it'll come up to that much... I hope. But anyway, my boyfriend is helping me out too... And oh, some people have been saying that he's a millionaire, he's not. He's living comfortably. 
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2013, 02:57 PM
    Even Martha Steward had to start somewhere. I think if I were in your shoes I'd be all into wanting to take on the task. Heck you got 2 years and you can hire caterers and anyone to take charge of anything that could be overwhelming.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 6, 2013, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyRedhead View Post
    Okay, that's offensive to Barabra Cartland, because that would be SO unentertaining. And also, I said that the BUDGET is ABOUT a million dollars. It's not like we have to book a place. So I doubt that it'll come up to that much.... I hope. But anyway, my bf is helping me out too.... And oh, some people have been saying that he's a millionaire, he's not. He's living comfortably. 
    You must be very wealthy people. My dress, wedding, and reception cost under $300. I wouldn't spend a million collars on a two- or three-hour event -- too many people need help in this world. I guess I run with the wrong crowd.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scholarship for the course of fashion design or interior design [ 2 Answers ]

hi guys I'm angelica,student in Ateneo De Naga University in the Philippines. I would just like to ask if there is available scholarship for the course of fashion design or interior design?I would like to apply since it is my long dream to become a fashion designer and/or interior designer but...

I have heard that contextual design is a great design methodology. However, I am al [ 0 Answers ]

I have heard that contextual design is a great design methodology. However, I am also hearing discussion of design thinking. Are these design methodologies different or similar. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Would it be innopropiate to wear a wedding gown for a court room wedding? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all I am getting married this August and we are just going to the justice of peace. I was wondering if it would be innopropiate to wear a wedding gown for a court room wedding?

Plastic Product design, Mold design, Plastics, [ 2 Answers ]

What are all the precautions needs to be taken during Nylon molding?

View more questions Search